FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

First time gaming PC buyer plz help

Post Date: 2014-08-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
croctopus View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote croctopus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: First time gaming PC buyer plz help
    Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 11:55am
I'm thinking of making the switch to PC gaming and have been looking at getting a Vanquish 2, but I can't decide between the level 3 or 4 series. I have a few questions to anyone who owns or has used one of these rigs before.

1. Is there a major difference in performance between the 3 and 4 series?

2. What is the average lifespan of a Vanquish?

3. What is your overall opinion on this rig?

Thanks for the help!
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:06pm
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/vanquish-ii-benchmark-data-tidf22242/

croctopus,

The above link takes you to a thread that has been "stickied" at the top of the forum here (Configuration Discussion). 

Here you can see the benchmark scores for Vanquish Level 1, Level 2, Level 3 and Level 4.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:21pm
Yep, the level 4 gtx 770 is about 20% better frames over the gtx 760 , as forrest74 pointed out.

If you mean, how long will it game at a decent performance, a video card is usually good for about 3 years before an upgrade is needed to stay current. But all depends on your expectations and needs.

I think the Vanquish lvl 3 and 4 are about the best around for the money.

Good luck.

croctopus View Drop Down

Quote croctopus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:28pm
Ok, I see that level 4 with the GTX 770 can be 10-20 FPS more than level 3, but is that worth the extra $250? I have read that 60fps is ideal and level 3 reaches that mark on newer games, but level 4 could be a rig that future games would run better on. I plan on playing games like Far Cry 4 and Witcher 3, so maybe the level 4 would be the way to go since it could more than likely handle future games. I am also looking for something that will at least last me this console generation, so like at least 6-7 years. The level 4 also has the 120 SSD which I read helps load times, so that would be nice. Thanks for your help!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Aug 2014 at 12:39pm
You pretty much said everything we would've as a reason to go with the level 4. If the budget allows, it is worth it, especially if you're looking to maximize the time it'll make you happy. Games are only going to get more demanding.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Aug 2014 at 3:50am
As I have written elsewhere recently, the difference between the 3 and 4 is the 20% fps increase between the 760 and the 770, the CPU cooler and the SSD, all for an extra ~$250. It if it's in your budget, I highly recommend the lvl 4.

As for games at 60 fps being optimum, with v-sync on today's 60mhz monitor every game is running at 60fps max on highest settings on the 770GTX. I have turned down settings to see fps spiking around 140 on my lvl 4 but it's just not as crisp and clear as the ultra settings/vsync of course.

Bottom line, you wanted opinions from lvl 4 owners.. here's mine. Get the lvl 4 Ultimate. Does it have limitations? Yes. Is it "Future proof"? Not as much as the higher end machines. But, if you're on a budget and you want to play today's games in all their glorious brilliance, you will absolutely love it.

I do.

When, as bprat says, "Games are only going to get more demanding" it will be time to look for upgrades and/or a new rig... but, truth be told, I've already started to save for that day when I can have DS build me another rig that will be just that much more awesome.
 Post Reply Post Reply