Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ATI TV Wonder
    Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 10:14am
Ok so for a while now me and my girlfriend have wanted to get a DVR since both of us work insane schedules but theres the whole thing with subscriptions and how to get a tv guide if you have certain cable and blablabla

anyway, for anyone who has one or just knows about them, im curious what all i can get away with with this card:

I can record standard TV shows to my HD, then watch them when i choose?

If I dont pay for DVR service from my cable company or have a subscription like TiVo, how will it know what shows are on at which times?

mean by "free to air" hd tv?

what kind of recording quality can i expect from standard (non HD) cable channels? like 640x480 NTSC ~25 fps 3Mbps?
(if anyone has one and could host an 8 second recording on filefront I would -REALLY- appreciate it

This is the exact same product, right?

Edited by !ender_ - 22 Jan 2008 at 10:18am
Duke View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 3:47pm
Although I'm aware that its still listed in our configurator, we do not carry that particular tv tuner card anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Bloody Hypocrite View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Bloody Hypocrite Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 4:20pm
As I found out first hand. Any particular reason, or was it just a lack of availability? 
"Manners are especially the need of the plain. The pretty can get away with anything."
-Evelyn Waugh-
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 4:55pm
I have no idea.

But to answer !ender's pending question: all your local channels/stations are (or should be) already broadcasting simultaneously in digital (with limited HD programming). News, sports and their primetime shows are usually broadcasted in HD. The HD looks super BTW. Thats what that article probably means with "free-air HD."    

The FCC's mandate to switch over to digital broadcasting exclusively will come in effect by the end of this year. In 2009, all (air) TV broadcasting will be done in digital. This does not effect users conencted to cable or dish tv. Just the poor saps who are still viewing TV with rabbit ears. The government has already set aside money and plans to offer converter boxes to all these saps so they wont be left in the dark. But like all government related planning, its probably going to be one crazy ride. Expect for it by the end of this year. Does everyone remember Y2K?

Secondly, 640x480 is a pretty big resolution to handle real-time recording on any tuner card. Most tuner cards are defaulted to record at 320x240. On a standard CRT TV, this resolution looks exactly the same as regular TV would. On an HD/digital LCD/Plasma screen, this res is pretty much crap.

Edited by Duke - 23 Jan 2008 at 3:46am
dt6248 View Drop Down

Quote dt6248 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 7:25pm
I was also curious about this subject as well. Do you need a cable box\tuner set up special next to the PC or do you just run the coax cable straight into the pc and the card works as the tuner\box?

This is the card I have in mind. Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 Video Recorder, TV/FM Tuner Card PCI Interface - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815116609
Venture View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Venture Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by dt6248

I was also curious about this subject as well. Do you need a cable box\tuner set up special next to the PC or do you just run the coax cable straight into the pc and the card works as the tuner\box?

Not sure about any other cards, but my old laptop had a card in it, and I didn't need a separate tuner.  It could do it on its own.
780i MB
E6850 3.00GHz
8800GT 512MB
6GB Corsair 800MHz Dominator
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2008 at 11:08pm
hmm well thats sad but not a big deal, I guess that means im in the market for a DVR pc card (i guess the term is TV Tuner?)

Any suggestions? (all i am interested in is good quality recording of cable tv shows, HD would be nice but not needed)
Duke View Drop Down

Quote Duke Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2008 at 3:44am
Originally posted by dt6248

This is the card I have in mind. Hauppauge WinTV PVR 350 Video Recorder, TV/FM Tuner Card PCI Interface - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815116609

If you already have cable service, just connect the coaxial cable to the card like you would to a TV. The card will work as a tuner. As a matter of fact, my HDTV card can pickup the digital signals off my Comcast cable. There aren't many unencrypted digital channels though. A lot of them are just blacked out. I can view all the regular basic cable channels though.

Other than ATI and Hauppauge, checkout this brand: http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/eng/Products/fusion5express.aspx
 Post Reply Post Reply