FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

DS upgrade help

Post Date: 2011-02-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Clusta View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Clusta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: DS upgrade help
    Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:24am
I've already ordered a 2TB hard drive and another 580 as a must have. It seems really expensive to swap out 6GB (3x2) 2000Mhz for 12GB (3x4) at the same frequency. I've already had applications close because I ran out of ram. I was wondering how much of a difference it (stress on system) would make to cheapen out and just add one more 2gb stick?

I wish there were more options to the liquid cooling system. Upgrading to sub zero just to have enough tubing and water blocks just to cool my gpus is a bit much. If anyone with such experience could help share their ocing abilities with the sub zero LC, it would help me make a definite decision.

Budget isn't that much of a concern right now. I just don't want to end up wasting money for only a tiny increase in actual performance. I think it would be nice to add UV lights just because this rig is a beast and should look like one.

System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 980X 3.33GHz (Six-Core) (Extreme Performance)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme (Intel X58 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 2000MHz GTX-8 Digital Storm Certified Extreme Performance (Highly Recommended)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Drive Force Series CSSD-F120GB2-BRKT)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color: Green Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 3: Overclock the processor between 4.2GHz to 4.6GHz (Requires i7 980X Processor)
Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
Display: !PROMO BUNDLE: Hanns 28 inch LCD + Logitech (Keyboard + Mouse) + Logitech Speakers
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 8:43am
you should not have gone with that ram to begin with, the gain is minimal.

psu should be corsair.

for that res, I would go with 2 x 6970 to start with, and get a 1200w corsair psu so that I can go tri sli if needed.

I have custom LC system and if you like LC, high OC and good temps, then its a must, but you need to customize it a bit, instead of dual 580, go dual 570 and put at least a dual rad if not triple on the cpu and a triple on the gpu, if you are interested let us know we will tell you which rad and fans to request.

if you are going to air cool the gpus, go with a case with better airflow, if you gonna oc cpu/gpu keep the hailstorm, its a great case.

for the uv tubes to glow you need the uv lights.

you got a ticket number for that build?

Edited by DST4ME - 11 Feb 2011 at 8:44am
Clusta View Drop Down

Quote Clusta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:54am
I don't think I have the number anymore. I just got this build so I'm not opting to go with better graphics cards at this point. I'm impressed with stage 3 as it is. I'm going to have call and ask exactly how much dual loop sub zero would cost me. I'm only really concerned with getting some decent cooling for the gpus.

I'm not experienced with LC. Aren't radiators useful for taking the out the heat that's absorbed by the liquid? Wouldn't a dual or triple rad be a bit large for a case?

If money is tight by next week, I'll just request some fans and go with that. Now I'm more concerned with having enough overhead in the psu for all the stuff I'm getting.

Thanks for advice. I really think I need some more ram. A heavily modded Sims 3 can take up +3.8GB of ram, which is greater than any other game I've played. Heh, i might just skip it, because it's just one game anyway.

Monitor is only 1920 x 1200, so I don't think I'll need a tri-setup. I'm not going to cry if I don't get 50+fps in Crysis or Metro 2033.

Edited by Clusta - 11 Feb 2011 at 11:06am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 2:29am
For best temps on cpu you want a triple rad on cpu, for dual or tri sli/cf 570/580/6970 triple rad all the way.

Liquid runs thru the rad, while doing so, fans are blowing cool air thru rad, helping it to dissipate heat, with a proper setup you can get good temps on high oc. The bigger the rad, the better temps are gonna be, but all rads and LC setups are not the same, so you need a setup that compliments each-other, like a good low cfm rad with good low cfm fans for example. If it fits in the case or not is not as important as what the temps are for the parts, but if that is that important to you, I can refer you to a case that will fit all of that inside but the case is gonna be huge also.

If you had a corsair 1000w I would say you got plenty of head room for all the stuff you want, but we don't know the specs of the psu you have, still you will fine at dual sli 580/570, and headroom.

where are you going to add fans? don't get DS upgrade fans, they are loud.

as for ram 6GB is more then enough, to be honest with you, its the first time I have heard a game take up 3.8GB of ram, sounds like memory leak, sim has a very poorly optimized engine, but even then 6GB should be enough, like I said you can always add more ram later.

in metro you are not gonna do great if you put 4xaa, it won't be no where near 50fps.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Feb 2011 at 2:34am
Clusta View Drop Down

Quote Clusta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 3:37am
I could replace the rad now with a tri since it'll fit perfectly at the top of case like yours. I'm surprised you don't have circuit breaker problems in your home with all that. I'm may sure to get advice about what I should do about the LC when I call in Monday. I'm just trying put a complete list together before the pickup on Tuesday.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 3:41am
for rad you want to go with xspc rx model or feser rads, those are low cfm rads, and for the fans on them you want Scythe gentle typhoon.

my biggest power draw is the 4 x 480 gtx, but with everything I'm pulling around 1100 - 1200w, and if it was not for the 20a circuit then I would be blowing teh breaker left and right

but ya I got a triple 120mm rad inside top and a triple 140mm rad outside back.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Feb 2011 at 3:43am
Clusta View Drop Down

Quote Clusta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 3:24pm
Quick question. Where did you get 120 mm LED scythe gentle typhoon fans for your radiator? I'm also trying to see if I can replace stock fans with xigmatek LED ones. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2011 at 6:29am
My rads don't have the typhoons on them, my gtx works well with high cfm fans, and I'm doing push/pull 140mm fans with the xigmatek.

the setup I recommended to you should do same or better with less noise.

Edited by DST4ME - 15 Feb 2011 at 6:30am
 Post Reply Post Reply