Apollo Build Suggestions

Post Date: 2014-09-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Muggz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Muggz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Apollo Build Suggestions
    Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 9:03am
Budget:
2-3k

Expectations:
Play games on 1920x1200 on ultra settings (new games too)

Usage:
This computer will be mostly for gaming and some light matlab work (not modeling)

Special Needs:
none really.

Saved Ticket #: 1046156

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-C (Intel Z97 Chipset) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (240GB Intel 730 Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

------------------------

Questions:

I went with an upgraded level 3 versus going to level 4 (which is ddr4 and newest board with 6 core processor. Do you think the better value lies in the upgraded level 3, or should I spent a little more and get the level 4 with the newest mobo, ram, chips etc.

If I stick with the level 3 upgraded (the one I linked above) I have a few places I'm curious in for details:

1. Motherboard choice - Should I get a better mobo with maybe the option to add another video card down the line or perhaps to get a higher overclock on the chip? Don't really know much here, so suggestions here would help a lot.

2. SSD drive choice - I upgraded the 120gb that was default on there. I'd like a 250gb sssd and I'm curious what's the best value/brand here. I know a few years ago, the intels were really solid but there seems to be a pro and a regular version for some of the choices. Worth it to get the pro version here?

3. Video card - I upped the 780 to the 780 Ti. I heard the 8 series was coming out but that the 780 Ti would still be better than the 880. Would doing sli be a better option here or stick with a single big card? Suggestions welcome. goal again: 1920x1200 resolution, very high/ultra settings.

4. Cooling - Should I get the default liquid cooling or go with a noctua air stage 2? I've heard really good things about the noctua and it's only a little more expensive. Opinions welcome on other choices as well (different air/different liquid setups.)

5. CPU overclock - worth the 20 to get the higher end one? Also, what mobo would I need here / would I need better cooling? Is graphics/memory boost worth it?
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 9:38am
1) It really depends. For just gaming, you won't notice difference. If you plan on doing workstation stuff like video editing and CAD, going with a 6-core + system will show improvements.

2) Samsung drives tend to have the most recommendation here on these forums but Corsair and Intel are great options as well.

3) Going with a single big card is better as it allows you to SLI it in the future and get better performance. Going with two lower-end cards in the beginning will limit you.

4) The AiO options (Corsair H110i, etc) are more than enough for cooling the chip. The Noctua would do about the same job but would be bulkier in the system. It really depends on your needs and aesthetic wants.

Edited by Nav - 08 Sep 2014 at 9:39am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 9:48am
Hi Muggz....  That looks like a good build to me.    To answer your questions..

1...For your single monitor, the single 780Ti should do it.   Very High to Ultra should be no problem.  There might be some gpu hogs that drop into the 50"s fps on Ultra, but adding another card for a few fps is an expensive way to go and the 780ti is a super card.  If you do want the option to sli the 780ti, you'll also need to up the psu to the 1050HX as an example.  A 850watt might do it, but most reputable places recommend a 1000 watt or better.    Stage 1 oc is also all you really need. The higher stage 2 is nice but only gives a few percentage points better gaming, and only  with some games.  

2.. I don't do much with SSD recommendations, so maybe others can help.

3....Kinda answered this in the first answer and the 880 or 980, depending if they skip using 800, is rumored to be better than the 780 but not the 780ti.   One site does say it'll be 10% better than 780 ti, so really speculation.  The 980 will have more vram, 4gb vs 3gb, but that's a 4k monitor need and use less power.   

4...I like the air cooler like the Noctua.  It is the best.  The sealed liquid coolers are smaller, lighter and work great, but the air coolers work just as well and are very dependable.  Not much to go wrong with a big block of cooling fins.   No pump, tubing, liquid, firmware, etc.    Noctua will overhand one of the ram slots, however.   Its easy to remove the fan or cooler if needed.  

5... I'd stick with stage 1 overclock.   Higher oc is only a small step up and will generate more heat.  

The new Haswell E, 6 and 8 core chips on the X99 mobo's is sweet, but for gaming, the faster ram and more cores is little used.  Can't say about 2-3 years form now.      It's really an enthusiast gaming setup for those with higher budget and just want the best.

Hope this helps. Big%20Smile

Nav beat me. StrongBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Sep 2014 at 9:49am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 9:58am
Originally posted by bprat22

Nav beat me. StrongBig%20Smile

Alex heads off on vacation and Nav's taken over.

Someone better let Alex know that Nav's after his job!!!     

Edited by Snaike - 08 Sep 2014 at 9:59am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 10:04am
LOL  The more the merrier.       

Muggz... One thing I would change... go with the Western Digital Caviar Black for another $19...   Better drive and warranty.                 

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Sep 2014 at 10:06am
Muggz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muggz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 10:46am
Okay, so did a few changes:

1) SSD to Samsung Pro 256gb.

