FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Would DS partition my HD for me during assembly?

Post Date: 2014-03-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Would DS partition my HD for me during assembly?
    Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:57pm
Firstly, is it a good idea to partition my HD (not the SSD with the OS) so that I can "fence off" certain large data files like video and data backups in say, a 300GB partition within a 1TB drive?  Or is it better practice to leave the HD un-partitioned and to use a portable HD for all backed up data?  I will be using a digital video editor (Sony Vegas 11; not yet sure whether to install that on the SSD or the HD) and that will generate large DV files.  Is it best practice just to throw them into a video folder on a HD or to create a partition?  Many thanks.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 7:59am
DS most likely would do the partition, though there would probably be an added fee that you would need to work out with them.

As for partitioning the HD, you aren't going to be gaining any added levels of data-loss security by having them all in their own partition, if that is what you are looking for. Partioning a drive makes more sense when there is an OS on it, where there is more chance for file-system damage that would require a drive wipe. Also, if there is some form of volatile software environment, having partition backups can be a nice way of setting up firewalls. However, even partitions won't save you from a general HD failure.

If these are very important files, you're still going to want to back them up on a separate drive, regardless of whether the primary HD is partitioned.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:05am
That makes a lot of sense. Tidgxor.  The OS will be on the SSD, not the 1TB HD.  I think I am going to take the secondary 500GB HD out of my present PC, get a case to convert it into an external drive, use that as the backup drive for the new PC and not worry about partitioning my new HD.  Thank you.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2014 at 8:29pm
Sounds like a good plan to me Strong
Calibrator View Drop Down

Quote Calibrator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2014 at 8:31pm
When I purchased my now 3+ year old DS computer I requested them to partition the C: drive during the build process.  When received, it was not partitioned.  Having it done was more of a convenience rather than a necessity.  I was okay with them not doing it.  I was kinda surprised they didn't acknowledge not doing it though.  I am now in the process of purchasing another DS computer with an SSD as the boot drive.  No need to partition with a 2TB secondary drive!  My 3+ year old DS computer has never failed me!  Zero defects or failures!  Don't look elsewhere for a custom PC builder!     
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2014 at 11:28am
@Bahger, we can definitely partition if it you would like to. I suggest making a special note on the actual configuration at the bottom on the configurator and also sending our team a message.

@Calibrator, I'm sorry about that. We usually are fairly good at taking care of requests but I'm not sure what happened. However if you need any other help, please feel free to contact us at any time. Thank you for your kind words and support!
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 8:00am
Alex, thank you. In the end I decided it would be more trouble that it would be worth. I have received the PC and am happy not to have the partition.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2014 at 9:27am
You're welcome. Hope you're enjoying your new PC!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2014 at 9:53am
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
 Post Reply Post Reply