Post Date: 2011-10-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ghostplyr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ghostplyr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Your Thoughts
    Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 1:03pm
I have built so many machines the past cpl of weeks my head is spinning. I orginally started on Alienware site since my past machines were dell xps - no complaints there but I can't say Im feeling good about them(Alienware) - so I started searching reviews and forums for a diff company and DS seems like a great place to consider. My budget would be about $2500 - $3000 - anymore and my wife might shoot me :). I am unsure about the new graphics cards - the sli option - is that a way to future proof your system? I dont want to say I am a hc gamer but Im not casual either. I play most days but I dont do marathons anymore since being married and u know...age - lol. I currently play warhammer online and starcraft II. However, I am so burnt out on those I wanted a machine that would play bf3 and swtor with nice settings. I dont need ultra but I still want to compete nicely. Dont think my 9800gt card - 3.0 duo is up to the task. This machine is about 3.5 yrs old. I would like to get about 4 yrs out of the new pc. I really dont do much on my machines expect the usual surfing and gaming. Can someone give me ideas or point me in a direction that would allow me to enjoy these new and upcoming games and yet still be furture proof for others like GW2?
My knowledge is average so your help would be much appreciated - thx ghost!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 6:21pm
There is no such thing as future proofing, you would be as future proof in the future as you would be now if you had sli 9800gt or even sli 275.

the only way to come close to something like future proof would be to allow yourself options for future upgrades, what I mean by that is get a system that gives you what you need now but support more gpus if needed in teh future. or if you have max gpus you need now then upgrade the sli in 2 to 3 years.

thats the problem with dell and hp and etc is that their pcs are not really upgradeable, which is why we come here, everything you get here is the same as if we went to the store to build you the pc ourselves, so we can easily change/upgrades parts with these pcs.

the difference here between me building you one and DS building you one, is just that, the builder is different, all parts are retail and pretty much the same.

Now to tell you what you need, I need to know how much power you need, and to know that I need to know the native resolution of the monitor you gonna be gaming at.
ghostplyr View Drop Down

Quote ghostplyr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 8:39pm

Thanks for your reply DST4ME!

I will be upgrading to hd 1080 screen - dont see myself worrying about higher then that. I dont plan on using mutliple monitors either.

Thanks for the help - ghost.
ghostplyr View Drop Down

Quote ghostplyr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:01pm

Tinkering around and came up with this - 608526. Any thoughts?

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2011 at 9:02pm
Here you go Ticket# 608533 --- $2,951 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB (PhysX) (EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the top, so you endup with 4 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

all you need to do with that is upgrade the sli in 2 or 3 years and the pc will feel like a new pc in gaming.
Aka View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Aka Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:11pm
prolly dont need the 2.5 versions of the 570 do u at 1080 res?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Oct 2011 at 8:18pm
its like $50 more and he keeps his gpus for a long time so they may help him out a bit.
 Post Reply Post Reply