Post Date: 2012-07-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
belaflek73 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote belaflek73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Air Flow question
    Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:27pm
I was reading about a system with positive airflow pressure and another with negative airflow pressure.  Sounds like you can create one or the other by changing the proportion of inward to outward facing fans.  From what I read it seems like negative airflow pressure tends to lead to better air circulation in the case but tends to increase dust build up.  Positive airflow pressure leads to less dust but you may have areas inside the case not getting good airflow exposure.

At any rate, would I be correct in thinking that if you went with h2o cooling then negative airflow pressure would work better because the cooling is happening inside the case and your primary objective is to exhaust out the hot air.

And then along the same logic if you went with air cooling then you would want as much fresh air entering the case as possible so you would want a positive airflow pressured case.

Lastly, are these generalizations not completely accurate and really these things have to be tweaked when stress testing is done?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 1:31pm
True, but, these things make a small difference in real-world thermals and performance.

We normally have the units now blow the exhaust air out, and have them configured with negative pressure.

It's easy to dust your PC every few months, a compressed air can is all you need, just make sure you do not use it upside down. Cool
belaflek73 View Drop Down

Quote belaflek73 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 2:26pm
Thanks Alex,

In college these guys I knew aimed their window fans so that they blew air out of the room and their room used to always be so cold. Made for ideal beer drinking conditions
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2012 at 2:32pm
You're welcome.Cool
tju76 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jul 2012 at 7:04pm
for a full water cooled setup you should try having the radiator fans as intake, allowing cool air from outside the case to pass through the rads instead of hot air in the case being pulled out just my opinion, and something to think about
 Post Reply Post Reply