FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DSO and Dell Comparison

Post Date: 2011-11-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DefineGodLike View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DefineGodLike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DSO and Dell Comparison
    Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 6:33am
Like everyone else here I'm trying to the biggest bang for my buck and I'm trying to understand the "big picture" of computer building.

Is there a similar DSO build that would be comparable in price, performance, support, and software to the following Dell build?

Total cost for this build, accessories, and monitor: $2,816.98 (11/13/11)
This doesn't include any special discounts.

---

Software & Services
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K (8MB Cache) Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.1GHz
OPERATING SYSTEM: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
MEMORY: 12GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
VIDEO CARD: 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6950
HARD DRIVE: 2TB RAID 0 (2x 1TB) SATA II (3Gb/s) 7200RPM (2x 32MB Cache)
MEDIA READER: Alienware® 19-in-1 Media Card Reader
MONITOR: Dell ST2420L 24-inch Full HD Widescreen Monitor with LED
SOUND CARD: Creative Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ Xtreme Audio
WIRELESS & BLUETOOTH: 802.11n Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 2.1 EDR USB Combo Adapter
OPTICAL DRIVE: Single Drive: 24X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

Software & Accessories
ALIENFX: AlienFX Color, Quasar Blue
OS CUSTOMIZATION: Alienhead Chrome Blue     
KEYBOARD: Alienware Multi-Media Keyboard
AUDIO OPTIONS: Alienware TactX Headset

My Accessories
SUPPORT: 4 Year Advanced Service Plan, DMLP
OFFICE SOFTWARE: Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2010
NETWORKING SOLUTIONS: Netgear Powerline AV 500 Adapter Kit

ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
Alienware Aurora-R3: Alienware Aurora Desktop     
CHASSIS COLOR: Matte Stealth Black Chassis with 875W Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply     
COOLING OPTION: Alienware™ High-Performance Liquid Cooling     
Adobe Reader Software: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader     
MOUSE: Alienware Optical Mouse, MG100
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz (OC 4.4GHz)
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
8GB DDR3 1600MHz DS Performance Series
GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 11:24am
It might be hard to say because what motherboard is Dell offering you? Also, if something goes wrong, those people on the other end of the phone won't be speaking English well.

I build my own PC's but I am a fervent supporter of this company (Digital Storm) because it is rare in the tech industry to not outsource customer support. It's a very important thing.

Edit: You could get the ODE Level 3 and buy your monitor keyboard and mouse separate and have way more gaming power! For less money too. Or for around the same with the sound card. But you'll be getting another gtx 570 better than that Dell system!!!

Edited by AndydViking - 13 Nov 2011 at 11:34am
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 11:35am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 2:52pm
Comparing Dell to DS is like comparing a rock to a diamond.

your dell build is not even comparable, your ram is at 1333mhz, DS does not even offer anything under 1600MHz.

the cpu is not oced to 4.1, its turboed, that means only one core is at 4.1 instead of all cores, here at DS you get all cores running at 4.4GHz or higher.

the hdds they offer are so old I have to travel back in time to last year to get 32MB cache drives from DS, but you can raid 10 hdds together you still won't get a good ssd speeds.
that dell monitor sucks, we recommend the u23 and u24 here only.

I'm not sure what kind of gaming you plan on doing but a 6950 is not gonna help you max out games like bf3 or metro at that res.

what kind of cheesy case, psu and mobo are you getting from Dell?

this has great case that the dell can't even keep up with, 1600Mhz ram ( more ram is pointless cause for gaming 8GB is more then you need to begin with), a fantastic sli mobo, 1050hx psu that can do dual sli/cf anything if needed much much better quality and reliability then dell, kickass ssd that will put that hdd raid to shame, 1TB black cavair has great speeds that other black caviar drives don't enjoy and its a 64MB cache hdd, you got a single 570 and you can add another down the line, 570 does much better then 6950, you got a great cpu cooler thats a70 and a stage 2 oc of 4.5 - 4.8 of all cores.

in short this pc will eat that dell up for a snack and not even blink:

Here you go Ticket# 616634 --- $2,409 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB (Includes PhysX Technology) (EVGA Edition)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

now this is based on you wanting to game at max setting at a 24" res for heavy games like metro and bf3.

if you don't need cf/sli ability or just want a single card solution then let me know price will be lower.

you should also look at ode 3 price is lower, its not as good in parts quality as my config but its gives you sli for under $2500.

now for monitor:

1. response time is a bs number, its there to fool you and does not represent the true response time of the monitor, there is no real way of truly finding what response time is, the closest to it is white to white but you don't see that, you see grey to grey or black to black cause they give small numbers to fool users but they don't mean anything, there are different methods to get these numbers also, and each will give a different number as results, therefore you can even compare one to the other, cause we don't know what method was used for which, and even if we did, still GTG or BTB don't mean anything.

2. contrast ratio is also bs number.

Most important thing about a monitor is its panel, right now there are 2 major ones, TN and IPS, IPS has superior picture quality/clarity.

Dell does have some good ips panels:

Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Dell UltraSharp u2312

you never buy those monitors at full price as there are sales and coupons that will save you money, one of those monitors plus my config, it 100 times better then the dell build and the non ips panel you have listed.
DefineGodLike View Drop Down

Quote DefineGodLike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 7:37pm
Thank you guys so much for showing me "the power" that DSO has! Once again, thank you very much for helping me out! :D
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4GHz (OC 4.4GHz)
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe
8GB DDR3 1600MHz DS Performance Series
GeForce GTX 570 1.2GB
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2011 at 11:35pm
Well to be honest thats not all, in 5 years or so if something goes bad and dell no longer carries your part then you are short, DS pcs are made from retail parts so when they go bad we can replace them with whatever we like.

whey don't you tell use the use of the pc, and if its for gaming the res you gonna be gaming at so we can help you get your money's worth.
 Post Reply Post Reply