Post Date: 2010-12-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Dual Monitor / GPU Temps Question
    Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:07pm
Hello all,

I'm currently in the process of "bettering" my monitor setup at home. For a few years now, I had been using a 1650x1080 single monitor. I just recently purchased a 1920x1200 monitor. (The ultimate goal here is to have 2, 24" 1920x1200 monitors).

I have SLI GTX 580's and I only game on one monitor.

I have a question, as not only is this my first time ever having SLI, its my first time having two monitors at home and being concerned about temperatures.

Before I upgraded to the two monitors, my 580s would idle around 32-38C with just the single 1680x1050 monitor (I think they were incredibly bored). Now that I've plugged in the new 1920x1200 monitor, alongside the older 1680x1050, the temperatures on the top card have gone from around 34C idle, to 58C idle. The bottom card has moved up to around 37/38C idle.

I know that using two monitors, at two different resolutions is taxing on a GPU, but both GPUs are reporting 0% usage in afterburner, so I believe this is true idle.

I tested it, by checking just using the old monitor, temps went back down, and by just the new monitor, where temps were still higher, but not nearly the high 50's. I have not had a chance to test any load temperatures.

Is that kind of jump (37 to 58C (top), and 32 to 37C (bottom)) to be expected just from adding a second monitor?

Edited by Tidgxor - 29 Dec 2010 at 4:09pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:12pm
top gets more heat cause it takes the bottom card, you don't need sli for gaming on one monitor, so you can remove one card if you like, but that is a whole different story.

are the fan settings the same for both? is the fan running the same speed for both?

if yes then try connecting the second monitor to the second card, and see if that makes any difference.

I have same thing going on, on my DST, and the load temp for the top card is the same, both monitors are connected to the first card, I am with LC tho.

don't worry about idle temps, load temps are what matters, what are the load temps?

Edited by DST4ME - 29 Dec 2010 at 4:13pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:45pm
The whole reason I actually got SLI, has to do with some upgrades I'm making in the coming months (even beyond those stated above), I just want to make sure things are ok for now. I'd rather keep the 2nd card in there, but if I'm hurting something, then I guess I could take it out.

Here is a screenshot of afterburner, after about 25-30 minutes of Bad Company 2, on the highest settings I could select. I took the picture as soon as I closed out of the game. I know this isn't fully scientific or for an extended duration, but its the best I have right now Big%20Smile

Oddly enough, GPU 2 seems to be hotter under loads. It should be noted, that I have not set up any form of custom fan profile (though I'm definitely open to advice), though I believe that the card's fans are currently linked.

Oh I just looked, the max fan RPM for GPU 1 was 2250, while GPU 2 was 2580.

Edited by Tidgxor - 29 Dec 2010 at 4:46pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 4:53pm
both temps look similar, yes the max temp was higher on one but for most time looks like they share the same temp, so that is good, now you need to set you fan to run at at least 80% when temps hit 80c, 90c fans should be 100% IMO.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 5:02pm
Do you know of any good resources where I can see pictures of other SLI fan profiles? It seems like a lot of people seem to prefer a "stair-step" style profile, or more of a "slope" style profile. I'm new to the whole custom fan profile thing. I don't doubt your advice, I plan to use it, but seeing it in an actual picture would help me visualize how to set it up.
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 5:33pm
I like having one like this. It will find its own nice balance between cooling and fan speed.

Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 5:53pm

it does not take long to get one worked out, the one Dragoonseal posted will work for a  base, then mod it as you feel to keep temps where you like them, and noise levels of happiness. LOL

also bump that voltage up, and get some performance out of those puppies. Hahaha

Edited by justin.kerr - 29 Dec 2010 at 5:54pm
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 5:58pm
Thanks for the example Smile

Justin, I plan to put my neophyte self to the test in regards to the performance of both the GPUs and CPU once I get everything in place and some of the work I've slacked on during the Holidays caught up.

Edited by Tidgxor - 29 Dec 2010 at 5:59pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 6:06pm
Ya start with dragon's and see how temps do, then modify it as needed, tho I have a feeling that is gonna get you what you need.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 6:07pm
With the Fan Profile customized, do I need to have MSI Afterburner set to run at startup?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 6:25pm
YES. 

once you get the Voltage to about 1.4V they really clock high, if you can keep it cool. Evil
 Post Reply Post Reply