FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Custom Liquid Cooling Maintenance

Post Date: 2014-03-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tzlopez View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tzlopez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Custom Liquid Cooling Maintenance
    Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 4:03pm
Hey all. I'm soon to receive my new DS system that I ordered a few weeks back. I have the hydrolux custom cooling on my cpu, chipset, and my gpu. I would like some information on maintenance.
-Should I use the same coolant that DS filled my cooling system with? If so, what should I use?
-People have said to put some silver into your reservoir to kill anything that may want to grow. Is this optional? Would there most likely be a negative effect of not having silver in my reservoir?
-Any recommendations on how often I should tighten my tube fittings with everyday use?
-Any thing else I should look out for in the future with my cooling system?
Sorry for sounding so nooby. I'm new to this whole custom liquid cooling thing. Thanks

Edited by tzlopez - 31 Mar 2014 at 4:05pm
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2014 at 10:02pm
Congrats on the new rig and welcome to DS!!

I know that DS uses a few different coolants so you might need to contact them to find out what they put into yours. The silver coil is used to keep stuff from growing in the water mixture. Many new mixtures already contain additives to eliminate this but some still feel the need for the coil. The fittings are designed to be somewhat maintenance free so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I've have my system for ~6 months without any issues. I haven't needed to add any additional liquid or re-tighten anything (this is my first fully custom liquid cooled system). Just check it every so often (say every week or two) just to make sure nothings leaking or the reservoir level is dropping (a big drop might indicate a leak).

Edited by fstcvc - 31 Mar 2014 at 10:02pm
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 12:16am
Hi tzlopez. I have no answers for your questions, but I do have a big HELLO! and Welcome to the family!!   
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:47am
I'm actually also very interested in the answers here, as the system I will be ordering may have a similar LC setup.
In addition to those questions, can DS/the community help walk through a system flush/topping off when it is needed for maintenance?
tzlopez View Drop Down

Quote tzlopez Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 7:48am
@fstcvc - Thanks for the info! It'll help me much.
@Snaike - Thanks you. It's good to be here.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 8:15am
Eggy - Topping off a liquid cooled system is pretty straight forward: just remove the cap or lid on the reservoir and refill (a funnel may be needed depending on setup). As far a a flush goes, different setups will have different connectors - removing/disconnecting the lowest connection point should allow you to drain/flush the system and refilling is the same as topping off with the exception of having to refill the entire system rather than just a few ounces. Also, the air will have to be worked out of the system. I know this topic has come in the past and there are probably some threads scattered throughout the forums on this. I think DS has also posted a basic walk through on the process.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Apr 2014 at 10:26am
Maintenance to a liquid cooling system is pretty easy. I'm going to assume in this case you only have one loop. Meaning everything is connected to each other. If you two loops, just apply the following recommendations to both.

First off, if you are just filling the loops up, then yes. It's recommended to use the exact same coolant you already have it. Now mixing different brands won't really cause you any harm or foul. But you can avoid a few possible issues if you end up mixing distilled water with a coolant. So just contact DS, and refill with whatever it already has.

Now when you're refilling, never fill the res all the way to the top. Once your res falls below the 50% mark, you'll want to refill. If it falls below the 30% mark, you need to fill asap. But until the 50% mark, there is no reason to refill at all. When you do fill, take it to the 90% mark, max. Don't over fill. If there are any air bubbles in your loop, they need this extra room.

Now when it's time to flush. Completely drain, like fstcvc said, at the lowest point in the loop. DS will probably build in a drain valve specifically for this. Run distilled water through the entire loop several times. So essentially flush it multiple times. Completely fill, run it for a minute, drain. Completely fill, run it for a minute, drain.

Then just fill it. It's easier than you think.

This is also a good time to add any coloring if you want. While people in the past have said color dyes aren't good because they "gunk" up, mayhem has changed that game. Mayhem makes some extremely great dyes of all colors. A couple of drops is all you need.

Good luck.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply