FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

<$5000 rig to use w/ 27inch iMac monitor

Post Date: 2012-01-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
spiralofdivinity View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: <$5000 rig to use w/ 27inch iMac monitor
    Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 9:12am
Budget:
Up to $5000

Expectations:
I want an incredibly fast system that has a top end processor and enough GPU capacity to run most performance intensive games on maxed out settings. I'm willing to drop the cash, and it's been a long time since I spent good money on a well made, well designed, beefy pc rig (went down the Mac route a while back haha).

Usage:
I'm primarily going to be using the computer for video work/visual effects/3d rendering and playing fps games and other gpu intensive games.

Special Needs:
IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION: I will be using the system in conjunction with my 27inch iMac which is an i5. The GPU I select NEEDS to be able support displayport so I can hook it up to my iMac's display.

Specifications:
I am really open to anything here. I've heard going with the new sandybridge-e would be the best choice, others say it's better to go with other intel cpus and overclock them. Since I am going to be working primarily on visual effect work and cpu intensive programs such as maya, nuke, after effects, 3dsmax, boujou, should I consider going down the Xeon route?

Thanks everyone. This seems to be an amazing community with a lot of knowledgeable members, so I'm excited to see the advice ya'll have to give. Cheers!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:17am
Since you need all the power you can get I would go with x79 and 3960x or 3930k.

Now what is the res you gonna want to be gaming at?

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 5:12am
Originally posted by DST4ME

Since you need all the power you can get I would go with x79 and 3960x or 3930k.

Now what is the res you gonna want to be gaming at?

Thanks for the response! I was thinking about going for the 3930k and getting it overclocked by digital storm. Would the 3960x be that much of a performance increase/future proof investment in gaming and video work?

In terms of gaming resolution, whatever the best I can do on a 27 inch monitor I guess. Any recommendations for GPUs, going SLI or even checking out the Radeons? I would like the GPU to support CUDA so I can use it to boost performance in Adobe products.

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 7:35am
Really could do with some advice guys. I've been trying to buy a pc for the past 6 months and I just want to do it already and get back to my world of animation :P
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:10pm
Hi spiralofdivinity,

Please be patient. You are posting at early morning hours and you need to wait for the configuration guys to show up. Are you overseas?

We need to know more about your iMAC 27" monitor. Is it the new Thunderbolt Display or is it an older model. The Thunderbolt has a 2560 x 1440 resolution. I think the older model was something different. You need to do some research and let us know the resolution of your monitor. Just because your monitor has displayport doesn't mean it has the 2560 x 1440 resolution. You also need to know if your display port is 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3. I think 1.2 is the standard for monitors in 2011. You may have to go ATI/AMD to get a GPU with displayport. Its a shame that we are being pushed into displayport so manufactures can get away from royalties on DVi and HDMI. If you get a GPU with DVi you will have to use a conversion cable to connect. Then the 1.1 or 1.2 may be important.

What ever CPU you go with you should get the stage 2 OC from DS. CPU power will be important for your use.

Frank
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 1:14am
We can't tell you what you need without knowing your res.

you always want to run your monitor at its native res, so tell us the native res please.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 4:44pm
We can config you a system now but keep in mind gpu wise there are new gpus coming from nvidia in april that are suppose to be a good amount better then what we would recommend to you know, so you want to wait or shall we go to config?

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 9:32pm
Thank you guys for your responses. I'm located in Los Angeles.
I have the 2009 iMac 27 inch so the resolution is 2560 by 1440 pixels. Not sure if its displayport 1.2 or 1.3. But it is the first 2009 model without the thunderbolt, so what do you guys suggestion?
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:30pm
Hi spiralofdivinity,

Your 2009 IMac 27" has a mini-display port and you will need a mini-display port to DVI adapter cord for Nvidia cards. There are 3rd party cords available. At first there was lots of problems but they should be ironed out by now. I saw a lot of people with problems and others with no problem at all. You need to spend some time on an IMac forum and find out the correct adapter cord to buy.

Or, you can go with the AMD/ATI 6800/6900 GPUs that come with Display Port support. I don't know if the out put is mini-display port or standard display port. The 1.2 display port specs weren't approved until 2010 so I assume you have a 1.1 mini-display port on your 2009 IMac. Although it was later in 2009 that the 27" was available so maybe it has 1.2. The difference between 1.1 and 1.2 is the bandwidth is double in the 1.2 and 1.1 doesn't support multi-stream signals. I also don't know if 1.2 is backward compatible to 1.1. You need to find out what issue of display port you have.

