Post Date: 2011-12-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Deadboltt View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Deadboltt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: WoW Cataclysm
    Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 10:43pm
  Hi, my names Chris and I'm new to DS and a couple of my friends convinced me to go back to playing World of Warcraft cataclysm and I was wondering what kind of computer I need or should buy to run that game with max frames on ultra no problem.  Ultra isn't necessary but you get the point.

I only see myself playing this game and maybe star wars a shot but at least for WoW I don't know much about computers and could use some advice! Thanks!!

jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 11:15pm
WoW has always been on the low end in terms of hardware requirements in order to max out settings with excellent frame rates. The biggest thing that will affect your hardware requirements is the resolution of the monitor you will be playing on.

Even for WoW there is a big difference between playing at 1680x1050 compared to something like 2560x1440. The larger the resolution the more/better hardware is required to support it.

For example my 22" monitor has a resolution of 1680x1050. I have a custom system but in terms of CPU and GPU my system is equal to an ODE Lvl 1. My GPU has more RAM but for WoW that does not matter as it won't max it out. I play with Ultra settings with no issues.

The only time my frame rate drops to where I can notice it is sitting outside the main AH in Orgrimar. But that's to be expected even on rigs better then mine as the lag in places like that is more a server issue then a graphics issue as the server and your game client struggle to try and keep track of hundreds of players at once. Hundreds of players moving around, casting random useless spells, the movement and actions of their mounts and pets. It's a lot for any server or system to process.

Any where else in the game, at any time, even in Raids, I sit at a solid 60fps with V-Sync enabled. WoW does not even begin to tax my system. So long story short, once we know what resolution you play at we can recommend what hardware you need.

Edited by jmaster299 - 20 Dec 2011 at 11:18pm

Deadboltt View Drop Down

Quote Deadboltt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 11:31pm
Thanks for the reply! I'll try to be more specific.

I mainly only do pvp and arenas which is why the frame rate issue is a big deal for me. I'm used to playing on the standard resolution the game defaults to you and never have gone above it when I played due to fps issues. Last time I played 60 frames was the max but It could have gone up.

Sorry I don't know the exact res but the ones you posted are high xD.I was thinking the ODE lvl 1, but again I don't know.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 12:27am
Well you really need to know what you resolution is. You can check it a number of different ways, either in the Nvidia Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center depending on if you have a Nvidia or ATI graphics card. Or you can right click your desktop to change your background settings and it will show your max res there too.

60fps is all you need unless you have a monitor that can support more. A game running at 100fps is pointless as your average monitor can't display that many frames and running those kinds of frame rates because you have V-Sync turned off can cause screen tearing. Sure it's nice to turn it off to see the max frame rates you can get but it's better to leave it on.

My res of 1680x1050 is really not that high. What most gamers would consider normal would be either 1920x1080 or 1900x1200 which are two very common resolutions for monitors between 22" and 24", which is the average size most gamers have. On average gamers will have larger monitors then non-gamers.

You always want to play at the native resolution of your monitor. Most games that don't automatically detect your resolution will have very poor default resolutions. Those default resolutions will typically be the minimum required to play the game and are usually something like 1024x768 that you'd find on an old 17" CRT monitor.

If the game does not automatically detect your monitors resolution you always want to change it to the correct one. If needed lower other graphics settings, especially things like shadows, bloom effects, AA and AF in order to achieve good frame rates. No matter what, playing at a resolution that is too small for your monitor will look worse then turning down other game settings.

I'm not sure why they are offering the ODE Lvl 2 with a GTX 580. The difference between the 570 and the 580 in most situations is less then 10fps. That system would be a better deal with a 570 but use better MOBO and HDD options instead of the 580. Make the secondary HDD the 1TB Caviar Black and use a MOBO that actually supports SLI.

Deadboltt View Drop Down

Quote Deadboltt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 1:37am
I haven't bought a monitor yet for the desktop. Any suggestions for a good one would be a big help.

Edited by Deadboltt - 24 Dec 2011 at 1:37am

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 10:09pm
Dell Ultrasharp 23", it's a little more expensive but it's the best quality monitor you can find.

Deadboltt View Drop Down

Quote Deadboltt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 8:48pm
My friend recommended me this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236100

what are the differences?
Deadboltt View Drop Down

Quote Deadboltt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 8:54pm
Posting this 1 for lolz http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/20/eizo-to-sell-36-inch-display-with-4k%C3%972k-resolution-for-36000/

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 10:03pm
The Dell UltraSharp monitors use an IPS panel, compared to almost all other monitors that use the old TN or TFT panels.The IPS panels provide a much better picture, in particular much more/better colors, and is in general a better quality picture. It costs a little more but it terms of looks it will produce a better looking image.

ironmb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 2:34pm
The only thing you really need for WOW to run well is a good CPU, you can have a 480 in it, or hell even a 8800 card and it will great if you have a good CPU. The ODE lvl 1 will run wow max settings no problem.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:31pm
WoW being CPU dependent is a misconception. The only thing that puts a heavy load on the CPU is processing network traffic and has nothing to do with the graphics of the game.

When you are in Org or Stormwind and you have 300+ players around you that's what puts a load on your CPU. Your computer is trying to process all the info being sent to it from the server regarding the position and actions of all those other players. You CPU also struggles sending all that same info back to the server regarding all of those players.

When you are in a Raid/Dungeon or Arena match, the places in game that really matter, the responsibility falls back on your GPU. This issue/topic has been long debated and falsely presented for years since WoW was new. Like all games your GPU processes the visual/graphics information for the game, not your CPU. A weak CPU only affects processing server information.

I even have some first hand experience with this. When I first started playing WoW I was using my old POS system with a Core2Duo 2.4GHz and a Nvidia 9800GT. I ran the game fine in all aspects and in every environment in game. Never had issues in Dalaran (this was pre Cata) with lag. That 9800GT gave out on me a couple years ago and until I got my DS system I was using that same computer but with a ATI 5670HD.

Just by switching to the 5670 my frame rates dropped significantly when previously I had been playing WoW for years with no issues. Yes there are parts of WoW that put a heavy load on your CPU, but the parts that matter will be handled by you GPU, just like every other game other there.

WoW has no special physics that would in any way put a load on the CPU in order to process. Physics processing is about the only other then that can get dumped on to your CPU in order to process.

ironmb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ironmb Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 3:43pm

Don't misinterpret jmaster's post, a GTX 580 will never go above 40% on WOW ever. My 2 gtx 580 3gb cards never even go over 20% when i played wow, and this was running just one card at the time.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 4:27pm
I'm not saying WoW is a graphics heavy game, but those graphics have little to nothing to do with the CPU. WoW is on the lower end in terms of graphics compared to current games but there were some advancements with Cata that if run at Ultra settings it will be more then some older or budget models can handle.

A 560 will max out WoW with no issues at all what so ever on any reasonably sized single monitor, 1920x1080 or below. You start getting into much bigger resolutions, especially multi-monitor set ups and even WoW will need better hardware. WoW has never used SLI correctly and can often run with better frame rates with SLI disabled.

I was simply trying to correct the false statement that WoW's graphics performance depends more on your CPU then your GPU. There are some poorly coded games out there that are massive CPU hogs when they don't need to be, GTA IV is a great example of that, but WoW's load on your CPU is directly related to network traffic and not the game graphics and that network traffic should not be an issue out side a major city or questing hub.

Yes an ODE1 will crush WoW, but again like any game that is very dependent on the resolution you are playing at. You try playing at something like 2560x1600 and a ODE1 will have issues even with WoW unless you significantly turn down the graphics options.

Deadboltt View Drop Down

Quote Deadboltt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 12:58pm
Is it ok for the ODE to sit on carpet floor? or will it like overheat or something? 
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 1:30pm
It's not good for any computer that sucks air inside the case from the bottom to sit on carpet, much less the floor in general.  The ideal place for a computer is really up high on a desk, or just elevated on some type of rack or stand.  The more dust you suck into the intakes, the dirtier the fans and heatsinks get.  The carpet really does magnify the issue because of the fibrous materials carpet is made from and the amount of dust (debris) it retains.  Mine sits on a hard wood floor simply because it's way too big to set on my desk.  I do, however clean it out once a week with a small electric air compressor.  I will say this, every week I blow out a stupid amount of dust from the interior of my case because of my positioning, but I haven't had any adverse reactions due to overheating because of it either.  A lot of what goes wrong with your computer can be attributed to how you maintain it and what you do with it.

I would recommend when gaming, and if your rig sits under your desk, that you pull the rig out from under the desk and place it in the open air.  This way your rig won't heat up as bad while it's pumping hard.  Keep in mind, while you're gaming, your GPU(s), CPUs and PSU are going to start to heat up, and that is going to cause your rig to turn into a small heater.  You will notice it, so keep it in open air while you game or your rig will BSOD and take a dump on you.    

Edited by EdH63 - 21 Jan 2012 at 1:35pm
Deadboltt View Drop Down

Quote Deadboltt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 8:04pm
First I'd like to say I'm really impressed with the ODE (lvl1) this thing has crushed WoW and is a lot better than i thought

Second, I'm going to try my best to maintain it and what not but I do live in a apt. with ground floor and there's simply no way to put it on a desk because it is so big and my desk is small. What kind of stand or something should i put under it? Also should i just leave it running or power it down every night or once a week? Thanks again for all the help.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:11am
No computer needs to be left on and unless you need it to be kept on all the time to do something like folding it should not be left on all night. Every electrical and mechanical piece/item/hardware in any product will wear out with use and a computer is no different. It's a complete myth that computers are in some way harmed due to power surges when you boot them up. It's just not true.

Me personally I turn my computer on when I get up in the morning and turn it off any time I know I will not be using it for at least a few hours. Like when I go to class at night for 6+ hours and at night when I go to sleep. For the best health of your system turn it off when it's not needed.

If you need your system on 24/7 to do something like folding at home it can be done but your parts are more likely to wear out faster then someone who shuts their system down when not in use. Fan bearings for CPU coolers, case fans or GPU fans will be the most likely culprits to die on your first or any other moving part.

As far as tower placement you need to have the system off the floor and in an open space as much as possible. I live in a small apartment too but there are ways to make it work. I have my monster sized HAF X sitting on an old TV stand. Check out this thread for some other tower placement ideas.

Najja View Drop Down

Quote Najja Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 3:21pm
You also have to consider what you're going to be doing in game. A lot of people will say "Oh X runs great when playing." however many times they're referring to a situation where they're out in a zone questing. My 8800GTS ran fine out in zones and during five mans. However it was a nightmare doing Twin Valks on 25 man, it would drop to a near unplayable 5 FPS.

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by Najja

You also have to consider what you're going to be doing in game. A lot of people will say "Oh X runs great when playing." however many times they're referring to a situation where they're out in a zone questing. My 8800GTS ran fine out in zones and during five mans. However it was a nightmare doing Twin Valks on 25 man, it would drop to a near unplayable 5 FPS.

That's when settings like Projected Textures and things come into play. You disable some of the eye candy and raids should not be a problem.

jdmaddison View Drop Down

Quote jdmaddison Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 7:25am
I have a new ASUS N55SF-DH71 laptop that falls far short on the intense graphics in Raid Finder 25-man raiding in Cataclysm, yielding a frame-rate of 4-8 fps despite an NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M graphics card and Intel Core i7-2670QM processor. Beta drivers and tweaks have perhaps helped a little bit, but it's not going to be my raiding machine.

I now have an opportunity to select a better desktop system now, but it absolutely must, repeat, must perform well on Warcraft raiding.

I'd welcome any advice anyone has to offer on this.

Thanks,
jdmaddison
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:28am
Hi jdmaddison,

A desktop is way, way better for gaming. If you are interested in a build you should go to the Configuration forum and ask for help. Make sure you tell us what resolution your monitor will be.

Frank
HAF 922
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DS Certified
Corsair 750TX
HDD-1TB
Optical Drv
ATI Radeon 5870
 Post Reply Post Reply