FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Digital Storm PC for the first time.

Post Date: 2014-10-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MichaelMacade View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MichaelMacade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Buying a Digital Storm PC for the first time.
    Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 7:38pm
Hey all. I'm considering buying a DS built PC for the first time with the following specs:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (The Ultimate Power Platform)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)

Will this rig basically destroy any game coming up soon? I plan to run it on a single monitor that is 32" at 1080p and I want to get an excellent system that will have a long life. Please respond I would be happy to hear your input. Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 3:23am
Hi MichaelMacade.... Welcome to the forums.   

Looks like a nice build to me.    

Sli gtx 980 is a bit more than you need for a single 1920x1080 monitor, but it will give you plenty of room for any future changes.

Good luck.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:07am
For $48 more you could move to the Samsung 850 Pro, which is the top performing SSD right now as well as having a longer warranty.

I would also suggest Windows 8.1, I know some people really don't like the interface but it will support newer versions of DirectX. There are free options to get to back to something closer to Windows 7, my brother uses Classic Shell, and likes it. Since you are going with two of the latest generation graphics cards, I think it would make more sense to be able to take full advantage of what they have to offer.

If you go with overclocked graphics, I believe DS will put in bit higher grade of graphics cards. Though, those are currently in short supply for the GTX 980 cards, so I am not sure they are doing that for them. As bprat22 said, dual 980s are a bit of over kill for a single 1080p monitor, but they do give you room to grow. You may want to consider dropping to 970s, and having them overclocked. The 970s had cards with improved power systems on launch day, so I expect that if you went that route, DS would upgrade them to one of those. To the best of my knowledge the only 980 card with upgraded power delivery is the Asus Strix, which looks like most sold out for the first shipment. If you consider this route, I would discuss it with DS to validate my assumptions.

You picked all very good components and I am sure you will enjoy your system either way. ;-)

Edited by danjw1 - 17 Oct 2014 at 6:08am
bullet100 View Drop Down

Quote bullet100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2014 at 6:23am
I agree with the posters above. SLI GTX 980 would be overkill with 1080p. You could save some money and just buy one for now and SLI it later if you need (could get it on sale next year or something).

The Samsung 850 Pro is the newer model of the 840 EVO and performs slightly better according to these benchmarks: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Samsung-850-Pro-256GB-vs-Samsung-840-Evo-250GB/2385vs1594
Although it's been stated that the difference would hardly be noticeable, but personally I'd go with the newer tech.

To put it simply...you will destroy games for the next few years and have room to upgrade.

Edited by bullet100 - 17 Oct 2014 at 6:23am
Angeldeth View Drop Down

Quote Angeldeth Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 1:37pm
I got the Samsung EVO and wish I had gotten the Samsung PRO due to the firmware issues that are making the Samsung EVO drives slower.  There are some possible fixes but people aren't 100% sure they fix the complete underlying problem.  Though I haven't been able to test out the Samsung firmware fixes since my computer arrived with a bad motherboard and is with DS for repair at this time.

Article reference:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/190746-samsung-840-evo-has-serious-performance-bug-fix-on-the-way
MichaelMacade View Drop Down

Quote MichaelMacade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2014 at 2:34pm
I actually did end up going with the 850 pro SSD because of the feedback here. The rest of my build hasn't changes much but I'll go ahead and post it here.

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Military-Grade TUF Components)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (256GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
 Post Reply Post Reply