Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Changes to ODE line of PCs
    Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 1:00pm

I wanted to let everyone know, we have made some updates to our ODE line of gaming PCs. The ODE Level 4 has been removed in order for us to feature the ODE Level 0 which starts at $1,199. In addition, we have updated the ODE Level 2 configuration from (2x SLI GTX 560 -> 1x GTX 580) and the SSD from (80GB -> 120GB).

I hope these changes make our ODE line more affordable and attractive to gamers that are looking for an awesome PC at an amazing value.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 2:12pm
Well glad you got rid of ode 4, that was pointless but there is no reason to have single 580 IMHO, it has nothing to offer over single 570.

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Sep 2011 at 2:13pm
sdwas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdwas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:19pm
The changes looks great. Is the ODE 0 going be available for priority service like the other ODE builds? Or is it going to remain a build as ordered system? The reason I ask is that all the other ODE systems have the priority service as part of the configuration, but the ODE 0 does not.

I should add that I've been loving my ODE 0. It is absolutely perfect for my needs.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 3:44pm
The ODE 0 will not have a priority service due to it's aggressive pricing, it may change later once we have enough built ahead of time.

The GTX 580 addition is due to popular demand.
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:37pm
very cool alex!

edit- im glad you found a spot for a 2500k to get the price down. If the comp is a pure gaming machine the 2500k is a great choice and an area to save some cash on.

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 16 Sep 2011 at 4:41pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:55pm
I agree!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 4:55pm
I agree!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 5:32pm
For todays gaming yes I can't say I agree that the 2500K will be good for gaming in a year or two as more games are coming out supporting multi core/thread.

not to mention it won't let you take advantage of win7's support for ht.

but if you are on a budget and that is all you can spend, it is a great deal for the performance it offers today

Edited by DST4ME - 16 Sep 2011 at 5:34pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 8:30am
Two months now, since ODE#0's launch, and still loving mine. 

For the budget minded and for very good gaming at  1900 res on a 23" monitor, it is tough to beat. 
coolmasta View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote coolmasta Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 11:02am
The 580 is a wonderful card. I really really love mine. I think that ODE 3 looks really nice with the changes.

Edited by coolmasta - 17 Sep 2011 at 11:04am
I7 2600k @ 4.5 Ghz, Noctua D14
8 Gigs Corsair 1600
HAF 922
Evga Gtx 580
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

For todays gaming yes I can't say I agree that the 2500K will be good for gaming in a year or two as more games are coming out supporting multi core/thread.
[/IMG]

if ur strickly comparing it to the 2600k this is some what valid but in reality even in a few years most people will still have inferior CPU's even compared to a 2500k and be okay playing games.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:16pm
But now unlike before we are moving toward multi core and thread support, that will make a good difference in the future whether you have ht or not. so yes everybody will still play their games but the ones with 2600k will have better performance over the 2500k.

You have to remember the cpu still needs to run the pc before it runs the game, aka anti virus and etc, try putting your current anti virus on your 3 year old pc and tell me how fast it seems comparing to how fast it was when you got it and the av of that time, in short apps and etc themselves are getting more demanding, and you have that stuff running in the background when gaming, in 3 year the 2600k will have more power to run av and games then the 2500k due to ht.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 10:32pm

But now unlike before we are moving toward multi core and thread support, that will make a good difference in the future whether you have ht or not. so yes everybody will still play their games but the ones with 2600k will have better performance over the 2500k.

You have to remember the cpu still needs to run the pc before it runs the game, aka anti virus and etc, try putting your current anti virus on your 3 year old pc and tell me how fast it seems comparing to how fast it was when you got it and the av of that time, in short apps and etc themselves are getting more demanding, and you have that stuff running in the background when gaming, in 3 year the 2600k will have more power to run av and games then the 2500k due to ht.

I agree 100% that's why I always make my cpu more powerful than the gpu.
Steam:pcmaster160
Bensonc120 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bensonc120 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 4:20pm
Have the SSD been changed as well?  I seem to remember before that the ODE used the Intel SSD but the new versions come with the Corsair SSD.
Thermaltake Core
Intel Core i5-10400
MSI Z490
Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3200mhz
Samsung M.2 SSD EVO 970 1TB
Asus ROG Strix 1080 Ti
Asus PG278QR Monitor
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:01pm
Yes they changed it to corsair unfortunately for better speeds, but I would get a c300 or m4 or intel 320 before I got the corsair, the corsair has the Sandforce controller, check out Corsair support forum and see how many people are having issues.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Sep 2011 at 5:05pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 5:21pm
Obviously the ODE series will change from time to time and that should be expected. Dropping the Level 4 was a good move. I think Changing the SSD to a Corsair is a mistake and makes the ODE 3 not as desirable as it was before. Even if DS makes more money with the Corsair the Intel was icing on the cake. Now we have just plain cake.

Frank
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 3:31pm
There's a misconception, the Corsair Force GT drives are very good and fast drives. They are faster than Intel's SSDs. Yes, they don't have a 5 year warranty, but, that doesn't mean they fail after their warranty is over. This is Corsair's 3rd or 4th revision of SSDs which gets better and better every time.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:05pm
Alex the gt model is faster yes but it has the same controller as vertex 3, which means its performance reliability is crap like vertex 3.

when it comes to reliability it does not come close to intel 320.

intel put 5 year warranty on the 320 only, the reason is because of its reliability. You don't see a 5 year warranty on other ssds including intel's own 510 because they don't have the same reliability.

if you wanted faster drives then intel then you should have gone with c300 or m4.

Edited by DST4ME - 20 Sep 2011 at 7:05pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 12:07am

Alex the gt model is faster yes but it has the same controller as vertex 3, which means its performance reliability is crap like vertex 3.

when it comes to reliability it does not come close to intel 320.

intel put 5 year warranty on the 320 only, the reason is because of its reliability. You don't see a 5 year warranty on other ssds including intel's own 510 because they don't have the same reliability.

if you wanted faster drives then intel then you should have gone with c300 or m4.

i havnt really payed much attention to the corsair line of ssd's but does it work off the same principle of if your only dealing with highly compressible data is when youll see the rated max transfer speeds like the vertex 3? If this is true a M4 with the latest firmware that added a ton of performance would be a better option in my opinion.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 12:13am

I'm going to ask Corsair to help with a response to help clear things up.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Sep 2011 at 2:24am
with all due respect Alex, I expect ford to tell me their car is best and corsair to say the same, if you want to keep it fair, bring a rep from corsair and one from crucial and then lets here what they have to say.

where is dragoon when you need him, lol he is our ssd guru.
Chi-TownTx View Drop Down

Quote Chi-TownTx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Alex

I wanted to let everyone know, we have made some updates to our ODE line of gaming PCs. The ODE Level 4 has been removed in order for us to feature the ODE Level 0 which starts at $1,199. In addition, we have updated the ODE Level 2 configuration from (2x SLI GTX 560 -> 1x GTX 580) and the SSD from (80GB -> 120GB).

I hope these changes make our ODE line more affordable and attractive to gamers that are looking for an awesome PC at an amazing value.

Damn !!! lol.

First time poster and kinda stumbled upon your site by accident of all things a couple weeks back. Loved the ODE reviews from people and loved the old line up.

Gotta say while the new builds are good i am kind of sad to see the loss of SLI on all the systems except the Ultimate. In particular the ODE Level 2 being changed from 2x SLI GTX 560 to a single GTX 580. I know the 580 is beast and the upgraded SSD is nice but overall i just had a better feel for the old Level 2 system compared to the new.

Planned on picking up a Level 2 in late October/early November but now tbh i am not sure. I have no doubt that you guys make great rigs at a great value. However i just can't help but to feel the switch with the level 2 is kind of a downgrade at this point.

Anyway as a would be future buyer i guess what i am trying to say is i am very confused on the changes to these systems.

