FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Adding a Compatible SSD to Vanquish LvL 4

Post Date: 2014-11-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChaosProdigy View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Adding a Compatible SSD to Vanquish LvL 4
    Posted: 22 Nov 2014 at 4:27pm
Any advice how to find a compatible SSD for my Vanquish LVL 4? My understanding is I have extra bays for expansion

Would this SSD fit? I have no experience putting stuff in the PC so i wonder how hard would be to add this ?

"Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive CT240M500SSD1"

Edited by ChaosProdigy - 22 Nov 2014 at 4:30pm
Vanquish II Level 4
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:35am
Hi Chaos.... That drive should work fine. Just make sure you have an unused Sata port on your mobo.   Mount the drive, hook a Sata power connector from the power supply and run a SAta data cable from SSD to the mobo.   If it's your new primary OS drive, then disconnect the others and boot with the WIndows disc and install. Reboot so Windows knows what drive is primary, turn off, reconnect the other drives.    If it's a data disc, you might have to go into Disc management and right click it's box, Initialize and then Format.

Good luck.   
ChaosProdigy View Drop Down

Quote ChaosProdigy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 7:14am
That sounds too complicated for me since I've never opened up a PC or changed anything in it- i was hoping i can just open the side panel and slide the new sSD into a open slot sort of like a Super Nintendo game cartridge. I guess a external hard drive would work for now since it was going to be a data storage ( i have alot of movies and music)

Thank you for the detailed reply
Vanquish II Level 4
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 8:11am
Yeah, external USB would work great for data.

Have fun.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Nov 2014 at 1:16am
Originally posted by ChaosProdigy

That sounds too complicated for me since I've never opened up a PC or changed anything in it- i was hoping i can just open the side panel and slide the new sSD into a open slot sort of like a Super Nintendo game cartridge. I guess a external hard drive would work for now since it was going to be a data storage ( i have alot of movies and music)

Thank you for the detailed reply

Hi ChaosProdigy....  I really hope you're enjoying your Vanquish, it's a great machine.

I understand that you're not comfortable taking apart the case and whatnot, but with the Vanquish it is very simple and very necessary to remove the sides and clean out the various and sundry fans and filters (including the PSU fan under the back of the case).  The mesh on the front fans has to be cleaned periodically to keep the machine cool.

There are a number of pics here on this website, and a number of videos showing just how easy it is (Look under Corsair 230T on YouTube) to open the case with the 2 thumbscrews.

I would highly recommend getting familiar with the insides of your machine, if for no other reason, to help it live longer.

Cheers. Big%20Smile
scarymike View Drop Down

Quote scarymike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 7:32am
I just added a Crucial MX100 512GB SATA 2.5" 7mm to my Vanquish II level 4 yesterday.

(Note: I'm talking about the newer vanquish II level 4 with the Asus Z97P motherboard)

1. There is 1 available 6GB esata port. Note that the motherboard has them in in weird locations, so it took me a while to figure out where it was.
2. The biggest issue I had was getting power to it. The way the 1TB drive sits and the SSD sits, the power cable wouldn't reach. I basically had to snip all the wire bindings and re-run all the SATA power in order to find a configuration that would work. I wish I would have just purchased a SATA power splitter when I bought the drive. That would have saved a ton of headache.

Anyhow, its working great. I just thought I'd post this so people can have an easier time than me.

Tl;dr: When you buy your SSD, also buy an esata cable, and a SATA power splitter.

Edited by scarymike - 02 Dec 2014 at 12:07pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 7:54am
Nice and thanks for the feedback.  Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply