A potential build

Post Date: 2007-12-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cronedog View Drop Down
  Quote cronedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: A potential build
    Posted: 02 Dec 2007 at 11:26pm
I want to get a gaming machine for about 1700 dollars and think now will be a great time (the 8800GT is awesome, and the new phenoms coming soon aren't).

I would love some advice, here are my thoughts.

digital storm twister lite ticket number 98975

question, does the 650i board support 1330MHz FSB?  What is the difference between the 650i and the 680i?

question2, how good will a sound card do me?  I have a 5.1 setup, which I enjoy, but it isn't an expensive set.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2007 at 11:50pm
Not bad, just a couple of things.

1. Digital Storm won't overclock a CPU with stock cooling. You'll have to at least select stage 2 air cooling before requesting an overclock.

2. A soundcard of any sort will improve the audio quality of your system. You may not be able to tell the difference between an X-FI and the cheaper card on an inexpensive speaker set when it comes to identical audio content (the additional content available with an X-FI is another matter), but you will see an improvement over onboard sound. Having said that, onboard isn't horrible for gaming.

3. Yes, the 650i will be able to support a 1333 MHz FSB. The 680i is rated for higher RAM speeds (which is not to say you can't get the higher RAM speeds to work on a 650i board, they are just not garanteed to work by EVGA/NVidia), it is an SLI board, it has some extra USB connections, a post speaker (which is both nice, and annoying at the same time), and  post LED indicator (which is *very* nice when trying to adjust clock settings). The 680i also offers a very robust selection of settings for overclocking which means that it is one of the best choices available in the configuration screen if you are looking for a good overclock of your CPU.
 Post Reply Post Reply