Edited by Chi-TownTx - 22 Sep 2011 at 3:04pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 3:15pm

@Chi-TownTx,

When you're ready to order, email me directly: [email protected] and I'll hook you up with the older ODE Level 2 configuration.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 3:26pm
Alex Awesome
Talk about customer service.Big%20Smile  Way to go.

The lack of sli capability in new ODE 2 was sure to be a problem for some. 
Jawa View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jawa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 4:29pm
+10 to Alex and DS for consistent and great customer service.Awesome
Proud owner of an ODE-3 (version 1).
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Sep 2011 at 4:33pm
Thank you guys. Big%20Smile
Chi-TownTx View Drop Down

Quote Chi-TownTx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 5:09pm
Wow, cool man thanks for the reply.

Been using the same comp company for 9 years now (buy a new one every 2) but their service has finally gone up shiznit creek without a paddle as they have grown into what they are now.

Current comp is only a year old and i already want to burn it. Ya, it came out that bad (don't get me started).

Was really surprised by the quick reply and even more so with the offer for the older setup. Thanks allot and you will be getting my order for sure in the coming month.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2011 at 5:11pm
Cheers! Big%20Smile
Yellowbeard View Drop Down

Quote Yellowbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 5:51pm
Hi all, Mike Clements here from Corsair, aka Yellowbeard. I just wanted to chime in on the concerns about our SSDs.

Anyone that can read and use Google can find that yes, the newest SandForce based SSDs have had some initial growing pains. But, we've sorted a great deal of these with a firmware update. Additionally, the remaining problems are very isolated. But, of course this appears worse than it is if you look only at support forum traffic. That's because it's a support forum and you will typically find a higher percentage of users there visiting because they have an issue of some sort.

The most important thing to remember is that Digital Storm is not simply tossing an untested product into their machines. We work closely with SIs that choose Corsair to make sure that they have 100% compatibility and great tech support from us. You won't have anything to worry about using a Corsair / SandForce based SSD in a rig you buy from them.
Corsair Employee
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:11pm
Hi Yellowbeard,

Thanks for taking the time to post. When can we expect a 5 year warranty on your SSD?

Frank
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:15pm
If you want a 5 year warranty the 320 is only one.

when you say "But, we've sorted a great deal of these with a firmware update" you mean the user has to do the firmware update and then reinstall windows?

also looking at your forum I still see people have issues with the the firmware. http://forum.corsair.com/v3/forumdisplay.php?f=206

if we have nothing to worry about with the ssd why don't you put a 5 year warranty on it?

Originally posted by Yellowbeard

You won't have anything to worry about using a Corsair / SandForce based SSD

I know lot of sandforce ssd owners with the same sandforce controller that will disagree.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Sep 2011 at 6:17pm

Quote Yellowbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:35pm
The drives that DS is getting have the updated firmware. If for some reason, an user gets on older firmware (highly unlikely) it is manually updateable and is designed to non destructive to the data. So, no reinstallation should be needed.

And yes, of course there are people in a support forum posting with issues. As already stated, that's the nature of a support forum. One thing you will notice is that there are no Digital Storm users there. As also stated, DS is sending out hardware that has been tested for compatibility.

As for the warranty, I have no control over that. Ask me in 3 years after you have one of our drives for that long if this is an issue.
Corsair Employee
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 6:42pm
I thank you for your time, but you are pretty much promising the future which is kinda impossible, and as I said I know lot of sandforce ssd owners with the same sandforce controller that will disagree.

How come on the corsair forum some users are asked to reinstall windows with the 1.3 firmware? I understand you don't need to reinstall but seems like there are cases where it does need to be done.

Edited by DST4ME - 28 Sep 2011 at 6:43pm

Quote Yellowbeard Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:04pm
I'm not sure what you mean by "promising the future". I'm not speaking in a futuristic tense when I state that DS has tested (note the past tense) our drives and deemed them suitable to sell in their systems.

If you have a support inquiry, please inquire at our forum or with DS's tech support. It's way beyond the scope of my participation here.
Corsair Employee
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2011 at 7:28pm
I'm going to lock this thread because there's no point of dragging out this conversation. The drives are solid, and we stand by them, they're are excellent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>