2) Changed storage drive to WD Black.

3) Changed to Noctua

I think I'm going to stick with 1 big card and go with the Ti. I think if I need to upgrade, I can just go to another very good single card later. Like a 980 Ti if I feel the need. Do you think this is reasonable or should I up the PS to 1050W, change the mobo to something that supports SLI, and have the option to go two Ti's in the future?

as an aside: Should I look at the titans or something with built in sli? Just curious.

Also, the one thing I'm unsure of here is the mobo for the build with the changes listed above, the 750 Watt, and single Ti. Is the default choice good here or should I get a slightly better one?

Last thing; Anywhere I can cut costs?

Edited by Muggz - 08 Sep 2014 at 10:47am
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Snaike

Alex heads off on vacation and Nav's taken over.

Someone better let Alex know that Nav's after his job!!!     

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 11:16am
Your original posted build and the changes you listed are great, in my book.   The 750W psu is fine.      The 780 ti is another $200 , but does give you another 20% or so performance and for single card system, it gives longevity. 

The Titan Black is 780ti performance for lots more money.  It does give you more vram, but for your monitor you'll not need it.  

Looks good. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 08 Sep 2014 at 11:17am
Muggz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muggz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 8:21pm
Besides my last questions; I read in another post that overclocking the 780 Ti results in a very large performance increase...is this true/should I add that?
StealthG6 View Drop Down

Quote StealthG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 8:59pm
TBH I wouldn't even bother with a SSD unless you are really super impatient, because mine boots up in about 6 to 7 seconds without a SSD. I would use that money to upgrade your mother board for an SLI/Crossfire board my Gigabyte has been great so far when it comes to that. Or get a bigger radiator.

But the choice is yours. I did spend the extra money for passing on an SSD for fancy lighted fans and internal lighting, could of put it in myself but I didn't want to spend the extra money to upgrade my OC GTX 770 SLI to a GTX 780 SLI plus I would need a bigger power supply for that and it was over my personal limit I gave myself.

The 780TI is a good card but I opted for the OC GTX 770's you get a bit more performance out of them than a single 780TI even overclocked. But truth be told the 780TI can run any game current and near future without much trouble.

Edited by StealthG6 - 08 Sep 2014 at 9:06pm
Apollo
i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 4GB
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97
H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator
Muggz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muggz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2014 at 9:43pm
im thinking this looks really good. i spend a bit more now with the option to add sli in the future.

1046521 is the new config

let me know what yall think.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 2:59am
Looks great.   Gives you sli option, plus the Gryphon mobo and 1050hx each have longer manufacturers warranty.   Quality picks.

Muggz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muggz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 6:37am
the new goal would be upgrade path:
1) Upgrade to a 1440p monitor.
2) Then later down the road, add in a 2nd 780 Ti, or if this is further down the road, something else (A single big card or two new ones).

Would the Noctua prevent too much space to add in SLI later? I just want to make sure nothing conflicts with that (Or if I plan on going to 1440p I should be aware of something there.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 7:24am
Noctua won't interfere with adding another card in sli.  The first card plugs into the top Pciex16 slot anyways.  If you go sli down the road, the Gryphon being a smaller mobo, MATX, will have all 4 slots covered, so no way to add any other card, like a WiFi or sound card.  Just a heads up.

The Noctua does sit close to the first card with the smaller Gryphon mobo and sometimes DS will put an small insulating pad on the video card, just to make sure the cooler doesn't touch the card.   

Edit.... For the full size Apollo case I personally would get a full size mobo, like the Sabertooth, but the Gryphon will work great.  Your choice. 

Edited by bprat22 - 09 Sep 2014 at 7:29am
StealthG6 View Drop Down

Quote StealthG6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 10:08am
Interesting choice on the CPU fan cooler, but I see you put the money towards a better motherboard. That looks like a good setup though you shouldn't have to worry about any issues with games plus with that huge PS you are all set for an SLI config with the 780ti.
Apollo
i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon)
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x Asus GTX 770 DirectCU II 4GB
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper Z97
H20: Stage 2: Corsair H110 280mm Radiator
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by bprat22

If you go sli down the road, the Gryphon being a smaller mobo, MATX, will have all 4 slots covered, so no way to add any other card, like a WiFi or sound card.  Just a heads up. The Noctua does sit close to the first card with the smaller Gryphon mobo and sometimes DS will put an small insulating pad on the video card, just to make sure the cooler doesn't touch the card.    Edit.... For the full size Apollo case I personally would get a full size mobo, like the Sabertooth, but the Gryphon will work great.  Your choice. 

I mostly agree with what bprat22 says here. I just wanted to point out that USB options are available both for WiFi and audio. Though, I really don't think anyone really needs discrete audio, these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply