Buying Today. Need Help with a Few Questions

Post Date: 2010-05-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Buying Today. Need Help with a Few Questions
    Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:42pm
I'm getting ready to buy a new PC today. Previously I've built my PCs, but I don't have the time for it this time and I've heard good things about Digital Storm, so I thought I'd give them some business.

I use my PC for just about everything and do all sorts of stuff with it. A lot of gaming, Photoshop, and even a little video editing from time to time (once a year or so on average). Those are the most intense things probably. I run all sorts of apps and like to have many processes going at the same time.

The configuration I came up with is as follows:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS Assassin Edition
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 FTW3 Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (2TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVDąR/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB HOT SELLER (Sapphire Vapor-X 100281VXSR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Xtra Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

Here is where I have questions.

The case: It appears that the Assassin case is SilverStone Fortress II. According to the Digital Storm website pictures (pic 1) the case is 24" high and 19" deep. According to SilverStone, the Fortress II is the reverse (19" high and 24" deep). Anyone have one of these from Digital Storm and can you confirm that their information is wrong, or is their case different and I'm wrong about it being a Fortress II?

I'm trying to figure out which case will have the least noise. I like things quiet, but I don't want to water cool.

I decided to go with the EVGA X58 FTW3 because it has USB 3.0 and I might add another video card to run in Crossfire mode later.

I've got my own audio card that I'm thinking about adding. It is a Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro (the one with the external controls). According to Creative's website they do have Windows 7 64 bit drivers for it. I thought I would add it if it isn't too much trouble. I've also considered going with stock sound.

I read up on the CPU fans offered and the Noctua Dual 120mm Fans had good reviews, so I decided to go with it.

Here are two more case related questions:

First, I ordered the sound dampening material, but I'm not sure if it is needed with this case. According to reviews of the Fortress II, it comes with sound dampening (but I don't know if it is as good as this). Any ideas?

Second, I ordered the Zalman performance fans. Again, the Fortress II is supposed to come with them, so I'm not sure if this is overkill, but I used Zalman fans in my last build and liked them. Any thoughts?

Here is my last question. I noticed that there is a sale on something called Microsoft Office OneNote Home and Student for $55. Does this include Word, Excel and/or Powerpoint? Since I'm a teacher I can get the student deal and this is a much better price than what I've seen around. Also does it come with a free upgrade to Office 2010?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light on these questions. I'm planning on ordering today to take advantage of the sale. I tried to call Digital Storm, but they are not there due to the holiday no doubt. I will sort it all out tomorrow if necessary, but would prefer to get these questions answered in advance if possible.

Shannon
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by sbradfor

The case: It appears that the Assassin case is SilverStone Fortress II. According to the Digital Storm website pictures (pic 1) the case is 24" high and 19" deep. According to SilverStone, the Fortress II is the reverse (19" high and 24" deep). Anyone have one of these from Digital Storm and can you confirm that their information is wrong, or is their case different and I'm wrong about it being a Fortress II?

That was a typographical error, it has been corrected. Thank you for brining this up to us.

First, I ordered the sound dampening material, but I'm not sure if it is needed with this case. According to reviews of the Fortress II, it comes with sound dampening (but I don't know if it is as good as this). Any ideas?

You won't really need it for your chassis. However, if you do want a quiet computer, we can do the other part of the work for you where we adjust each and every fan to ensure your system is very quiet. It would basically be half the price of the current 'Noise Suppression' package and simply indicate that in your order and we'll adjust accordingly.

Second, I ordered the Zalman performance fans. Again, the Fortress II is supposed to come with them, so I'm not sure if this is overkill, but I used Zalman fans in my last build and liked them. Any thoughts?

You won't need this as there aren't enough spots either to use Zalman fans.

Here is my last question. I noticed that there is a sale on something called Microsoft Office OneNote Home and Student for $55. Does this include Word, Excel and/or Powerpoint? Since I'm a teacher I can get the student deal and this is a much better price than what I've seen around. Also does it come with a free upgrade to Office 2010?
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 2:14pm
Many thanks Alex for the quick response! That helps a lot!

Which of your cases has the least noise?
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 2:33pm
In the pictures of the Assassin, there is something in the first two drive bays that is blue. What is it? Is it still available for order?
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 2:38pm
One last thing in case people were wondering why I went with an ATI (AMD) video card instead of nVIDIA. I did this because my current monitor (a Viewsonic 28" vx2835wm) does not work with my current GTX 260 nVIDIA. nVIDIA has a bug in their drivers that they haven't fixed for over a year and I'm tired of waiting.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 2:54pm
What does this do?

Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:06pm

What does this do?

Basically we disable non essential Windows related tweaks to increase system performance.

In the pictures of the Assassin, there is something in the first two drive bays that is blue. What is it? Is it still available for order?

