FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Yorkfield or Nehalem?

Post Date: 2008-04-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bostonian View Drop Down
  Quote Bostonian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Yorkfield or Nehalem?
    Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 9:04pm
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a rig built here & was wondering what you folks think?

Will Intel's Nehalem be worth the wait? Or...would money be better spent on a QX9770?

I don't plan on overclocking any as I want this rig to last as long as possible. (It, like my previous rigs will become 'hand-me-downs')
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 10:59pm
I had the same question, I'm waiting for nehalem.
Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2008 at 11:55pm
I think if your current computer does everything you need it to, you should wait. If not, buy now.

In my mind, all electronics are basically rentals. They are obsolete before you even started your research on them, as the manufacturer already has something in the planning stages or maybe even in pre-production before they so much as make a press release on that "new" item you're thinking of buying. This is true no matter how long you hold off on purchase.

With that in mind, no matter how good a new product is, you couldn't get me to upgrade my computer if it was still doing everything I wanted it to, and to my full satisfaction. You also couldn't get me to hold off for the promise of something better in the future if the need to replace my current machine was there, because frankly, there is *always* something better right around the corner.
workingman View Drop Down

Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 9:43am
GOT MY CONFIGURATION ...BUT I TOO HAVE DECIDED TO WAIT FOR WHATS NEXT..RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER..IF QUAD CORE IS CLOSE TO BEING OLD NEWS ALREADY..I CAN WAIT TILL Q4 THIS YR TO SEE WHAT COMES UP

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 10:31am
I'm not sure I can agree that a unified 45nm quad core with a shared L3 cache will make "quad cores obsolete". Eight cores I have heard, yes, but for this is intended for servers to the best of my knowledge. Let's hope that Intel does not run into the same TLB bug that AMD did, because to me, the Bloomfield design looks very much like a Phenom.

Edit: For those waiting on the 32nm fab process and 8 cores, that is *late* 2009 by best estimates.

Edited by Tyler Lowe - 18 Apr 2008 at 10:52am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 11:59am
the only 8 core intel has coming out is for servers and as tyler said its for servers, as far as I know they won't run in a workstation or desktop
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 12:55pm
Intel isn't that stupid. I can guarantee you that at least one of their extreme chips will be octo core.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Apr 2008 at 1:09pm
I'll certainly be watching the launch of the Bloomfield processors with great interest. Everything I've seen so far has indicated that only a quad core version will be forthcoming for desktop systems in 2008, with an octo core follow up in 2009 (which I assume will be 4x2, similar to the way current quads are 2x2 now). But you may be right Sky. If you happen across any articles pointing to a desktop octo core at launch, please link.
 Post Reply Post Reply