FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for using an SSD as a boot drive!

Post Date: 2014-03-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ZyloWolfBane View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ZyloWolfBane Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice for using an SSD as a boot drive!
    Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 7:15pm
I've never actually owned an SSD before and with the PC I ordered I chose a 256GB SSD as my boot drive and a 1TB HDD for all of my non-essential media storage.

The idea was to have windows run faster and put all of my essential programs (Anti-virus, and other sometimes annoying programs that start up when the PC does) and possibly a few of my most commonly played video games that I've never un-installed from my PC like most blizzard titles on the SSD.

Outside of that I'm not really sure how I should be handling the storage of my files, what I should put where.

I know when you install a game or program you can choose where it goes, so I know with like my steam library I'll be saving it to my HDD.

But what about things like browsers, flash, clients for things like spotify or razer synapse or NVIDIA's new optimizer software?

And also do shortcuts made from HDD programs still function the same on the desktop even though the desktop is on the SSD?

I just want to make sure I don't fill the SSD too fast, or wear it out with constant writes/reads and make sure I'm doing this right from the moment I start using the new PC before any files get loaded to the SSD that for some reason won't be transferable without a ton of hoops to jump through.

So, any advice or guidelines that any of you out there follow concerning this? I know it sounds silly to worry about this, but I tend to do that a lot lol.

Edited by ZyloWolfBane - 04 Mar 2014 at 7:17pm
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 7:29pm
Chiming in here because I'm in exactly the same boat.  It will be my first SSD, too, and it's only 128GB.  I have looked into it and at the moment my plan is to install all games (and the Steam client) to the HD, as, apart from improving load times, putting games on the SSD has no effect on game performance whatsoever.  There's a guy on this forum who is a huge power-user of Flight Simulator X and runs it, and its 300GB of scenery add-ons, from a dedicated SSD; makes sense but this seems to be a special case.

I believe iTunes wants to be on the boot drive (the SSD) but can access data files from the HD.  I hope so.  I want to get Win 8.1 (another new experience for me) to keep all user data on the HD.  I'm not sure if digital video editing programs such as Sony Vegas should be installed to the SSD in order to take advantage of its superior performance; perhaps someone can advise.

I think it's going to be a bit trial-and-error.  I hope both Win 8.1 and any individual programs that need to go on the SSD boot drive will be good about allowing me to store their user data on the HD.  As I said, I'm not sure I play any game that needs super-optimised load times so I may not install any games at all on the SSD unless people here advise otherwise.

Am I correct in assuming that all (usually small) background utilities (Avira AV, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter 4, FRAPS, Teamspeak, scanning software, browsers, CCleaner, Auslogics disk defrag, iCloud) can, or should, go on the C: drive (SSD) or does it make no difference?

I do not mean to hijack your thread; I'm hoping that since we are in exactly the same situation, we can learn about it together.

Edited by Bahger - 04 Mar 2014 at 7:40pm

Quote ZyloWolfBane Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by Bahger

Chiming in here because I'm in exactly the same boat.  It will be my first SSD, too, and it's only 128GB.  I have looked into it and at the moment my plan is to install all games (and the Steam client) to the HD, as, apart from improving load times, putting games on the SSD has no effect on game performance whatsoever.  There's a guy on this forum who is a huge power-user of Flight Simulator X and runs it, and its 300GB of scenery add-ons, from a dedicated SSD; makes sense but this seems to be a special case.

I believe iTunes wants to be on the boot drive (the SSD) but can access data files from the HD.  I hope so.  I want to get Win 8.1 (another new experience for me) to keep all user data on the HD.  I'm not sure if digital video editing programs such as Sony Vegas should be installed to the SSD in order to take advantage of its superior performance; perhaps someone can advise.

I think it's going to be a bit trial-and-error.  I hope both Win 8.1 and any individual programs that need to go on the SSD boot drive will be good about allowing me to store their user data on the HD.  As I said, I'm not sure I play any game that needs super-optimised load times so I may not install any games at all on the SSD unless people here advise otherwise.

Am I correct in assuming that all (usually small) background utilities (Avira AV, Malwarebytes, Spyhunter 4, FRAPS, Teamspeak, scanning software, browsers, CCleaner, Auslogics disk defrag, iCloud) can, or should, go on the C: drive (SSD) or does it make no difference?

I do not mean to hijack your thread; I'm hoping that since we are in exactly the same situation, we can learn about it together.

Oh no problem, I mean I've had a few friends recommend a few things to me but they're used to using the smallest GB size possible for their SSDs, like yours.

I thought maybe by getting one slightly larger it might allow me to be a little lazy about it lol.

I'm also getting windows 8.1 to save about $100, even though I prefer Windows 7, but my wife's laptop has had 8 since it came out and we've had nothing but problems with it.

One update didn't update properly (No idea why) and it bricked the system, we had to pay to get it reinstalled, just a huge mess.

So yeah, it's gonna be a learning experience.

I had planned to possibly upgrade the 256GB to a full TB later on in the year or possibly next year when the prices come down a little (Even though some of the samsung models are roughly 0.55 per GB which is amazing!) so then I'll be able to mirror the original SSD to that one and not worry what I put on it.

And then the extra HDD can be for totally random media that I save, the 256GB could then be reformatted and used as a dedicated gaming drive too.

*Shrug* But for now I'd like to know what the proper procedure would be for the time being lol.

Edited by ZyloWolfBane - 04 Mar 2014 at 8:04pm
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 11:09pm
I'm cautiously optimistic about 8.1..With new Windows OS releases, I prefer to let other people be the beta testers.  I've heard that MS got it together and that a lot of games perform much better in 8.1 than in anything else.  I've been running Vista 64x SP2 and, whatever people say, they fixed that, too and it's been a really stable platform for all my games.

From what I've learned, your plan to use a large SSD as a gaming drive will get you lightning-fast load times but at considerable expense.  Perhaps that's what we will all be doing in five years when the prices come down but meanwhile my MO will be to use the SSD to optimise my OS and its associated functions (like DV editing, perhaps) while believing -- as I've been told, anyway -- that my new, almost state-of-the-art DS gaming rig will run games from the HDD as smoothly and fast as I could possibly want.  I think a lot of people install their favorite games on the SSD in the hope of maximising performance but choosing which of my games to put on the SSD seems arbitrary to me.  80% of my games are on Steam, and splitting the Steam library between two drives is probably asking for trouble, if it's even possible.  I suppose I could put Titanfall on the SSD when it comes out because that's supposed to be a real system-hog, like Crysis was back in the day, but when I asked the DS tech about how to manage all this, he said that their tech support guys get a LOT of calls from people who say "I put a bunch of games on my small SSD and now there's no more room, how can I get them onto my nice, big HDD?  I am concerned that if I put some games on one drive and others on another, I'm going to end up with a bit of a mess.  Finally, I tend to uninstall games as soon as I get bored with them; I think I'd rather not be constantly installing and uninstalling large programs on my small SSD.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 4:13am
I honestly don't use my 1tb drive i think i wasted money adding that to my build since i'll never use it. I just put everything on my ssd although i do have a large ssd drive which is 447gb so wish i could help y'all.
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12

Quote ZyloWolfBane Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by ArkansasWoman777

I honestly don't use my 1tb drive i think i wasted money adding that to my build since i'll never use it. I just put everything on my ssd although i do have a large ssd drive which is 447gb so wish i could help y'all.

Yeah, I almost wish I had just waited (Since it's been nearly two weeks waiting for my PC anyway) and splurged on a bigger drive when my tax check/pay checks came.

I can almost fill a 1TB HDD after like.....2 years, my current PC has like 200GB left and that was only after years of accumulating music, games, over 200 steam library games installed, videos I've made for work, etc.

Once I deleted everything that was non-essential from my HDD and left only the games I'm actually playing and my music I have like 572GB left.

Which with an SSD the size of yours I could have easily gotten by with it if I watched it carefully.

EDIT- Upon further inspection I got it down to a little under 300GB usage and there's still many left over files worth either a few dozen MBs or a full GB laying around post-uninstall from games and such.

So perhaps I don't need to do anything special at all, just make sure that any programs I install after I get it are saved to the HDD.

But still, if anyone has any insight on this subject I'd still love to know about it =D

Edited by ZyloWolfBane - 05 Mar 2014 at 4:17pm
DreadRaybo View Drop Down

Quote DreadRaybo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 6:35pm
Well I was originally going to reply to Bahger's post, but since you're both here I will tell you of my experiences so far. I purchased my system back in June 2013 with a 120GB SSD.

First of all, if you have the option to do a custom install and change the drive, you can install on your HD rather than your SSD. You do not have to install iTunes on the SSD. If you do, it will want to save all your music there too, which will take up a lot of space.

I've tried to keep most programs on my HD, including my anti-virus software. I even found out how to change all the library folders to the HD (Documents, Movies, Pictures, Videos and Downloads). Although I can't remember how to do that now. I googled it at the time. Even though you install all of these programs on to your HD, most of the time something of that program will still be installed on the SSD. I assume this is so it works correctly with Windows.

I have Steam and all of it's games installed on the HD, with Origin and BF4 installed on the SSD. I found a way to install BF3 on the HD in case I want to play that again. The reason I installed BF4 on the SSD is because it will load maps between rounds faster, and I will be one of the first ones up and running at the start of each round.

With pretty much only Win7, Origin and BF4 installed on my 120GB SSD, I only have 3.23GB of space left. So I'll probably have to upgrade to a 256 or 500GB drive at some point. My HD is 1TB, and I'm using 202GB now, as I have a lot of music on there. If you get a good HD, like the WD Caviar I got, you probably won't notice a whole lot of difference in bringing up regular programs. It will load up in 5 seconds instead of 2.

So that has been my experience so far. Hope it helps.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 7:01pm
Thanks so much for the useful info.

Wow, your SSD filled up quickly!

I have the Caviar HDD too.  Glad it's good. 

I'm wondering if I can make a kind of rule for myself: All games (Steam and otherwise) on the HDD, no exceptioons.  All data files (iincluding Windows user data folders such as music, documents and pictures) on the HDD.  The OS (Windows 8.1) and all my small programs and utilities that doi not generate large data files that need to be co-located, on the SSD.  What am I forgetting?
DreadRaybo View Drop Down

Quote DreadRaybo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 8:06pm
Really it comes down to personal preference. Operating system is a given for the SSD. After that, put on your SSD whatever you want to load quickly, and whatever you have space for.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 9:34am
Originally posted by DreadRaybo

Really it comes down to personal preference. Operating system is a given for the SSD. After that, put on your SSD whatever you want to load quickly, and whatever you have space for.
Fair enough.  However, it's going to be interesting to figure out whether programs installed on the SSD for performance can read to, write from and generally access data stored on the HDD without problems.  I'm thinking partly of DV editing, where it is good practice, because the files are so huge, to store the data on a different drive from the software. 

A propos, last night I worked out that I have about 61GB of personal data in my Windows User data folders (excluding video), including a large iTunes library; all this would fit comfortably on my SSD as long as I make sure not to put games and other very big programs on it.  I think in this respect I seem to differ from other users of gaming machines with this configuration who either want to put certain games on the SSD (there's not much headroom with 128GB) or want to buy an SSD with the capacity to store all their games.  A 1TB SSD for the Slade at DS is a $700 price hike.  I want all my games to live on one drive so for the time being, therefore, they are going on the HDD,
 Post Reply Post Reply