FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

$1200 Gaming Laptop, Advice wanted.

Post Date: 2012-04-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Petti the Yeti View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Petti the Yeti Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: $1200 Gaming Laptop, Advice wanted.
    Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 4:37pm
I have a ton of experience with gaming desktops, but little experience and even less optimism about a gaming laptop. Everything I have ever heard about a gaming laptop has been less than impressive, but I think it is time to wade into the waters anyways..

Budget: $1200, maybe up to $1700 if I HAVE to push it.

Expectations: Better performance than my current desktop (3.2GHz OC'd C2Q, 8GB Ram, GTX 465), Last up to 3 years as a semi-desktop replacement with some portability.

Usage: Playing various games such as Skyrim, Diablo 3, CSS/CSGO, Grid, League of Legends, EVE, etc. Also watching movies/tv shows/Netflix, forum lurking and ebay, etc.

Special Needs: I will be deploying to Afghanistan later this year for up to 12 months, so even though it will be used primarily as a desktop replacement, I am worried about long term dust and dirt abuse, summer temperatures and cooling, and general rough handling through transport overseas.

I've been looking at several different companies and models including Alienware m14x, Sager NP6165, MSI Force 16F2, and the DSO X15. So far, the Sager and DSO are looking to be the best quality per Benjamin out there.

Some of my questions of the DSO system are:

- How is the cooling on the X15 system, both at idle, and under load? I already intend on updgrading to the IC Diamond compound, so feedback with this in mind is more important

- Is the performance of the level 1 i5 processor reasonable in comparison to a C2Q, or will I need to bump up to the level 2 i7?

- What kind of troubles are shadowing the SSD's these days? I would like the extra durability of the SSD, and compromising the space wouldn't be an issue with a 2TB network drive, but the last I heard of them, most were having firmware issues that bricked the drives within several months. Anyone with experience here?

- The screens don't matter terribly to me, as I will ideally have my system running to an external monitor, mouse, and keyboard the majority of the time, but is the matte screen option with enhanced color gamut worth the extra cash in comparison to the standard glossy screen, for those times I would be on the move? eg; Would dust/dirt/scratches/etc show up more on one than the other? Is the picture quality noticeably better on one than the other?

That's all I have for now. I will post back with more questions as they come.
 Post Reply Post Reply