That's actually the fluid tank for our Sub-Zero LCS liquid cooling system.

Which of your cases has the least noise?

The Assassin is a great choice.
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:19pm
Thanks again Alex. I'm already loving the support. Since I used to build PCs, a lot of people ask me where to buy. It's looking like I've found a great place to recommend and it's close to Ukiah where I live!

By the way, can I pick up my PC once it is ready? Is that an option?
GosuHyunwoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:34pm
Don't get the sound dampening material. Trap noise then you trap heat.
Also I don't recommend zalmann fans, they are very loud.
12 gigs of ram is not going to matter, I could come in the middle of the night and steal 6 gigs and you wouldn't notice a thing in gaming.
Saphire vapor 5870 isn't a reference card and doesn't have overclocking potential.
Real sata 3 isn't out yet.
Change powersupply to corsair.

sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by GosuHyunwoo

Don't get the sound dampening material. Trap noise then you trap heat.

Excellent point about the heat trapping.

12 gigs of ram is not going to matter, I could come in the middle of the night and steal 6 gigs and you wouldn't notice a thing in gaming.

I work with some really large files (and have a lot of them open in Photoshop at the same time). That is why I wanted the extra memory.

Saphire vapor 5870 isn't a reference card and doesn't have overclocking potential.

What ATI based card would you recommend then?

Real sata 3 isn't out yet.

That is news to me. Kind of like wireless n was for awhile eh? I'll check into this.

Change powersupply to corsair.

Which Corsair? The one that is the same price? Why Corsair?

Thanks for the tips.
GosuHyunwoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:46pm
If you think you need 12 gigs of ram go ahead, it's going to slow down your overclock though.
We need to know your resolution before we choose a graphics card.
Depends on what graphics card you are going to get, Corsair is a better brand and is more reliable then the generic digital storm brand.

sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 3:50pm

If you think you need 12 gigs of ram go ahead, it's going to slow down your overclock though.

Good point. I had forgotten about that.

We need to know your resolution before we choose a graphics card.Depends on what graphics card you are going to get.

My resolution is 1900x1200. I'm looking to spend around $300 - $400 for the graphics card but it needs to be ATI based (see post above).

Corsair is a better brand and is more reliable then the generic digital storm brand.

I didn't realize it was generic. Agreed. Thanks for pointing that out.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 4:44pm

Corsair is a better brand and is more reliable then the generic digital storm brand.

I didn't realize it was generic. Agreed. Thanks for pointing that out.

I disagree. Both memory either Corsair or Digital Storm Certified are made with the same chips, the same process, and same testing standards.

Obviously Corsair has built a great brand behind their products. If you willing to pay a premium, by all means purchase Corsair, they are great.

However, both memory brands are equal in terms of reliability, etc... In addition, both brands have a life-time warranty.

We offer our 'Certified' products to offer our customers savings where they can use them in other areas of their build. Our certified memory in the past has been: Mushkin, Kingston, and Super Talent.

Edited by Alex - 31 May 2010 at 4:45pm
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 4:59pm
I think GosuHyunwoo was talking about the PSU, but maybe I'm mistaken Alex.

Thanks for the insight onto your generic. I've used Mushkin and Kingston (along with Corsair of course).

Can you tell me who makes your 750W PSU?

Thanks again for the help!

Edited by sbradfor - 31 May 2010 at 5:00pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 5:05pm
Ah, my mistake.

The PSU we have as 'DS Certified' is actually our own brand 'TechNPS' which we get manufactured by the same companies that make PSUs for all the top PSU brands.

It is not a poor quality PSU at all. It has great amperage ratings at the voltage levels for the price your paying. It's a great option to save money on and place the saved cash into other parts of your build.

Here's a spec list of the 750W model:

Tech NPS  750W PFC,80+,CABL.Manament ATX  

Series Turbo
Spec
Type ATX12V / EPS12V
Maximum Power 750W
Fans 140mm silent fan
PFC Active
Main Connector 20+4Pin
+12V Rails 4
PCI-Express Connector 2 x 6-Pin, 2 x 6+2-Pin
SLI Ready
CrossFire Ready
Modular Yes
Energy-Efficient 80 PLUS Certified
Over Voltage Protection Yes
Overload Protection Yes
Input Voltage 100 - 240 V
Input Frequency Range 47 - 63 Hz
Input Current 10A @ 115V, 5A @ 230V
Output
+3.3V@30A,+5V@28A,+12V1@18A,+12V2@18A,+12V3@18A, +12V4@18A,[email protected],[email protected]
Features
Connectors 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 12V(P4)
1 x 12V(8Pin)
6 x peripheral
4 x SATA
2 x Floppy
4 x PCI-E
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 5:08pm
for cases on air go with haf or sniper, for LC system go with hailstrom, haf and sniper have the best airflow.

90% of your noise comes from the gpu's fan, the case fans are quiet, upgraded fans are loud.

I have not looked at the evga ftw edition, but until intel puts out the new south bridge you are not looking at real sata 3.0, you are probably missing raid and trim support, if you want real sata 3.0 support then wait for the new mobos with the sough bridge to come out, till then you can do the same with a usb3.0/sata3.0 pci card.

the LE can do cf/sli also.

why 12GB of ram? are you sure you need that much? too much ram is not a good thing.

you are not going cf/sli with that psu, if you want to be able to sli with the 5870 then you need a 1000w corsair.

why 2GB HDD for HDD1? remember:

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

Don't fill up your HDD1 more then 50%, if think you will need more room for it then pick a bigger one, IMO its best you go with a 160GB intel ssd for HDD1 and then use that 2GB as HDD2.

go with a regular 5870, don't waste your money.

if you want better cpu cooler then go with the 14, tho 12 is great also.

upgrade fans are loud as mentioned drop that, with a case like haf and sniper you won't need it to begin with anyways.

Noise Suppression Package is pointless, trap heat, trap noise.

drop os tweak, it makes zero difference to apps and games and if you need a service that is disabled then you are short.

change your os to win7 pro if you want xp support.

Here you go Ticket# 410886 --- Price: $2635 (To see this build click here) Price after current promotion $2635

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master CM Storm Sniper
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH160G2R5)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: FREE: Hot-selling game with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 or above graphics card
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: FREE PROMO: 4 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

Edited by DST4ME - 31 May 2010 at 5:09pm
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

for cases on air go with haf or sniper, for LC system go with hailstrom, haf and sniper have the best airflow.

What makes you think the radical design of the Assassin won't be better? I know the fans are bigger on the cases you mention and the Assassin has filters (which I like), but it will also move air from bottom to top across vertical cards and it uses positive pressure. I like the design of the Assassin. Although it has been years, I've used Cooler Master cases before. They are OK, but not great.

90% of your noise comes from the gpu's fan, the case fans are quiet, upgraded fans are loud.

Excellent point. Though I have had some upgrade fans that were much better (but not here).

I have not looked at the evga ftw edition, but until intel puts out the new south bridge you are not looking at real sata 3.0, you are probably missing raid and trim support, if you want real sata 3.0 support then wait for the new mobos with the sough bridge to come out, till then you can do the same with a usb3.0/sata3.0 pci card.

Again, excellent point. I just don't want to wait. I have time now, so I'm upgrading now.

why 12GB of ram? are you sure you need that much? too much ram is not a good thing.

Mainly I'm concerned about having slow downs in Photoshop working with a lot of files at once. I haven't been able to confirm how much is needed in Photoshop though, so maybe this is overkill. Why is too much ram not a good thing? Timing issues?

you are not going cf/sli with that psu, if you want to be able to sli with the 5870 then you need a 1000w corsair.

Is the reason that it just doesn't supply enough power?

why 2GB HDD for HDD1? remember:

HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

Don't fill up your HDD1 more then 50%, if think you will need more room for it then pick a bigger one, IMO its best you go with a 160GB intel ssd for HDD1 and then use that 2GB as HDD2.

This is news to me. I haven't looked into SSD drives and I barely know anything about them. The reason I picked the 2TB model is because I have a lot of files (like picture files -I'm an amateur photographer) and I usually have a lot of games installed at the same time. 160GB wouldn't be nearly enough for os/apps/games for me and SSD is too expensive. You are definitely right about two drives though. Any thoughts on what SATA to get for HDD1 that doesn't break the bank, if I go with two drives?

go with a regular 5870, don't waste your money.

What makes you say this? The Sapphire has great ratings and reviews and is said to run cooler and quieter than the stock 5870.

if you want better cpu cooler then go with the 14, tho 12 is great also.

Yeah, I thought about this too. Thanks for the tip. I saw it in another one of your recommendations.

drop os tweak, it makes zero difference to apps and games and if you need a service that is disabled then you are short.

Excellent point.

change your os to win7 pro if you want xp support.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't notice it was only $32 more!

Thanks for all the tips DST4ME! You really got me thinking about several of my choices!

Edited by sbradfor - 31 May 2010 at 6:04pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 7:43pm

The "Assassin" is new around here, and we tend to be provincial. Looks like a good design to me, too. We KNOW the HAF and the Sniper have great airflow and very quiet fans, 'cause most of us on air have one of these. We don't know if the Assassin is quiet, but as DST says, most of your noise is gpu.

We don't normally recommend non-reference gpus 'cause if you want to liquid cool later it limits your waterblock choices, and the performance doesn't usually warrant the extra $. Lot of folks want to spend xtra on stuff like that and run out of $ for the important stuff.

Interesting info from Alex on the PSU. It used to be Chieftec which is not bad, but not as quiet or reliable as Corsair. For most avg. users, the last thing they want to hassel with is all them wires n such if the PSU goes down.

Nothing at all wrong with the stock RAM, he was talking PSU. You have a valid issue with the amount you need. I can't help you, I'm strictly a gamer, but we go by the fact > 6g doesn't make games better, and has a negative effect on your OC. Since you know stuff maybe you see how far 6g takes you, and add more as needed?

I think I got all the issues others left out. BTW, I got the Sapphire, and thought I was gonna get somthin kewl. The manual I got is simply how to install the card, period... in 7 languages!  Big%20smile
DS is a great company.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:09pm
Thanks for the added information Cretae. This is a great community I can tell already. You filled in some gaps for me. Much appreciated!

I'll be able to give some info on the fans as soon as I get mine in case anyone wants it.

By the way, how do you like your 750W Corsair? Can you hear much noise from it?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:42pm
sniper has filters, there are custom removable filters you can for the haf, and that will endup better then assasin as far as filters go.

assassin has 3 x 180mm fans, haf has 3 x 230mm fans, haf also has more of a mesh opening so more air moves thru the case, in short haf has better airflow, the mobo design and etc, might mount to around 2 or 3 degrees at best, I'll take better airflow, also working with media bays will be difficult with that design in that case.

on the mobo, its your choice, at least you get evga support if noting else and that is great.

more ram puts more stress on the memory controller and if its not need then no reason to do that, but if you know you need 12GB then go for it.

yes you need a bigger psu to go cf.

as for ssd, if you notice I game you 160GB for hdd1 and a 1TB for HDD2, as I mentioned your files like pictures and etc, go on HDD2, HDD1 is only for os/apps/games, no media/personal/work files.

this way your os drive stays light and fast and easy to manage.

if ssd is not in the budget now then go with a veloci for hdd1.

on 5870, so what if Sapphire runs cooler? does this give you more fps that you will notice? NO.

sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:04pm
I'm leaning toward going with 6GB of ram right now, just because I'm not certain that I need it and like Cretae says, I can always add more later.

As to the Sapphire, it's not just about cooler, it's about quieter too. Like you said, the GPU tends to be the noisiest part.

Thanks for the opinions and advice DST4ME!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:04pm
My Storm Sniper sits on the floor about 3 inches from my right leg. In dead silence, I hear just a very soft airflow sound. If I have anything else going on in the room, I don't hear noise from the case at all. I've been a geek for 25 years, and I thought loud whirrs came with the territory. I didn't upgrade since 2004, so I had no idea they could make computers so noiseless. My old rig used to annoy me from 15 feet away.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by Cretae

My Storm Sniper sits on the floor about 3 inches from my right leg. In dead silence, I hear just a very soft airflow sound. If I have anything else going on in the room, I don't hear noise from the case at all. I've been a geek for 25 years, and I thought loud whirrs came with the territory. I didn't upgrade since 2004, so I had no idea they could make computers so noiseless. My old rig used to annoy me from 15 feet away.

That is great to hear. I know just what you mean Cretae. Thanks!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:30pm
You're welcome. You got 6 1/2 hrs left for the promo!!  Heart
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Cretae

You're welcome. You got 6 1/2 hrs left for the promo!!  Heart

LOL... Yeah I thought I'd pull the trigger right before going to bed. It gives me a little more time to think about it (and meanwhile I can work on getting a few more report cards done).
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:52pm
Well, I'm getting pretty close. One last question. I'm considering buying two 2TB drives. I can buy them one of two ways according to the configurator. As two hard drives, each in a different set or as one 2X 2TB hard drives in hard drive set one. Would it be smarter to get the 2X 2TB since they'd be more likely to be a set that I could setup for RAID later if I decided to? Or does it matter?

The reason I ask is, I was concerned that if I bought one as HDD1 and then one as HDD2 in the configurator, I might get two different brands of drives or something.

Any thoughts?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:17pm
Just make note of that in the notes section. DS will take care of you on that. They would have to deliberately sabotage you to not give you 2 same drives. You sure you want such huge drives, though? At some point you're gonna want to defrag that monster. Seems like you're making a pretty sizeable investment in storage you won't need for many a moon.

Just took a look, the 2X 2T option is more $ assuming there's gonna be a raid to set up, so unless you're gonna do that now, don't order it that way.
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
sbradfor View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sbradfor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:22pm
Thanks Cretae. Good to know.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 1:33am
what you choose for HDD1 is different then what is on HDD2, you don't put HDD1 and HDD2 in raid, you get two drives and put them in raid then use both for either HDD1 or HDD2.

the rest cretae explained.
 Post Reply Post Reply