FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ASUS and EVGA gone for good?

Post Date: 2014-07-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
rodericrinehart View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rodericrinehart Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ASUS and EVGA gone for good?
    Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 9:38am
I already have two DS systems and we are VERY happy with them.

I've checked back a few times to see how things have changed in the few months since I initially started investigating getting a gaming PC.

One thing that boggled my mind is the absence of ASUS and EVGA versions of the graphics cards, especially the AMD variants. There is no way in hell I (or likely any of you) would get caught with a reference AMD as nearly every review site has shown those to be incredibly inefficient and unbelievably hot (which throttles them mercilessly). I got the ASUS Direct CU II 290x and it is hot but stays cool enough to not throttle even on max settings at 1600p.

Is there a reason DS stopped carrying non-reference cards and will they start carrying them in the future? It will be 4 years until we likely buy new computers, but I still want to keep informed about the company I'm likely to buy them from.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jul 2014 at 11:32am
First off, it depends on what you're going to do with your card. If you're buying a system that is going to be fully liquid cooled, including the cards... reference is the way to go. The only time you wouldn't buy reference is if you're buying say an EVGA Classified.

Really, no ASUS is worth buying an aftermarket OC just to remove the heatsink and cool. Waste of money.

So reference has a good reason to still float around. And FYI, EVGA and ASUS sell reference cards... so technically they aren't "gone for good". Not to mention, you can save a little money, and use a reference cooler that will blow hot air out of your case, vs all other ASUS and EVGA coolers that blow hot air into the case.

And lastly, DS sells ACX cooler cards from EVGA along with DirectCU cards from ASUS.

Edited by Meller - 23 Jul 2014 at 11:32am
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply