Fan upgrade

Post Date: 2015-02-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Fan upgrade
    Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 3:03pm

What does upgrading fans, the colored fan option do?

Specifically, the Velox, which has a bunch of 140mm fans. Are the colored fans 140mm as well? Which ones would they replace? If the only option is 120mm, how is that achieved? Is there a loss of airflow?

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 4:42pm
I have a new Velox build , infact it was just delivered in Jan 2015. I opted to go with the Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans) which provide better ventilation and airflow than the lighted Fans. Just felt they were a better choice than an option that was more cosmetic. I am happy with the choice as the computer is placed on my desk and I would find the lighted fans a bit disruptive,, ie too bright and annoying.

Second I could not decide on color :P

The Black and Red coloration of the Corsair fans fits with the color scheme of my Mother board a Rampage V so it works better.

I can say that I now see why this case is always on backorder. it is simply in my opinion the best case around esp if you chose an Air cool option over a water cooled computer.. This case provide plenty of ventilation with good fan placement and it is large enough to put any thing in it save maybe the kitchen sink :P. I am not saying it would not work with water-cooling but I personally think you would be wasting your money water-cooling this case.

The only thing I would recommend is not placing this unit on or at Floor level unless your a meticulous housecleaner or you do not mind having to freq clean out dust
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram
2x SLI Dual Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 4GB Asus Strix Edition
Corsair H110 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler

Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 4:43pm
Oh an the upgrade will replace or upgrade up to Six fans, if the case is to have more than six fans you will pay extra
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Feb 2015 at 8:00pm
Thanks

The upgrade you ordered is 140mm fans, I think, so that would fit better with the Velox

Anyone order the colored fan upgrade with the Velox who can explain what that will entail?
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:20am
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

Thanks

The upgrade you ordered is 140mm fans, I think, so that would fit better with the Velox

Anyone order the colored fan upgrade with the Velox who can explain what that will entail?

I understand that but even putting a smaller sixed fan in the front panel would work.. the issues with smaller fans is less air flow through the fan, I did not think that needed explaining.

The lighted fans in my opinion if you look at the information provided are good , ie better than the original case fans but not as good as the upgrade I purchased. it really is a personal choice, I chose performance over appearance, for me that was the right choice, but others would rather have the lighted fans because they look pretty and in their opinion would make the case more of a show piece. it is a personal decision on which way you want to go.

I live in Texas and cooling for me in the summers is very important to someone living in a more moderate climate where summer temps rarely hit 100, Cooling may not be such an issue

Chose what is best for you and enjoy
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 9:50am

I should ask specific questions, I guess :)

Specifically, is the colored fan upgrade 120mm even if the original fans were 140mm? (using an adapter perhaps)
Kaelara View Drop Down

Quote Kaelara Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Feb 2015 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

I should ask specific questions, I guess :)

Specifically, is the colored fan upgrade 120mm even if the original fans were 140mm? (using an adapter perhaps)

I would not think that DS would offer an upgrade that was not applicable to the case or build. Maybe someone who has purchased the upgrade with the lighted fans could better put your mind to rest

I know when I ordered my Velox I was told that the Rampage Mobo would not fit in the case, but I thought why would they include that as an option if it did not fit? I did ask a DS Tech specifically if there was going to be any kind of fit issue with the MoBo and was assured there was not.. Well the tech was right the Mobo fits just fine. Maybe at one time the Mobo did not fit, but it does now. which is all I am concerned about

So Maybe you could just send your question directly to DS and get your answer there?
Kaelara

Velox
Asus X99 Rampage V
Intel i7-5820k 3.3
16G DD4 2800Mhz Ram

Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Feb 2015 at 2:04pm
I asked. They said they are 120mm fans, and should have a higher airflow than the stock Velox fans. They probably require adapters to fit them in place. I guess as long as that does not look unsightly, or make system harder to modify in the future, it's acceptable
 Post Reply Post Reply