Post Date: 2014-10-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fatalyz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
bullet Topic: Equinox Review
    Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 6:28pm
I have to admit, the performance on the Equinox is amazing. It runs games better than my desktop. I can run Final Fantasy 14 (2.3 now) at max settings with no noticeable frame drop, although my fan starts to freak out and becomes really loud.

My issue with the equinox is not with performance though. After using it for a few weeks I realized something, The keyboard light color is not RED. So I talk to support and they tell me to download the steelseries engine to be able to change the back light. So I was like, cool I'll go do that. I download it with the link that they give me and which links me to the MSI website to get the correct software and drivers. It turns out that this exact laptop is in fact the GS60 Ghost Pro by MSI. I look on newegg and discover you can actually the same product with superior specs(gtx 970m vs 870M, 4710HQ i7 vs 4700HQ i7) and screen for cheaper(3k screen vs non 3k screen)! Free shipping too! The only down side to that particular build is that ssd memory only will have 128gb. all this for 200$ cheaper.

I mean fine, I buy Digital Storm for the customer service and quality but I fail to see it in the equinox. The fact that most of the drivers for the laptop were horribly out of date; it was so bad that the touchpad literally stopped working on me and I had to update the drivers, not to mention the keyboard lighting STILL can't change(tech support doesn't even know why and I'm STILL waiting on a fix). Another nitpicky thing, none of the decals in the video ad are on my laptop. I literally just got a black laptop with 3 stickers on it.

All in all I'm pretty disappointed and regret my purchase. Of course I have to admit it was my fault that I didn't do enough research overall and feel really stupid now that I found the actual laptop I bought was not the "equinox" but the GS60 Ghost Pro by MSI.

Edited by Fatalyz - 22 Oct 2014 at 6:30pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:07pm
DS doesn't make the laptops they just build them. The laptop shells they get are from Sager, Clevo or MSI i believe and they rebrand them. Could be wrong so Alex or Nav will have to confirm.

What drivers are you talking about by the way?

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 22 Oct 2014 at 7:20pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Fatalyz View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 7:49pm
Touchpad. I guess I didn't elaborate enough but my BIOS was also out of date when I checked it. And my keyboard is still a mystery.
krappei View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2014 at 8:44pm
Thanks for the helpful review. I had been doing my research and knew about the Ghost and other similar models but was interested in getting an Equinox once the 980M graphics became available anyways since I had such a great gaming PC from over 4 years ago built by DS. I agree with you that the premium $$ may not be worth the great customer service.
Fatalyz View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by krappei

Thanks for the helpful review. I had been doing my research and knew about the Ghost and other similar models but was interested in getting an Equinox once the 980M graphics became available anyways since I had such a great gaming PC from over 4 years ago built by DS. I agree with you that the premium $$ may not be worth the great customer service.

This was my second time buying from DS. I've been disappointed again unfortunately.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:31pm
Hi Fatalyz,

I'm sorry to hear the way you feel. We would love to help take care of things and make sure you're fully enjoying your new system.

If you can contact me via email "[email protected]" I would like to know more about your situations and see what we can do to help.

In regards to the unit being similar to MSI, I've posted my response below to a different thread in the forums that you had replied to:

Going with a product from Digital Storm means that you're getting far more than just the actual components that go in, I'll explain:

1. Assembly - A laptop is put togeather by our team

2. Testing - We configure the operating system, install drivers, run our stress tests and benchmarks on the unit

3. QA - Our team does a detailed quality check on the unit.

4. Service & Support - If you run into issues, our team is here to help take care of you.

5. Warranty - You're covered by our warranty service and lifetime support.

Those items have costs, and that's what gets factored in for what you pay for.

Fatalyz View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 10:23am
Sweet now I'm being told by Alex that "For the unit that we sell, the keyboard is not supposed to change colors".

I don't know where he got this assumption but I CAN already change the color of the keyboard, but only different shades of blue.

I really don't enjoy people who don't know what their talking about to make assumptions like that. Unless the keyboard in this device IS NOT a SteelSeries keyboard(which I don't see why it's not when it looks identical and already has a function to change color) Also: "Would you like it to make it red or leave it as blue? I am in talks with the manufacture on finding you a solution." -Alex. I already know how to fix the problem. Please stop lying to me about this stuff.

I ONLY WANT HELP on getting the steelseries engine to find my keyboard. The GS60 has had similar problems which could be fixed with a bios update(but Mike told me not to update my bios).

Please send me someone who actually know what they are doing.

Edited by Fatalyz - 24 Oct 2014 at 10:29am
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 11:10am
Alex knows what he is doing. Calm down, hes trying to help you and hes good at what he does.

And i think he meant as in different colors not just one color. Because even though you are changing the shades of blue that is just the level of brightness not really changing the colors. If you was really able to change the colors you would be seeing stuff other than blue like red, green, purple and so forth.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 24 Oct 2014 at 11:30am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 11:20am
This might be the link they gave you, and if not check it out.   The SSE, Steelseries engine. 

http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GS60_2PE_Ghost_Pro.html#down-utility&Win8.1%2064

Within that is the KLM for changing the lighting. 

http://event.msi.com/nb/faq/q16.html

I don't have the laptop, so this might or might not help.

Good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Oct 2014 at 11:21am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 11:24am
Hi Fatalyz,

I did respond to your emails, but I will also post a summarized response here for the forum:

1. When you state you can change the shades of blue, you're not actually changing the color, but the brightness of the LED.

2. We don't promote or mention the LED colors can be changed on this model. System builders are not allowed to use the Steelseries software with the units which includes a LED color change feature. I am working with our contacts to get you a solution on changing the LED color to red and I will update you as soon as I can.

Stay tuned!
Fatalyz View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:03am
Originally posted by bprat22

This might be the link they gave you, and if not check it out.   The SSE, Steelseries engine.  http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GS60_2PE_Ghost_Pro.html#down-utility&Win8.1%2064Within that is the KLM for changing the lighting.  http://event.msi.com/nb/faq/q16.htmlI don't have the laptop, so this might or might not help.Good luck. Big%20Smile

Support did a live session on my laptop and attempted to download the KLM and use it. IT DID NOT work.

I think the main problem is that steelseries cannot detect the keyboard. I did alot of research on this problem and the consensus seems to be: either down grade your bios to T50 or update it to the most recent version. I haven't done it yet because the DS technician Mike I spoke to told me not to do it. He said he would get back to me but he hasn't responded in 4-5 days.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:08am
When did you talk to the tech? DS is closed on the weekends so you can't count the weekend days. Also check your spam box to make sure none of his responses went there.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 11:13am
Fatalyz...   Sorry to hear.  I gave it a shot.    If I had the laptop I'd be more help, but hopefully you get this ironed out.    

Good luck. 
Fatalyz View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 2:09pm
I'm extremely frustrated now.
"I believe the units have a Steelseries keyboard (hardware) but they are blocked from using any Steelseries functions or software as this is something we are not promoting with the units."-Alex

First of all, I bought this laptop and overpaid for it. And now I'm just finding out that the laptop HAS the functionality to do things but I'm not allowed to use it because it was "blocked".

I demand the functionality be unblocked. It's absolutely ridiculous that I'm not allowed to use something that I paid for. I bought it. The laptop contains the steelseries keyboard. Therefore the keyboard is not exception to what I paid for.

Now I seriously think I made a huge mistake buying from DS. Not only did I overpay, but now I find out that it has even less functionality then what I could have gotten.

Edited by Fatalyz - 27 Oct 2014 at 2:11pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 3:36pm
Fatalyz,

I'm sorry to see that you're frustrated over the keyboard. Please note, we do NOT promote or mention the features you are trying to unlock on this unit. We do not state or offer the Steelseries software on our laptop, this is something I have mentioned to you previously.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Fatalyz

I'm extremely frustrated now.
"I believe the units have a Steelseries keyboard (hardware) but they are blocked from using any Steelseries functions or software as this is something we are not promoting with the units."-Alex

First of all, I bought this laptop and overpaid for it. And now I'm just finding out that the laptop HAS the functionality to do things but I'm not allowed to use it because it was "blocked".

I demand the functionality be unblocked. It's absolutely ridiculous that I'm not allowed to use something that I paid for. I bought it. The laptop contains the steelseries keyboard. Therefore the keyboard is not exception to what I paid for.

Now I seriously think I made a huge mistake buying from DS. Not only did I overpay, but now I find out that it has even less functionality then what I could have gotten.

As Alex did point out earlier:

We don't promote or mention the LED colors can be changed on this model. System builders are not allowed to use the Steelseries software with the units which includes a LED color change feature. I am working with our contacts to get you a solution on changing the LED color to red and I will update you as soon as I can.

So pretty much they can't unblock it even if they wanted to. So there is no reason to get mad at them for it.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Fatalyz View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:03pm
7 days later, Still haven't received anything.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:08pm
Have you contacted them?
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 12:25pm
I thought Alex left it at not being able to give the Equinox the software compatibility for Steel Series, but not sure.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 1:53pm
@Fatalyz,

We have been in communication quite often for the past week via email...

If this is in regards to your keyboard color, I did send you an email yesterday with instructions. Right after I replied to your previous email... you should have received it, it's most likely ending in your SPAM folder or JUNK MAIL, can you double check to see if it's in there?

If you have not received it, please send me another email and I'll have to upload it somewhere and send you a link in some other way then.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 12:39am

Originally posted by Alex

Things that make you go "Hmmmmm...."   Confused
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 3:40am
Originally posted by Snaike

i know right
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Fatalyz View Drop Down

bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 8:19am
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

Originally posted by Snaike

i know right

Actually I did not receive any email from them in that time frame of 7 days.

I had to contact them again and gave the person I was talking to the email logs to show them I in fact did not get anything. It most likely had something to do with the inability to send specific file types through email. I had the fix sent to me through google drive.

Anyways, my final review of the Equinox is this:

Don't buy the equinox. horrendously overpriced for what you are getting. This is essentially a lower funcionality and lower performance MSI ghost pro GS60. Unfortunately I had little no information about the Equinox available to me(other than what DS provided to me) at the time of my purchase so I want to put out this review as a warning.

If you buy the equinox this what you should expect:

Less performance for higher cost. You can buy a laptop for the same price as the equinox but with GTX970m, 3k display and a keyboard with more customization. The tradeoff is the ssd memory is 128 in the model containing the 970M. If you were getting a model identical to the Equinox, expect to pay $300 less and have fully unlocked keyboard functionality.

Edited by Fatalyz - 04 Dec 2014 at 8:20am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 11:23am
Thank you Fatalyz for your final response. To prevent this thread from going into a different topic, I'm going to go ahead and lock the thread.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to email me at any time "[email protected]" thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply