WoW Configuration Question

Post Date: 2010-03-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: WoW Configuration Question
    Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 1:51pm
Greetings MMORPG Forum!

I have often wondered what kind of system requirements I would need to run WoW at its optimal level. Some of the Digital Storm computers seemed a bit of an overkill, but I am considering buying one to replace my old, broken computer. I want to be able to run WoW at max graphics settings with a smooth and relatively uninterrupted gameplay. What system or components would you recommend that I purchase to achieve this graphical level of gameplay?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 8:35pm
What resolution are you playing at?

If you want to play with maxed Graphics at 2560x1600 I'd go with a 5870, at 1920x1200 you should be fine with a 5850.  Note that in extreme cases you may still lag, Wintergrasp will probably pull your FPS below 30 if you get around 200 people around you, Dalaran around peek times could do the same. 
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 5:27pm
Alright, I understand that the graphics card's performance is directly related to the monitor resolution. But what about the rest of the computer? Will multi-threading remain uneffective and unusued by the game? Doesn't the game demand more from the CPU than the GPU?
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" - Issac Asimov, from his novel 'Foundation.'
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 6:40pm
WoW was patched as a multi-threaded application a few years ago, you should be able to tell a fairly substantial difference between one and two cores.  I don't have a quad core processor so I can't really give any information on that.  Digital Storm really doesn't offer non quad core processors anyhow though. 

At the resolutions I've mentioned a higher quality CPU and GPU are both necessary, I suppose you could say the game is more CPU based though.

I would go with something like this:

Ticket Number: 391829 - $1963

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF 932
Exterior Finish: - Not Available
Trim Accents: - Not Available
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Digital Storm Certified (Dual SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Set 1 Raid Options: - Not Available
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5850 1GB
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Cooler Master V8 High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Available
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - Not Available
Chassis Mods: - Not Available
Noise Reduction: - Not Available
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: - Not Available
Boost Memory: - Not Available
Boost OS: - Not Available
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Virus Protection: - Not Available
Office: - Not Available
Benchmarking: - Not Available
Install/Test Game: - Not Available
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty

Exsidium View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 8:21pm
That system will scream on wow.   I'd recommend paying a little more for the corsair psu.  Not that the DS aren't good quality, just that the corsair is higher quality.  keep in mind the front fan LED on that case is red unless you ask DS to change it.
Herniter View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Herniter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Exsidium

That system will scream on wow.   I'd recommend paying a little more for the corsair psu.  Not that the DS aren't good quality, just that the corsair is higher quality.  keep in mind the front fan LED on that case is red unless you ask DS to change it.
'

I agree, forgot to make it the Corsair 750w, for ~14$ it's well worth it. 
Diogones View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Diogones Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 9:21pm
Thank you for submitting a very specific build, Herniter. It definitely helped me to get a sense of the sort of hardware that is needed to really run WoW at max speed with processing power to spare.

Edited by Diogones - 30 Mar 2010 at 5:21pm
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 10:44pm
that build is great, just keep in mind even though wow is a older game.  The expansions are quite a bit more demanding also keep in mind if your going to be doing high level raiding with alot of things happening on screen youll need a high end computer to keep things near max
debourer View Drop Down

Quote debourer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 6:42pm
do you really need to drop 2 grand on a computer to run WoW efficently though?
Muggz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Muggz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2010 at 11:17pm
What is your definition of efficiently?
Medium settings, Medium Resolution is fine for game play, you probably need a $800 comp for that(not off this site, just newegg parts)

Or efficiently could mean every setting to ultra on a high resolution. It's all in perspective.
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote al3xLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 11:41am
That build is good for WoW on ultra (for now?). however I do recommend you get an SSD and a second storage HDD, as it is "the way forward". A SSD will help you start up WoW faster and load instances faster too. IMO it's a must have.

PS best SSD is Intel's, don't get any other ;)
Mr. View Drop Down

Quote Mr. Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 5:09pm
Get an nvidia, dont go for the 5850, the 460 or 470 will suit you better. and plus ATI 6xxx is coming out in a few months. 
Mr.
al3xLJ View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote al3xLJ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 6:19am
Originally posted by al3xLJ

That build is good for WoW on ultra (for now?). however I do recommend you get an SSD and a second storage HDD, as it is "the way forward". A SSD will help you start up WoW faster and load instances faster too. IMO it's a must have.

PS best SSD is Intel's, don't get any other ;)
Actually not sure about the loading of instances :P

EDIT: fixed typo

Edited by al3xLJ - 30 Aug 2010 at 6:21am
sirstumps View Drop Down

Quote sirstumps Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 2:52am
Yeah im thinking about getting a laptop so I can play WOW, but im not sure what to put in it. I know a desktop would be better but I want to be able to take my rig places. If a laptop cant handle it then I will get a desktop, I just want to play WOW to its fullest. Im currently deployed int Afghan right now, so its going to be a few months before I actually get that PC. This is going to be my first custom built PC so please don't hate on me for lack of knowledge.
/L/
aCi11i3s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aCi11i3s Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 11:09am

People...WoW is a game that I love and play daily.  BUT, it is not a game that is stressed by my DS machine.  A fast internet connection and great peripherals are more important than a great benchmark machine with this game.  Take a run through the Barrens, as the graphics are archaic at best.  If you are only playing WoW, then a great internet connection, and a kick @ss keyboard and mouse setup, is all you'll need to pair up with an average machine.  Hope to see ya there.

Edited by aCi11i3s - 11 Sep 2010 at 11:10am
sirstumps View Drop Down

Quote sirstumps Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Sep 2010 at 12:39am
Yeah but my machine is about 7 years old and cant really handle the stress anymore, I want a machine that loads everything I throw at it, I want an over kill machine......my wife says I cant get a laptop for gaming :( so I guess im going with a desktop. Should be able to get one that can run wow easily.
/L/
RiceEatin2000GT View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote RiceEatin2000GT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 1:28pm
trying doing a high level instance with 10+ people on screen with a ton of animations and effects going and tell me how ur 800$ computer does

Edited by RiceEatin2000GT - 05 Oct 2010 at 1:28pm
Najja View Drop Down

Quote Najja Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Jun 2011 at 9:32am
With shadows set to low, AA and AF set to minimums I can run 25 man raids with the rest of the settings turned to max without any noticeable stuttering. That being said the game does look nicer if you can turn up those things slightly.Oh almost forgot this is on a 5870.
Freynar View Drop Down

Quote Freynar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 12:38am
Hey guys, have you guys down loaded wow then hit play and nothing happens? program never opens, I was wondering if there is a fix to this?

Freynar
Enjoy the madness!
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2011 at 3:27pm
Hi Diogones,

The ODE-2 is a much better system than what was suggested by Herniter. It is $36 more but way more powerful. Just about everything about the ODE-2 is better.

If you want a comparable system to the Herniter suggestion look at the ODE-1 and save over $400 with a better processor and video card.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 24 Aug 2011 at 3:28pm
HAF 922
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DS Certified
Corsair 750TX
HDD-1TB
Optical Drv
ATI Radeon 5870
Glendon View Drop Down

Quote Glendon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by sirstumps

Yeah but my machine is about 7 years old and cant really handle the stress anymore, I want a machine that loads everything I throw at it, I want an over kill machine......my wife says I cant get a laptop for gaming :( so I guess im going with a desktop. Should be able to get one that can run wow easily.

Your wife is right. I got the portable and no issue with gaming thought exactly as you did when I purchased my laptop, which is an Asus G73, at time it was bragging about that it’s the laptop for gamers, and after playing WOW on it for one year, I want to make it clear that if you do want your performance unaffected by the hardware, don't get a laptop for WOW. The main issue with the laptop on gaming is always the cooling, ordinary laptop is a nightmare, and the so called gamer’s laptop is better though, still gonna get your performance wrecked if you raid a lot. Say while you are in a 25-man raid, your cpu is going to heat up very quickly, and the longer you play, the worse it will be, with both your cpu and gpu getting hotter and hotter, your image is no longer smooth enough for you to perform in full capability. Right now the madness of deathwing in Dragon Soul LFR is really a pain in the ass for meOops, an extreme instance: my image will literally freeze for 20s when the deathwing’s head is falling down to the last platform. And that’s why I’m so desperate waiting my rig to be shipped.

But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.
wisepoiboi View Drop Down

Quote wisepoiboi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 4:29am
Originally posted by RiceEatin2000GT

trying doing a high level instance with 10+ people on screen with a ton of animations and effects going and tell me how ur 800$ computer does

I've actually been able to play wow quite well with a computer i built for my old GF for about $900 it may have not been on max settings but i was still able to raid 25mans with no issues.
 Post Reply Post Reply