FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eclipse Lv 4 -- Cooling and Power Adequate?

Post Date: 2014-12-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
imperator View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote imperator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Eclipse Lv 4 -- Cooling and Power Adequate?
    Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 8:19pm
Hi folks,

I'm considering getting my first computer from DS after 4 years of yeoman service by my current OEM computer. One of the reasons why I am looking at DS is because I think I get more bang for my buck than OEMs, and from the looks of pictures online DS seems to be more disciplined and organized with internal cabling and the like.

I'm looking at the Eclipse Level 4 -- I'm absolutely astonished by its form factor and what specs it has on offer for that size. What I want to know is if it's too good to be true. It's brand new and there are not a lot of reviews on it, but I was hoping somebody here would know.

My concerns:

-- 400W PSU seems a bit low, though the page says that it is rated to support the GTX 970 that the Lvl 4 comes with. Will it also be able to handle the demands of the SSD/HDD combo that it comes with? What about external peripherals? I generally have my computer connected to: one gamepad (Xbox controller or joystick), an external bluray drive (2xUSB, though it has an external power adapter), and one or two external HDDs (external power adapters)?

I don't think external HDDs or bluray drives use USB for anything other than data transfer, but I just wanted to make sure the PSU on the Eclipse Lvl4 was adequate for my needs.

-- Is the cooling and airflow adequate? There's not much room in there, though I do notice that there are separate side vents for the GPU. Basically I want to know if I can work this thing hard and if the cooling will be alright. The 970 is a hefty card, and it looks like the Lvl4 has OCing as well -- gotta be some heat demands there. Is the structure of the case adequate for that?

-- Finally, upgrades. I don't plan on doing much upgrading, especially as the system seems "budget future proofed" for at least two or three years. I tend to hesitate at messing with computer innards, but just in case I wanted to upgrade the GPU or something: how difficult would that be? It looks like it's hidden behind there.

----------------

Something like the Vanquish II is more along the lines of what I'd expect in terms of case space and power for a computer of its specs, but the lvl 4 Vanquish is 100 dollars extra and I don't think I can do that. I'd seriously consider the Vanquish II lvl 3 over the Eclipse lvl 3, but basically what I want to know is: are my concerns unfounded? Or is a Vanquish a better bet? (if so, I'd probably just go with a Vanquish lvl 3 instead).

Thanks!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 9:04pm
The chassis they are using (Silverstone RVZ01) has been out for a while now.

Cooling - There are two 120mm fan slots by the GPU, a 120mm fan slot above the processor, a fan slot above the PSU, and ventilation slats on the sides. The GPU uses a reference blower cooler and will exhaust its heat out of the back of the chassis.

Power - 400W is sufficient. Many (most, I should say) people out there will tell you to way overspec the PSU. A) it's unnecessary and drives the price up and b) when the system idles, it will use so little energy that it will be in the single digit percentile of the PSU power and efficiency of the PSU will not be that great. The system they have configured will have a TDP of somewhere around 300W +/- 30W or so. The absolute max power draw should still be well under 400W (keep in mind that you only reach 80% at 320W and 90% at 360W). Gaming should probably still be even less than what the TDP is (look at reviewers benchmarks of systems using the GTX 970 and check out the power, which they are getting most likely with a full size motherboard with more features to power). A few USB devices and external HDDs should be able to be handled (devices are still single digit for wattage, unless you start ganging up connections). Also, they are backing this with their warranty and reputation, so they've probably tested it out a good deal. Oh and if you look around (as you indicated you very well may have been), the Titan Z (375W TDP vs. 145W TDP for the GTX 970) has been packaged in this chassis, too (the blower on the Titan Z vents to the front, into the chassis, too).

Upgradability - The Eclipe probably won't be as easy as the Bolt II to upgrade, by definitely doable...this is a COTS chassis and nothing special about it (aside from the color and branding).
imperator View Drop Down

Quote imperator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:17pm
What do you mean by 80% and 90%? The only percentage figures I am familiar with as far as PSUs go is how wall measurements of power draws are higher than what is actually being required by components due to inefficiencies in PSUs or whatnot. But I don't know what the 80% and 90% figures you said are referring to.

Speaking of full size motherboards and features, is there a problem with having a smaller motherboard? I am looking primarily to use the new computer to game, but also to use standard browsing/word processing functions in the meantime. Should be more than adequate for that, no?

Finally, what is a COTS chassis? I googled the term, but all I could find is references to military computers.

Thanks for the help!
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2014 at 10:30pm
The percentage figures were percent of the total power cap of the 400W PSU they are using. The efficiencies of PSU's are measure by that figure, instead of any absolute figure (i.e. 80% of 400W = 320W), as different PSUs can hit different power levels, and more importantly, this correlates better to the performance.

The motherboard should be able able to do everything you are asking of it. The only limitations a Mini-ITX sized board has are no extra expansion slots, so you can't add extra graphics cards, sound cards, etc. But the board has 802.11ac Wi-Fi on it; a pretty good audio chip; and pretty much everything else you could want. There is only space for one memory stick per channel (two total), but you can upgrade to 2 x 8GB sticks in the future if you feel the need (it isn't good to mix RAM anyhow, for stability reasons; the 8GB should be adequate for the purposes you stated).

Sorry, COTS = Commercial-off-the-shelf...too much time working in a world of acronyms I meant the chassis is available through commercial sales channels to consumers and isn't a proprietary design (The Bolt II, Velox, and Aventum II are, however, Digital Storm designs and sole resalers of systems using them, and therefore not COTS).
 Post Reply Post Reply