FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WoW and the GTX 295

Post Date: 2009-03-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Montaron View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Montaron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: WoW and the GTX 295
    Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 4:45pm
So i've been playing around with some ideas of what I want on my new computer. I play WoW a decent amount and I would like the machine to run it flawlessly which seems to be a challenge with SLI now a days. I have read a bunch of horror stories on the WoW tech forums. I know people wont go on the tech forums to tell everyone how great their SLI machine is working so i'm coming here to gather some information.

I have been thinking of getting the GTX 285 because it might work better with WoW as opposed to the GTX 295, but I have also heard some stories of where the 295 was working fine with WoW...it was one story so i'm not so convinced. So i'm still really not sure which card would be a better choice for me and I would like some input from the community.

So who is running a GTX 295 and not having any problems with WoW or if you are having problems with it, what are the issues?
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 4:53pm
I have the GTX295 and in populated areas such as Dalaran  and 25 mans  your  gonna drop FPS.  hopefully Nvidia will come out with some updated drivers that will help  cause you already know Blizz is not going to

Edited by Htoler - 07 Mar 2009 at 4:53pm
Montaron View Drop Down

Quote Montaron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 6:57pm
So do you drop FPS only in 25 mans and Dalaran? How low FPS are you getting?

Are you getting low FPS anywhere else? Low FPS is fairly normal in Dalaran because of how they set it up.
Sodius View Drop Down

Quote Sodius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 7:47pm
I have the 295 and I have never had a problem with WoW in any zone. I even 5 box on occasions with this machine with all graphics maxed and it runs flawlessly. I read stories about the 295 and WoW not getting along but I don't understand why my system and WoW get along just fine. So bottom line is you decide which you would like and go with that. Now for other games the 295 also works extremely well. I have yet to find one that didn't run at max. Crysis I run on enthusiat mode at 1920 x 1200 and it plays ok  and can be played to the finish. However at times it goes into slow mo for a second or two. Lower the res to 1680 x 1050 and the games a peach. Ermm

Edited by Sodius - 07 Mar 2009 at 7:57pm
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 7:53pm
well in Dalaran I have them drop to 32 or so depending on population  and 34/36 in 25 mans depending on the fight.   not sure  on how  Sodius  is able to run max settings and  stay at 60fps I do not even have things at max .
maybe his system is more powerful than mine. 
my system has the I7 940 OCed to 3.5  6 g of ram   so have no clue  how he is able to do it .  maybe  it  just weather you get lucky or not.  and maybe  its has to do with drivers  I just decided it was something I was gonna have to learn to live with FPS dropping off.
whatever way you decide  good luck

Edited by Htoler - 07 Mar 2009 at 7:59pm
Montaron View Drop Down

Quote Montaron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2009 at 9:38pm
Yeah its a tough decision to make seeing as how i've read a lot of bad things on it and don't really want to get a new machine and be stuck with something that doesn't work very well.

No one seems to know what is causing the problems...they just happen, weird. Anyhow, thanks for the info guys, still not sure what card I will go with but I will keep you guys posted.
Htoler View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Htoler Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2009 at 11:46am
you might as for advice in the hardware section  there are some on the forums that know a lot about all this hardware stuff,   and would be able to give better advice on which card is best 

so far as other games I play  the 295 seams to do just fine
MarkNY View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MarkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2009 at 12:34pm

I have tried a bunch of different cards and I have to say, that for running WoW at very high settings, the ATI 4870 X2 runs it WAY better than Nvidia SLI technology.  I run the game with everything maxed at 2560 x1600 and the only place it slows down is in Dalaran, where it is about 30 fps and slightly choppy.  Never had any problems with 25 mans etc.  I also think the overall color is better with ATI, but that's just my personal opinion.

White Aventum
3970X at 4.7Ghz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
16 GB 2400MHz Memory
2x Nvidia Classified 680 4GB
2x 240 GB Neutron SSD
1x 1 TB WD Caviar
Liquid Cooled CPU/GPU/Chipset
Kaleliar View Drop Down

Quote Kaleliar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2009 at 11:39am
I play WoW with a GTX 260 superclocked and it gets the "15 second blip" from what ive read it kills your FPS a bit too.  BLizzard blames that on the SVHOST doing to much in 64Bit. but i have 32 and 64 Bit and even in 32 my FPS is crappy when im not standing still. 
Rock: "We're sub-standard DPS. Nerf Paper, Scissors are fine."
Paper: "OMG, WTF, Scissors!"
Scissors: "Rock is OP and Paper are QQers. We need PvP buffs."
Montaron View Drop Down

Quote Montaron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2009 at 4:36pm
Hmm, yeah I have yet to hear anything really bad about the ATI cards and WoW. Most of the problem i'm assuming is the Nvidia drivers but I've never owned an ATI card before and i'm kind of partial to Nvidia for some reason lol.

I'm going to buy my rig in about 2 weeks time and i'll do some research on the ATI cards and see if I can get myself to go with the ATI 4870 X2.
Sentient AI View Drop Down

Quote Sentient AI Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2009 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Htoler

well in Dalaran I have them drop to 32 or so depending on population  and 34/36 in 25 mans depending on the fight.   not sure  on how  Sodius  is able to run max settings and  stay at 60fps I do not even have things at max .
maybe his system is more powerful than mine. 
my system has the I7 940 OCed to 3.5  6 g of ram   so have no clue  how he is able to do it .  maybe  it  just weather you get lucky or not.  and maybe  its has to do with drivers  I just decided it was something I was gonna have to learn to live with FPS dropping off.
whatever way you decide  good luck

there are many factors involved such as system (which spec-wise, yours seems to be great), ISP service, nic card, cables from modem/running into your house, the modem itself, tweaks on your OS & GPU, background processes running while you play (my firewall has a *game mode* that blocks any attempts at background programs from running while I play and resumes them once I'm done - most firewalls have this feature - some routers do too), time of day, server population, and your connection to the WoW server you play on.
mam1744 View Drop Down

Quote mam1744 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:10am

running 64 bit vista  3.0 gig quad core, 8 gigs of ram and 2 gtx 280's and wow locks up afer a min or 2 in sli... take it out of sli wow runs fine anyone have any issue  why wow .. doesnt like sli and any tweaks that can help ??

marc
it's better to be lucky then smart
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 8:27am
The biggest thing to remember is the 295 is just two 260's with an internal SLI. If all you do is play WoW and other games that don't even support SLI, you've waisting your money and you could have spend waaay less and just gotten a 260. So if raw power for single GPU gaming is what you want, go with a single GPU. Get a ATI 4890 or a GTX 275 or higher.

I'm partial to ATI, Montaron, and I can tell you I have zero problems with my 4870x2. The only FPS drops I ever get are latency and loading new info from the Bliz server; internet related. But if WoW is your main concern I'd say go with the new 4890.

And I agree with Sentient Al...People often forget that no matter what kind of monster gaming rig you have, you're only going to run as fast as the server sends you info. It's not your computer's fault that you're on a high population server based on the opposite side of the country and there's 2 billion people in Dalaran. And don't let time zones fool you; there are east coast time zone servers based in Cali and west coast servers based in Chicago. The server has to tell you something is there before your comp can actually display it and there's no shortage of things that can delay that.

Edited by Hammer - 07 May 2009 at 8:32am
"It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer."
Zurginator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Zurginator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by Hammer

The biggest thing to remember is the 295 is just two 260's with an internal SLI.

FAIL.

The 295 is 2 275's in SLI, not 2 260s.
samiosam View Drop Down

Quote samiosam Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 May 2009 at 5:47pm
I had the 295 for a week and was playing wow alot.  I get 60FPS all the time except Dalaran/25man.  When you go inside a building in Dalaran, you get 60FPS instantly.

After talking to some tech people, they said that wow doesn't utilize 295 since it is SLI which is not supported by wow.

Right now, I am using 280, and I see big differences between 295, and 280 while playing wow.  With 280, FPS drops to 35 while in Northwend, while you get constant 60 with 295.
Hammer View Drop Down

Quote Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:08am

295 Stats, per Overclockersclub:

Fabrication Process
 55 nm

Core Clock (texture and ROP units)

576 MHz

Shader Clock (Stream Processors)

1242 MHz

Memory Clock (Clock rate / Data

rate)
1000 MHz / 2000 MHz
Total Video Memory
1792 MB
Memory Interface
448-bit per GPU
Total Memory Bandwidth
224 GB/s
Processor Cores
ROP Units
Texture Filtering Units
Texture Filtering Rate
92.2 GigaTexels/sec
Connectors
2 x Dual-Link DVI-I
1 x HDMI
RAMDACs
400 MHz
Bus Technology
PCI Express 2.0
Form Factor
Dual Slot
Power Connectors
1 x 6-pin
1 x 8-pin
Max Board Power (TDP)
289 watts

275 Stats:

GPU
GTX 275
Fabrication Process
55 nm
Number of Transistors
1.4 Billion

Graphics Clock (Including dispatch, texture units, and ROP units)

633 MHz
Processor Clock (Processor Cores)
1,404 MHz
Processor Cores

Memory Clock (Clock rate / Data rate)

1,134 MHz / 2,268 MHz
Memory Interface
448 bit
Total Memory Bandwidth
127 GB/s
Memory Size
896 MB
ROPs
Texture Filtering Units
Texture Filtering Rate
50.6 GigaTexels/sec
HDCP Support
Yes
HDMI Support
Yes (Using DVI-to-HDMI adaptor)
Connectors
2 x Dual-Link DVI-I 1 x 7-pin HDTV Out
RAMDACs
400 MHz
Bus Technology
PCI Express 2.0
Form Factor
Dual Slot
Power Connectors
2 x 6-pin
Max Board Power
219 watts
GPU Thermal Threshold1
105 C

And finally the 260:

GPU
GTX 260
Fabrication Process
65 nm
Number of Transistors
1.4 Billion

Graphics Clock (Including dispatch, texture units, and ROP units)

576 MHz
Processor Clock (Processor Cores)
1,242 MHz
Processor Cores

Memory Clock (Clock rate / Data rate)

1,000 MHz / 2,000 MHz
Memory Interface
448 bit
Total Memory Bandwidth
111.9 GB/s
Memory Size
898 GB
ROPs
Texture Filtering Units
Texture Filtering Rate
40.3 GigaTexels/sec
HDCP Support
Yes
HDMI Support
Yes (Using DVI-to-HDMI adaptor)
Connectors
2 x Dual-Link DVI-I 1 x 7-pin HDTV Out
RAMDACs
400 MHz
Bus Technology
PCI Express 2.0
Form Factor
Dual Slot
Power Connectors
2 x 6-pin
Max Board Power
182 watts
GPU Thermal Threshold1
105° C

Simularities between the 295 and the 275 is the di size: 55nm which just means it's a smaller chip, procesor cores, the mem interface...and some lesser stats, but the 295 runs at the exact same clocks as the 260.

So in short, we're both right and both wrong. It's a 275 chip alright, but it's downclocked to 260 speeds; "I" call that a 260...but I'm not going to tell you that calling it a 275 is wrong either. When taken out of SLI mode it performs worse than a 275 due to downclocking and very slightly better than a 260 due to texture filtering and nummber of cores. Call it what you will, I'm just presenting facts. And yes, these are stock figures...I'm sure you can probably OC...or un-downclock the 295 to run at true 275 speeds...but that's niether here nor now. Ouch

Edited by Hammer - 08 May 2009 at 9:18am
"It is important to realize that any lock can be picked with a big enough hammer."
Zurginator View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Zurginator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 May 2009 at 4:11pm
I say 275 because the actual hardware is closer to 275 (Processing cores, VRAM, Texturing units, etc), not the more or less 'software' based clocks.
Montaron View Drop Down

Quote Montaron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 May 2009 at 7:32pm
I ended up going with the 295, and I have had the machine for about a month now. Everything is working great, no problems with FPS or anything like that really. I have a bit of lag in Stormwind around the canals but thats about it.

The only problem I have is that I can't play in windowed mode when I want to play 2 accounts at once which is annoying. As soon as I put it in windowed mode it crashes. This is a well known problem, it appears to be something with the Nvidia drivers I believe but oh well, i'll just stick to full screen and alt tab between them.

But overall, the 295 is working out great, no problems yet. Ouch
samiosam View Drop Down

Quote samiosam Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 May 2009 at 6:36am
My brother just bought an 800$ laptop and he is able to open 3 windowed WoW, he would be in the middle of boosting himself, and I would open the 3rd window to do my transmutations and stuff and everything is running fine.

The funny thing is that his laptop is Toshiba with 2GB of RAM and a 512 Video Card, I don't know what the rest of specs are :(
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 May 2009 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by samiosam

I had the 295 for a week and was playing wow alot.  I get 60FPS all the time except Dalaran/25man.  When you go inside a building in Dalaran, you get 60FPS instantly.

After talking to some tech people, they said that wow doesn't utilize 295 since it is SLI which is not supported by wow.

Right now, I am using 280, and I see big differences between 295, and 280 while playing wow.  With 280, FPS drops to 35 while in Northwend, while you get constant 60 with 295.

How do you guys know how many FPS you're getting. You have to have benchmark program I assume?
 Post Reply Post Reply