FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Add vs Replace SSD

Post Date: 2014-05-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Jimmin View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jimmin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Add vs Replace SSD
    Posted: 28 May 2014 at 4:35pm
I have an Intel 320 Series 120GB SSD which I have outgrown. I'd like to take the simplest path to more SSD storage and I don't want to take much (if any) of a performance hit.

Question: Can I add a larger capacity SSD to my system - thereby using the current one plus the new one - or do I need to swap out of the old one and replace it with higher capacity SSD?

Current PC specs:
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz DS Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair TX850 V2 (Dual SLI Compatible)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Thanks in advance.
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 May 2014 at 10:57pm
My understanding is that few games actually benefit from being on an SSD, and most of the contents of the user library files do not need to be on an SSD. If you have space on an HDD or two you should be able to move most of your game files and user library files to the HDD leaving mostly system files and some user configuration files on the SSD. Your performance should be pretty much the same and may even improve a little.

You may also wish to look for old dump files that are taking up space but are not needed for helping the vendor solve problems with their product. Temp files that programs fail to clean up and delete can build up over time and waste a lot of storage space. Logs files can also grow to incredible size if they are not trimmed occasionally.

If you already have your game files and user files on HDDs and have cleaned up all of the temp files, old dump files and maybe even trimmed the log files and you are still running out of space on your SSD, then you are probably ready for a larger drive.

I imagine some of the more experienced hardware fans will suggest the best solution of either adding a second SSD or replacing your present one for a larger capacity SSD.

Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
 Post Reply Post Reply