FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your suggestions on a config welcome

Post Date: 2008-04-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jyduchene View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jyduchene Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Your suggestions on a config welcome
    Posted: 03 Apr 2008 at 9:27pm
I have been studying the configerator since jan. I have made many selections. I am now close enough in the saving of funds to make final decisions. However the more I read the more unsure I become. Here are my specs.

$2500 for the computer, I will buy keyboard mouse, speakers and monitor from various vendors. I plan on a Dell ultrasharp 2408 monitor.

I primarly will be gaming with Flight sim type games IL2, FSX and other flight games. I also intend to run racing sims rFactor and GTR 2.

I will also be editing my RAW nikon camera files using photoshop elements and perhaps nikon Capture nx.

Lastly surfing the net.

So this is the purpose of my maching and my purpose. What of the many DS choices would you put togther. Lastly I am going to run Window XP.

I will upgrade to the next operating system at the next computer upgrade and yes this build will be upgraded down the road as I don't see another purchase soon this will take me into retirement.

Thanks for you replies. John
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 12:19am
$2500 can be a challenging price bracket, but if you go straight for the best "bang for the buck" in every component, you will have a killer system.

My take on it is this:

$2459

John Cordero View Drop Down
  Quote John Cordero Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 2:13am
One caution. Check with Dell to make sure their monitor will properly connect to a DigitalStorm computer. I understand that Dell monitors have a special connector that might present a problem.
John View Drop Down
  Quote John Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2008 at 5:54pm
Thanks for your caution re. the monitor from Dell. this is what the web site says re. connectivity.

VGA (Analog), DVI-D (Digital) with HDCP, S-Video, Composite, Component, HDMI, DisplayPort

This is on sale now. Does it meet what I will need from Digital Storm. I have heard that many monitors don't take well to VGA. What is the current High tech connection?

Thanks, John
chris View Drop Down
  Quote chris Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 5:53pm
I'm concerned also now. I just ordered a DS pc and dell 27 inch monitor.

Is there anything to this?

chris
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 7:03pm
The DVI/VGA connection on the back of your card is a standard connector for standard cables that come with the monitor (blue/white cable tips).  I don't recall Dell having any proprietary cables for DVI/AVG that wouldn't work with GPUs.  If you still feel cautious, then call Dell and ask. 

Edited by EdH63 - 05 Apr 2008 at 7:05pm
jyduchene View Drop Down

Quote jyduchene Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 7:31pm
Chris, Let us know how this works out. John
 Post Reply Post Reply