Post Date: 2010-11-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: intel vs AMD memory controlers
    Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 3:37pm

john,how you say”we already have leading memory performance”. Intel has better memory controler than amd and u know this,they have much better L3 cache performance and L1 data,instruction too,is more visible.Or you refer at other thing?
John Fruehe October 23, 2010

• 2P Memory Throughput (STREAM)
    AMD: ~54GB/s
    Intel: ~37GB/s

4P Memory Throughput (STREAM):
    AMD: ~104GB/s
    Intel: ~75GB/s

In what parallel universe does lower overall memory throughput translate into a “better memory controller”.

Do not confuse technology with performance. Customers don’t buy technology, they buy results, and the way it stands today, we deliver much better results.

Anton October 23, 2010
    • Could you please specify the memory type/speed/number of channels for the numbers above ?
      If i understood correctly, it is 2×4-channel (2 processors, quad-channel DDR3-1333) system from AMD and 2×3-channel from Intel in the fist case and 4×4-channel system from AMD and 4*3-channel system from Intel in the 2nd case, which gives the comparative numbers (relatively to the maximum possible throughput) in the form like:
      2P Memory Throughput (STREAM)
      AMD: ~54GB/s out of 80GB/s (67.5%)
      Intel: ~37GB/s out of 60Gb/s (61.2%)
      4P Memory Throughput (STREAM):
      AMD: ~104GB/s out of 160Gb/s (65%)
      Intel: ~75GB/s out of 120Gb/s (46.7%)

Would be such an interpretation a correct one ?

John Fruehe October 23, 2010
  • http://www.amd.com/us/products/server/benchmarks/Pages/benchmarks-filter.aspx

We have 4 channels of 1333MHz memory in both 2P and 4P.

Intel has 3 channels of 1333MHz in 2P and 4 channels of 1066MHz memory in 4P.

UH what! i always thought intel was better at this. im not as expericensed at this. using the numbers here. whats better?
steam friends is kainhall
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 6:18pm
so, is this true? or can it even be proved? AKA bump
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 6:34pm
we have been through this a million times, stock performance means 0 on this site.
I have shown benchmarks where I beat 4 AMD CPU's, against my single Intel CPU in memory performance.  that should speak enough right there.Hahaha

we want the most performance, with complete stability. the AMD fails badly right now, and has for the last few years.  
 I have owned AMD CPU's and loved them, but that was when AMD was the better choice. Big%20Smile
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 6:51pm
you cna overclock the memory controler? see, i would know this, but the BIOS on this 6 year odl MOBO freezes......

and im not trying to fan boy here, sorry if it came out that way. i jsut found this info and went.........wait... what?
 Post Reply Post Reply