Benchmarking

Post Date: 2015-02-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Benchmarking
    Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 10:19pm
Hi,

I have a wonderful DS system that I've had no problems with. Lately I've been having some screen artifacts while playing a game. Now I'm not 100% sure it's my system. Could be drivers, the game itself etc.. but I figure before I consider buying a new video card I would like to test the hardware, system temps etc. to make sure it isn't my system. Can anyone suggest the best way to do that. I don't want to spend any $$ since I will most likely just run it once to test my temps and see if I see the problem while running the test. I know i need something to stress test the card and my system and also I guess something to monitor my system temps.

As you can tell I haven't do this much. I had one of the DS guys do it to my system back when I got my system (about 2 years ago) to make sure my system was stable ..which it was and I believe still is.

Thanks for any suggestions. Really appreciated.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Feb 2015 at 11:02pm

Catzilla, especially if you like dub step :)
Heaven 4.0
3D Mark Fire Strike ( forget the name of the 3D Mark software which includes this)
Furmark

All free, but note some have less features than others. Furmark is very stressful in terms of heat, I suggest watching the temps when running it ( it will show temp(s))

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:05pm
What is the best way to monitor temps? 
Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:09pm
Some benchtests show temps on the screen. Like Furmark
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 4:27pm
oh okay. Great. Thanks so much. I will look into Furmark. 
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 10:30pm
HWMonitor, RealTemps, Speccy (RealTemps lets you put the current temps in the notification bar) etc.

Just don't believe HWMonitor when it gives you the mobo temp.. it says mine is 122°C when I first turn it on.   
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2015 at 11:31pm
Thank you. I was running HWMonitor while playing the game to see if temps spiked but all looked good but one reading - AUXTIN - under temperatures. All other temps in that section were at 30 to 36 celsius. was showing 129 degrees Celsius. Since it was the only one that was so high I had to assume it was a wrong reading. Just not sure if the video card is bad since these screen artifacts and color flicks in game have just started this week. 
Pacesetter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Pacesetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 12:28am
You might try rolling back your video driver for the tearing/artifacting if it was recently updated.

The latest Nvidia driver is mostly for Evolve so isn't needed for other games and the GTX 980 gets the most benefit from it.

Btw if anyone does play Evolve there is a mod going around that comes in a .exe download that is a computer hack and will not help you defeat other players!

Vanquish II Ultimate.
I was laying in bed looking up at the stars and wondered "where is my ceiling?"
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 2:49am
Hi JohnD212..... Yeah, the screen artifacts and such are usually a good sign the card is going bad, but usually across any game, even just desktop. Rolling back driver or just trying a different one as Pacesetter said would be my first step.

Good luck.
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:24am
Thanks. I guess I'll go back to an older driver before dropping another $600 on a video card. Seems a logical first attempt. 
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:28am
I would assume it wasn't the card since I don't see the problem outside of the game but then I realized i don't really play any other games right now. So my video card probably doesn't really ramp up when I'm just reading web pages or watching video streams. I think I'll first use Furmark to test it, then roll back the drivers before considering the bigger jump of a new card (this card is only a little over a year old). 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2015 at 3:40am
I never did much with furmark, although it is popular, but Unigine Heaven is also very good.

Let us know.    
JohnD212 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote JohnD212 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:30pm
Turns out my card is actually going bad. Thankfully EVGA has a 3 year warranty so my card (which is a little over 1 year old) is covered. I just have to go through a few hoops and they'll send me a new card to swap this out. I ran the Unigine Heaven benchmark tool and the artifacts were insane. Now when I play FFXIV there are artifacts all over. It doesn't appear to be temperatures (I monitor them and they don't rise up much past 70c). I would suspect perhaps bad VRAM. Not an expert but just glad it's not my system. 
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 2:41am
Thanks for the feedback. Sorry you have a bad card, but good you figured it out, EVGA has it covered and the card is an easy fix.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2015 at 9:46am

I bought an AMD card once, and used some benchmark software on it, and realized it did not work. I think it's good idea to hammer on a new card a bit or a card you think is not working with some benchmark software

Some games I have also are good tests. Dirt 3, and Tombraider will crash a system that passed 3D Mark as I recall.

Post Reply Post Reply