So you need to do some studying. I am not a Mac guy so not much help. If it was me I would go with AMD unless there are Nvidia cards with display port outputs. The display port to DVI adapter cord might give you problems. Remember that DVI doesn't support sound. That may impact your setup??

As DST4ME stated the Nvidia is due in April and I would bet they will support display port. The Quadro cards from Nvidia does have display port. If you are going to be heavy in graphics you might want to consider the Quadro GPU. I looked back at your first post and the Quadro is probably over kill for your use. So wait for the new Nvidia or go with AMD/ATI.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 20 Jan 2012 at 11:48pm

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 11:50am
Super helpful Frank!

So I think the GTX590 has a display port, and some variaties of the 580 have it too. I could definitely go the SLI route and buy one right now. Is the new nVidia worth waiting for? I'm guessing the performance increase is going to be marginal in comparison, especially when compared with dual 580s or 590s in SLI.

I'll do some research on Mac forums about the right adapter. Hopefully getting a GPU that supports displayport will solve the whole problem and I wont have to deal with DVI to Displayport conversions.

What do you guys think about Xeon's vs the new Sandybridge-E?

I'll post a config for critique tonight.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 2:07pm
I see that the GTX590 has mini-display port but that is not as good of a card as the GTX580. Two GTX580s will out perform one GTX590. The 590 has two detuned cardes in one case and heat is a problem. That is why they detune it. Two GTX590 are quad SLI and not very desirable. Tri-SLI 580s will out perform quad SLI590s. With a 590 if one half of the card fails you have to replace the whole card. With SLI 580s if one fails you only replace the failed card. You can play with one 580 while you are waiting for the new card to arrive. I would strongly suggest you don't go with the GTX590.

Frank

Here is a suggested build that you can work with.

Configuration: 646365 Cost: $4388

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

1. I used the 3930K CPU and you can go to the 3960X but it is another $500. The CPU speed of both will be the same but the 3960X has 3Mb more cache memory. You would really have to push the CPU for the cache to make any difference.

2. I gave you 16Gb of memory. You don't need that for gaming but it might help with your video work.

3. I used the X79 Deluxe Mobo. It is a good MoBo but there is a problem going on right now. It will be resolved by the time you order.

4. I bumped up the SSD to a 160 just because you have the budget. The Intel 320 series is what you want.

5. I used the AMD 7970 3GB. It has mini-display port and should hook up directly to your IMac 27".

6. I put in the 1200 watt power supply so you are good to go if you wanted tri SLI in the future. If you know for sure you will never go Tri SLI then go with the 1050 power supply.

Edited by FrankW - 22 Jan 2012 at 9:34am

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 5:42pm
The Radeon 7970 really does look nice. Especially in SLI. And i'm guessing it should be compatible with whatever displayport version my mac has.

I wonder if it will ever be compatible with Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 for GPU rendering support. nVidia does have the CUDA advantage in that respect. I'm really looking for boosted workflow in terms of editing, so I hope my GPU will adequately fulfill my gaming needs but also speed up my compositing workflow.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 9:16pm
So you don't want to wait for the 670/680 to come out and go with those?

The build Frank has is great but the missed something, he meant to tell you to get the corsair 1200w psu, instead he accidentally picked the DS 1200w, so make sure you go with the corsair if you are looking for tri sli ability.

Edited by DST4ME - 21 Jan 2012 at 9:18pm

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:40am
Duly noted DST4ME. Thanks!

Would STILL love to know about your guys thoughs on Xeons vs Sandybridge-E!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:35am
Hi DST4ME,

Thanks for catching that. I just plain missed it. All fixed.

Frank
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:49am
spiralofdivinity, if you are thinking Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 for GPU rendering then maybe a Quadro is the way to go. They have display port and Adobe suggests them for GPU rendering. I don't have any experience with Quadros so don't know if you need it or not. I also don't know how well they game. They are a lot of money for gaming.

Frank
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by spiralofdivinity

Duly noted DST4ME. Thanks!

Would STILL love to know about your guys thoughs on Xeons vs Sandybridge-E!

E can endup better or even k due to higher oc then the xeon, at the end of the day if the clocks are the same, and chips are from same family the difference is very little if any, unless one chip has more cores and the apps you use utilize the extra cores then obviously the 8 core wins over the 6 core.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Jan 2012 at 11:06pm

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:13am
Three specific questions:

1) Guys I'm deliberating getting 160GB SDDs in Raid 0 to get 320gb of storage and faster performance from my OS and main apps. Worth going the RAID route for vfx, editing and gaming purposes?

2) There's this very interesting adapter on the market that allows me to connect any DVI card to the 27 inch at it's native resolution. I wonder if there is any degradation in image quality? Should I go down this route and go for Dual GTX 580 3GB's instead of the tri 570 as in the spec below.
Link: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered.html
3) 32GB of ram for video and 3d work. Worth it? Or is 16GB more than sufficient for the time to come.

Here's the config as it stands now:
(TICKET NUMBER: 648893)
Specifications:
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s) <b></b>
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series) <b></b>
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series) <b></b>
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) <b></b>
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E 802.11n Up to 300Mbps (Supports 802.11n/g/b) (Model: ASUS PCE-N15) <b></b>
Video Card: 3x SLI Triple (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA 025-P3-1579-BR) <b></b>
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only <b></b>
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <b></b>
Enhancements: Scythe Kaze Master Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade) (KM01-BK) <b></b>
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard) <b></b>
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability <b></b>
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <b></b>
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition) <b></b>

As you can see, I added the liquid to my the config also. I also bumped the overclock all the way. Good move?

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Atlona Dual Link DVI to Mini DispalyPort Converter

Edited by spiralofdivinity - 28 Jan 2012 at 1:07am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 12:38pm
1. if you have need for 32GB then go for it, we are not sure how much ram you need for your work, you would know that better then us.

2. you don't use ssd for storage, and you don't want storage stuff on teh same drive as os/apps/games, unless you really want to throw money away, storage does not need ssd speeds.

3. cooling, you don't need lc but if you gonna get it go stage 4 lc and ask them to use XSPC "RX" series rad with Scythe gentle typhoon fans on them, this will give you better performance with practically no noise.

Scythe Kaze Master Temperature Display & Fan Controller is a waste, won't controller all your fans (if any in this case) and its temps readings are not correct.

oc on gpu and os boost are a waste you will see no gains from them.

your config will not work, you can't have tri sli with a 800w psu, and even if you could I would never recommend that psu.

you also can't fit tri sli and everything else you chose on that mobo, and the deluxe comes with wireless itself anyways.

frank made you a config, stick to that, you are not gonna be able to beat it.

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 11:34pm

1. if you have need for 32GB then go for it, we are not sure how much ram you need for your work, you would know that better then us.

2. you don't use ssd for storage, and you don't want storage stuff on teh same drive as os/apps/games, unless you really want to throw money away, storage does not need ssd speeds.

3. cooling, you don't need lc but if you gonna get it go stage 4 lc and ask them to use XSPC "RX" series rad with Scythe gentle typhoon fans on them, this will give you better performance with practically no noise.

Scythe Kaze Master Temperature Display & Fan Controller is a waste, won't controller all your fans (if any in this case) and its temps readings are not correct.

oc on gpu and os boost are a waste you will see no gains from them.

your config will not work, you can't have tri sli with a 800w psu, and even if you could I would never recommend that psu.

you also can't fit tri sli and everything else you chose on that mobo, and the deluxe comes with wireless itself anyways.

frank made you a config, stick to that, you are not gonna be able to beat it.

1. Good point. Thanks!

2. So you think 128 GB is sufficient for just OS/APPS? Would two ssds in Raid 0 add any additional performance than a single SSD?

3. Done!

Ahh my bad on the PSU, overlooked it and changed it on the config but not this post.

I basically mirrored Franks config, I'm gonna drop the wireless card, controller and it should be the same.

Also, is the FrostChill Cooling System worth it for OCing purposes, if I am willing to spend the money.

HOWEVER, he only thing that remains in GTX 570s in tri sli vs two GTX 580s or two Radeon HD 7970s. Since there is a full DVI to minidisplay port adaptor (79$ ugh but still), I can basically choose the best card for me from a performance/gaming standpoint and have hook up to my 27 inch iMac at native res. So what do you guys recommend? I should have space for the tri sli if I ditch the wireless controller.

Thanks a lot DST4ME! Really appreciate the help :)

Edited by spiralofdivinity - 28 Jan 2012 at 11:37pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2012 at 11:38pm
2. raid raised your large file speeds only.

on deluxe you should be able to do tri sli, however best money/performance should be sli 680 in april, but of course thats just my best guess.

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:05pm
Final Configuration guys! I would love to get any final critiques or a stamp of approval :)

I added the LC and will ask for the custom XSPC "RX" series rad with Scythe gentle typhoon fans on them as suggested.

Will I need to ask for the haf 200mm non led fan or a vcore lower then 1.4 for your oc as advocated on these forums with my rig?

CHEERS!

Total Price: $5,173.00
Direct Load URL: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=652379

Specifications:
Motherboard: ASUS P9X79 DELUXE (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 1600Mhz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series (CMPSU-1200AX) (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (300GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB) <b></b>
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color:Red Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) <b></b>
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red) <b></b>
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Edited by spiralofdivinity - 06 Feb 2012 at 7:06pm
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 7:11pm
Looks good, I approve!

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by Zieno

Looks good, I approve!

Thanks Zieno! Any thoughs on the crossfire 7970's vs SLI GTX580's? Thats the one thing I can't really decide haha.
Zieno View Drop Down

Quote Zieno Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 9:02pm
two 7970's stomp over 580's, they are overpriced though. If i were you i would wait until the 600 series, but if you need it now, then 7970's should serve you well.

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by Zieno

two 7970's stomp over 580's, they are overpriced though. If i were you i would wait until the 600 series, but if you need it now, then 7970's should serve you well.

Thanks! I think I'm going to go for it.

Last Doubt: Any idea if I need to ask for the haf 200mm non led fan or a vcore lower then 1.4 for your oc as advocated on these forums with my rig? I'm not sure if it applies to my rig and just wanted to be sure.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 2:39pm
Yes, you definitely want to ask for the additional haf-x fan as well as a vcore under 1.4, these two things are going to remain a constant regardless of your specific configuration and usage.

Congrats on your soon to be purchase! Awesome
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 3:01pm
Yep, what Tidgxor said Big%20Smile

What a rigAwesome

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Congrats on your soon to be purchase! Awesome

Thanks Tidgxor! BTW, I was looking at your rig's specs and I was wondering how you liked the dual SSDs in Raid 0? I am honestly considering replacing the 300gb ssd and doing a 160 + 160 in raid 0.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 5:26am
Hi spiralofdivinity,

In my opinion you couldn't make a bigger mistake with your SSD drives. With Raid O the computer writes data across both drives. If you have one drive fail the second drive only has fragmented data. So you lose everything you have stored. I am guessing you have never had a SSD before and don't realize how much faster the the SSD is over a fast HDD.

Frank

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 10:22am

Hey DST4ME and other knowledgeable members! My Digital Storm order is being processed! HOWEVER, the Typhoon fans have been discontinued. Should I substitute this fan or just stick to stage 4 lc without the fan?

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 11:19am
Originally posted by spiralofdivinity

Hey DST4ME and other knowledgeable members! My Digital Storm order is being processed! HOWEVER, the Typhoon fans have been discontinued. Should I substitute this fan or just stick to stage 4 lc without the fan?

I got call from a very polite gentleman at Digital Storm, he says they'll be using a zalman fan instead of the discontinued typhoon. Hope this is kosher?

Other than that, OMG I'M SO EXCITED TO GET MY MACHINE! It's in Stage 4: (Engineering Lab) and has just passed Phase 1 of the stress test! Looking forward to doing a review with pictures :D

Quote spiralofdivinity Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Feb 2012 at 6:33pm
Hey everyone,

Thanks to the awesome members of this forum I've spec'd and ordered my dream machine from DD last monday. I decided to throw down for the priority build, and even though it's almost been well over the advertised 4, my machine is now in Stage 6 (Quality Assurance).

However, two issues have come up:
1) They can't seem to give me a vcore lower than 1.4. DD can give me 1.408 with stability. Is that fine? or should I keep a lower than 1.4 vcore irrespective?

2) They say they may need to switch out the 1200W Corsair Pro Gold for the 1500W Silverstone, since the 1200W was not enough for stability. loll is that really possible with my rig? I guess I don't mind getting the 1500W, but i'm just a little surprised and also wanted to know if it's a good PSU.

Quite frankly, I don't mind since this is a matter of quality but I can't help but get a little buyers remorse cuz I'm feeling like the extra money for the priority build wasn't worth it. I wanted to get others perspective on it.. that would help :). lol but I'm still very excited for my machine!

Let me know guys! Cheers.

Edited by spiralofdivinity - 21 Feb 2012 at 6:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply