FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bolt II Static Issue

Post Date: 2014-10-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aurora Symphony View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aurora Symphony Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Bolt II Static Issue
    Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 3:53am
I recently bought a bolt II and have had it since August 1st. I've tried plugging in a audio out cord to the front speaker jack in the back of the case and there's a static sound when I'm in a game. The sound fluctuates when I'm moving around in the game. Having figured this out, I switched to using the front two jacks (audio out and line in) and plugged in headphones to the audio out port. There's no static in-game when my headphones are plugged into the two front jacks, but there's always static in-game from my rear surround-sound jacks. After snooping around forums, someone suggested it's a video card interference problem. This would make sense, because it only happens in-game and the sound changes when the fps changes. My Bolt II has a 780 ti.

My dilemma is that I accidentally hit my headphone's jack while it was plugged in and it pushed my only non-static, audio out, port on the front panel and now I can't use my headphones with a mic attached without hearing a loud static sound. I'll go into my case and see if I can fix the misplaced audio out port on the front panel, but I'm a little hesitant as it means I'll have to strip put a few parts just to get at that port. Even if I do get to the port, I'm not sure if I can fix it. I can plug a jack fully into the port, but it takes some finagling to get sound through one ear.

Any thoughts on possible fixes or reassurance on my hardware manipulation attempt?

Edited by Aurora Symphony - 27 Oct 2014 at 3:56am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 4:22am
If the static is electrical noise through the mobo, between the audio and graphics circuits, I would try re installing the graphics driver or changing some settings like G-sync, etc.

If it's signal interference, over the air, rerouting the speaker wires away from monitor cable might help or getting a ferrite choke, Amazon, etc, can sometimes help when snapped over the wires. The choke has worked for me with radio noise but never used it on a pc.

The dislodged audio plug should be easy but on the Bolt, it looks like it's behind the rad.   Maybe the front panel comes off?

Good luck.

Quote Aurora Symphony Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 4:29am
Originally posted by bprat22

If the static is electrical noise through the mobo, between the audio and graphics circuits, I would try re installing the graphics driver or changing some settings like G-sync, etc.

If it's signal interference, over the air, rerouting the speaker wires away from monitor cable might help or getting a ferrite choke, Amazon, etc, can sometimes help when snapped over the wires. The choke has worked for me with radio noise but never used it on a pc.

The dislodged audio plug should be easy but on the Bolt, it looks like it's behind the rad.   Maybe the front panel comes off?

Good luck.

If the front panel can come off, that'd be great. It looks like it should, but I've only removed the side panel before.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 4:54am
Looking at the pic of the BOlt,it looks like once the side panels are off, screws for the front panel are seen. It might be tight to pull away, depending on how the USB and audio are mounted.   If you have the 240mm rad, it might be easier to remove its 4 screws and pull it out of the way, gently.

Let us know how it goes.

Quote Aurora Symphony Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:06am
That's what I suspected. I'll work on that tomorrow, if needed.

Quote Aurora Symphony Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:51am
I've removed the front panel. Doing so was much more complicated than I had thought. The audio jack isn't quite seated properly and any amount of movement sends it into a frenzy. I don't think there's any way of me being able to fix it on my own. I could unscrew the board from the panel, but I don't have a soldering kit or the knowledge.

I guess this basically means that I have to get a USB stereo adapter like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-CM-UAUD-Adapter-C-Media-Chipset/dp/B001MSS6CS/ref=pd_sim_ac_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KM9PWRTGW41NHER4J4E

Do USB stereo adapters produce good quality sound? I know there may be distortions in some models, but does anyone have experience with them?

This is a bummer as I have to wait 3-4 weeks to get one shipped here to Japan.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 9:57am
Sorry to hear.   I don't have any experience with the USB adapter but hopefully others will chime in.   Reviews I have seen were mostly if not all positive.   Plus, I don't think its as susceptible to static.

Post Reply Post Reply