FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CPU Temps --- Again

Post Date: 2012-04-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Lonewolf View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: CPU Temps --- Again
    Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:41am
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 (3.2GHz) (Quad Core) (Black Edition) (8 MB Cache) AM3 Socket
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890XA-UD3 (AMD 790X Chipset) (USB 3.0) (Socket AM3)
System Memory: 4GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair TX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H70 Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With LED Performance Fans (Blue) (Up to 6 Fans)
CPU Boost: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Cooling Upgrade Recommended)
OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

I posted here over a year ago after I got a new PC from you guys with some concerns about my CPU temperatures. Here's a link to my OP:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=14157&PID=162494#162494

Also, you should know my CPU was overclocked to 3.84ghz.

Since then, my temps have progressively gotten worse. I now idle at 50-55c (sitting at 59c right now after a gaming session), and I'm consistently at 75c when gaming. My TjMax is 79c.

This seems WAY too high. I realize my video card isn't the best out there, but I've been noticing my fps isn't ideal in some games and I'm starting to wonder if I'm having heating problems.

Also, why have my temps just constantly gotten worse since I bought the machine? I remember when I first got it I was getting 28c-30c idle, and 40c-45c MAX when gaming. I spent extra money on fans and water cooling so that overheating would NEVER be an issue and I wouldn't even have to think about it.

I'm not here to complain, I'm here to find out if it's time to take the computer in and get a new case + fans + cooling or something. I'm worried I'm not getting enough cooling for an overclocked CPU and I don't want anything to start melting. Had it happen in the past and don't want to go there again.

I can't afford to have this PC die on my because I killed it from overheating from gaming. Appreciate any help I could get with this. Thank you.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 4:40am

Have you tried to check for dust and use compressed air to clean out the heat-sinks?

Lonewolf View Drop Down

Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 5:55am
I clean out the dust as best I can with compressed air. I'm not sure what you mean when you say heat-sinks though. Do you mean the heat-sink on the CPU? Is there a way to clean that without removing it?

Can I assume by your response that these temps are indeed too high? Are they dangerous considering my comp is on all the time and I game a lot at 75c?

Edited by Lonewolf - 07 Apr 2012 at 6:01am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 6:10am
When you blew out the dust, did you see alot of it?    By heatsinks Alex means the metal cooling fins that sit on some mobo's to dissipate heat.  Also, if you did find dust you might have dust buildup in the H70 radiaor that connects to the cpu cooler by cooling tubes.  Probably mounted to the back wall, but not sure where it is your case.
Take the air and blow through the radiator fans to clean out the cooling tubes inside.  Are both fans attached to the radiator turning? 

75c is usually perfectly fine for gpu and cpu, but I can't say for sure with your cpu.

It does seem that chip has a lower safe temp. 

Edited by bprat22 - 07 Apr 2012 at 6:17am
Lonewolf View Drop Down

Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 6:33am
Thanks a lot for the response and suggestions bprat.

There was a pretty good amount of dust, but not a huge amount. I think I see the heat-sinks on the mobo you are referring to --- they look clean to me. Doesn't really even look like they could really get dusty, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing (strip of metal "fins" on the motherboard.)

My radiator is indeed mounted to my back wall. Both fans look to be turning. I'm going to blow some air through them a little later today when I have better light in my computer room.

However I find it hard to believe that if my comps critical limit is 79c, and it will start automatically shutting down at that temp, that being a mere 4 degrees shy of that is safe...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 8:32am
Yep, those are the heatsinks.  
Don't know what your using , but CPUID's  HWMonitor  is good for temps and fan speeds or Speedfan.  Or go into Bios and check cpu_fan  or System_fan for the speeds.  Both fans might be hooked to cpu_fan connector on mobo ..not sure.  Should be 1600 or 2000 rpm I believe.

You might want to trace the wire from pump head itself and unplug and replug to make sure of good connection.  Make sure pump head is tight to cpu mount.

Edited by bprat22 - 07 Apr 2012 at 8:59am
xii View Drop Down

Quote xii Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 9:29am
Also is the PC on the floor?

I highly recommend keeping it off the floor.  Does it have space to vent?  Is the room itself that the PC is in cool?  Id recommend a room below 75 degrees.

Edited by xii - 07 Apr 2012 at 9:29am
Lonewolf View Drop Down

Quote Lonewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 12:49pm
Success! bprat, you're the man.

I checked my radiator and it was absolutely filthy and caked with a huge layer of dust. I cleaned it all off and my good temps are back! Getting ~30c idle, ~35 surfing/watching vids, and have yet to exceed 40c while gaming. What a difference!

So, I'll be cleaning that thing more often now. Oops

Really appreciate the input and the fix, made my day. Thanks a lot.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 1:08pm
   So glad it' s fixed.     By the way.....everything I've read says that chip should stay below 65c.    
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 10:14am
Glad to hear it's fixed! Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply