FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Advice for Designing Gaming Rig?

Post Date: 2014-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jpforensic View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Advice for Designing Gaming Rig?
    Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:54pm
Budget:
$2500

Expectations:
Looking for a gaming rig - single monitor 27" at 1080p - would like to have the option to upgrade as needed over the next several years to keep up with advances in gaming software without needing to purchase a new rig.

Usage:
Gaming primarily (WoW-WoD Expansion), Surfing Net, Photo and Home Video Editing

Special Needs:
Id like a relatively quiet system without sacrificing performance

Saved Ticket #: 1073592, 1073660, or 1073910

Hi - all -this will be my first DigitalStorm system. Went the Dell route eight years ago (meh) and am ready to invest in a system that will dominate and that also comes with reliable customer service. Ive listed three separate builds and am open to any advice that anyone is willing to give. one of the questions that I have in particular: is it worthwhile to have the video card overclocked? Also, does the noise dampening option significantly decrease the noise?

Im excited to choose a build, modify my selections as needed and pull the trigger! Thanks again for the advice ahead of time!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 5:59am
Hi jpforensic..... Welcome to the forums.

All 3 build s are very good, and about the same performance.   The second build doesn't allow a sli, 2x gpu setup, the others do.  Depends if you ever want sli.  With your single 1080p monitor, a single card is excellent.  

The case difference, the Virtue 350D vs the Apollo 760T is more a personal choice.  They both work.

I personally would opt for the 3rd config, and change the mobo to the Gryphon and the psu to the 750W EVGA Super Nova.    Even if you don't sli, the Gryphon mobo has a 5 year warranty as opposed to 3 years for the others.     The 750W EVGA has a 10 year warranty, I believe, as opposed to 3 years for the other.    The 10 year might require registration in a certain time frame, but that's something to check with their website.

The other difference was the cpu coolers.  Either will work just fine with your overclock.  The 240mm rad will mount under the top and give the case more airflow, plus more cpu cooling potential, but both work great.

The overclocked 970ACX card will give you a few frames per second better performance over the reference card.  It will dump more heat into the case, being the dual fan, but shouldn't be a problem in either case.  If you meant the Graphics Boost, I wouldn't.  The 970 ACX has it already.   If you get the reference card with single fan, I would just leave it as is. 

I wouldn't opt for the sound deadening.  No place for the material to mount and the fan speeds are easily tweaked by you.

Not sure what storage you need, but if the budget is getting stretched, I would drop to the 1TB Western Digital Black and put some of the money into  a larger 256Gb SSD. 

Hope this helps and good luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 01 Nov 2014 at 6:04am

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 6:55am
Thank for the welcome bprat!

I appreciate your advice tremendously as this is my first real attempt at choosing components for a rig. Im definitely interested in SLI for possible future upgrades so I am eliminating the second build as it is currently configured.

I'll amend the third build based on your recommendations and then repost. Always good to have a second set of eyes on it before I'm ready to go.

As an aside, I've also selected the upgrade for internal lighting because its just plain sexy. Can you comment as to whether or not the extra light is distracting while gaming? Im particularly concerned with low-light game environments where I might end up losing some detail due to the ambient lighting from the case. (Conversely, i can certainly see where the green light can contribute to the atmosphere of some games.)

Thanks again and Im happy to be one of the newest forum members!

By the way, the wealth of knowledge in these forums is second to none imo. Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 7:20am
My pleasure.  Big%20Smile

The knowledge from the forum members is a definite step above any other site.  And just good fun.  Strong

The internal lighting isn't as in-your-face as some of the pictures imply, IMHO.  At least for me, it's a soft lighting that does a great job of showing off the guts of the rig without distracting at all.   Plus, there is a small red switch on the back I/O panel that you can use to switch them off if needed.

Big%20Smile

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 11:28am
I'm convinced - the green lights stay! (I think I'd regret it if I removed them).

Well I amended the build so here is what I will consider the final build: 1074542

Now, I need to decide if I can/should wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to take advantage of any DS deals... After drooling over this build waiting will be very difficult!

Thanks again!
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 3:43pm
That looks like a very solid build. I think you made the right decision on a 256GB SSD, it seems to be a sweet spot for most people. Good luck on holding out for the next deal. ;-)
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by jpforensic

I'm convinced - the green lights stay! (I think I'd regret it if I removed them).

Well I amended the build so here is what I will consider the final build: 1074542

Now, I need to decide if I can/should wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday to take advantage of any DS deals... After drooling over this build waiting will be very difficult!

Thanks again!

I will say that even when sites do crazy sales like half off a video card or something, you won't see that price reflected here. Their black friday/cyber monday/holiday sales will probably be what we usually see. Up to a few hundred dollars off and maybe free shipping.

I say that just because I don't want you to wait thinking you can save 25% per card because that's what newegg does is all. You will save some, but not a ton if you get what I mean.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 7:53pm
Thanks for the heads-up. As I am totally unfamiliar with purchasing through DS, I had no idea what to expect as far as whether or not to expect significant discounts during holiday sales. Im itching to place the order, but I wanted to avoid seeing the 25% off per card less than a month after I make my purchase if at all possible. I'd also be just as disappointed (maybe a little more so) if I elected to wait for a significant drop in price and it never comes so thanks again for passing along some crucial information to help me make my decision! I'm hoping that the next time I post it will be as one of DS's newest customers. Cheers!
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 9:41pm
I'm like 99% you won't see any huge massive discounts between now and then. I've sales where they had up to $400 off... but you basically had to be buying an Aventum to get the full thing. If you buy now... you might see you could have saved $100-$200 max come the end of november. Just depends how badly you want it.

I know my guild is making us have our main and our alts raid ready for when the first raid opens up (which is like 17 days after launch). So, if I was you... I'd want my new pc asap so I could be good to go for launch in 12 days.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2014 at 11:13am
I agree regarding properly preparing for raiding. The rig I have now is functional with the latest patch, but only tolerably so. I can still play but only with barely reasonable fps at the lowest WoW settings. Im anxious to take advantage of the upgraded graphics for WoW so I will most likely be purchasing my DS rig now instead of waiting until the end of a month for the possibility of a slightly better deal. I know if I dont order now Ill be disappointed that I dont have the new DS rig up and running for launch. Thanks Meller!

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 5:54pm
Can anyone recommend a good 24" monitor for less than $300 to go with this config? I'd like to place my order now but am conflicted as to whether I should add one of the 24" Asus monitors or pick one up somewhere else. Thanks!
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 8:03pm
I know a lot of folks recommend this monitor: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-VG248QE/23454553
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2014 at 9:02pm
That monitor that she recommended is here at newegg for $10 cheaper than Walmart and it has a $20 off coupon you can use to save a total of $30 in savings + free shipping.

VG248QE

You can find some nice Korean 27" 1440p monitors for right around $300 too. QNIX is actually makes some amazing monitors, for their price.

Edited by Meller - 03 Nov 2014 at 9:03pm
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
128GB DDR4 3600mhz

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 8:48am
Thanks! I picked up the VG248QE last night.

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Nov 2014 at 9:14am
Incidentally, I was also going to purchase the rig last night and it appears I missed the boat on the Halloween promotion. Unfortunately, I think that means I'll be waiting until the end of the month to make the purchase in order to take advantage of the promotion running at that time. Thanks all for your help and here's to waiting patiently for the next three weeks!
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 2:39pm

Incidentally, I was also going to purchase the rig last night and it appears I missed the boat on the Halloween promotion. Unfortunately, I think that means I'll be waiting until the end of the month to make the purchase in order to take advantage of the promotion running at that time. Thanks all for your help and here's to waiting patiently for the next three weeks!

I would keep an eye on their homepage for new deals popping up.
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 3:08pm
Some credit cards offer price matching for a certain period of time. You should take a look at what benefits your credit card(s) offer. But be mindful of the fine print.

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2014 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by danjw1

I would keep an eye on their homepage for new deals popping up.

Absolutely - Im checking daily. If a promotion pops up that is similar/equivalent to the recent Halloween promotion I'll take advantage of it immediately.

While Im waiting, is it worthwhile to make a small upgrade from the DS 16GB 1866MHz memory to the Corsair Vengeance Pro equivalent?
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 7:44am

While Im waiting, is it worthwhile to make a small upgrade from the DS 16GB 1866MHz memory to the Corsair Vengeance Pro equivalent?

DS uses a variety of brands of memory, but the ones they use are all high quality brands. The main reason to go with a particular model would be to lock in the timings. For a gaming rig, I don't think that minor variances in timings between brands is going to make a perceivable difference.

Edited by danjw1 - 06 Nov 2014 at 7:45am

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by danjw1

DS uses a variety of brands of memory, but the ones they use are all high quality brands. The main reason to go with a particular model would be to lock in the timings. For a gaming rig, I don't think that minor variances in timings between brands is going to make a perceivable difference.

10-4 I'll keep it as is.

Thanks danjw1!

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Nov 2014 at 6:17pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The overclocked 970ACX card will give you a few frames per second better performance over the reference card.  It will dump more heat into the case, being the dual fan, but shouldn't be a problem in either case.  If you meant the Graphics Boost, I wouldn't.  The 970 ACX has it already.   If you get the reference card with single fan, I would just leave it as is. 

Out of simple curiosity since i intend to keep the overclocked 970ACX card, will it run noticeably louder than the reference card? Also, I read a reply to another post regarding coil whine with the GTX970. Is this an issue that I should be concerned about or is it uncommon?

Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2014 at 3:39am
Coil whine has been around forever, and not just the graphics card.     Some have it and find it annoying and some don't even hear it. Depends on your sensitivity. Completely random.

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 5:44am
Woo hoo! Black November deals posted this morning so I'll be placing my order shortly! Christmas is in November this year!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 6:52am
Awesome

Edited by bprat22 - 10 Nov 2014 at 6:52am

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 9:23am
Quick mobo question before I purchase - would the sabertooth hold a distinct advantage over the gryphon?
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 9:31am
Sabertooth is a full size ATX MoBo with two additional PCIe 2.0 x1 slots and a higher quality audio processor. If the chassis has the space, I would opt for the Sabertooth.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 9:51am
 pretty much got it. It allows for more expansion in the future if you are looking at that route. Going with the Gryphon will allow you to go with smaller chassis if you don't plan on adding too many expansion cards such as capture or RAID cards.

Edited by Nav - 10 Nov 2014 at 9:52am

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 9:54am
Thank you both - my desire is to make the system I purchase to be as amenable to upgrading for as long as I possibly can. I'll change to the Sabertooth and submit the order.

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:08am
Just submitted my order woo hoo!

Final build is 1091705

Now I count the days until it makes it across the country to VA! Thanks again for all of the terrific advice and config help!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2014 at 10:17am
That's a nice rig. Strong

Congrats and stay busy. Hahaha   The waiting is tough.  

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 10:19am
Stage 3!

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 3:08pm
The overclocked 970ACX is out of stock with no current ETA. Is there a compelling reason to wait for it or is the single fan reference card ok?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 4:04pm
Most will disagree, but my preference has always been the reference single fan cards. It is only a few fps less,and less heat into the case. I say, why wait.

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Nov 2014 at 4:40pm

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2014 at 7:11pm
While Id like to have the ACX, I don't think the unknown wait time is worth it to me at this point. I'd like to get my rig as soon as possible so Im willing to give up a few fps to get it sooner rather than later. Here I come stage 6! Thanks!

Quote jpforensic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2014 at 6:18am
I received my new rig yesterday and its outstanding!

I'll post a review with pics under the proper forum topic.
 Post Reply Post Reply