Online Status: Offline
  Quote BrianK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Workstation computer needed
    Posted: 20 Jan 2015 at 10:32am
Budget:
$3,500-$4,000

Expectations:
Quiet and reliable operation

Usage:
3D CAD/modeling program that uses DirectX (instead of OpenGL)

Special Needs:

This computer is going to be for someone a little older, as a solid work system so he can do his AutoCAD drafting and 3D modeling (on Geomagic Design). So I'm primarily looking for quiet, trouble free operation.

Config: 1133878

I was primarily looking at a 6 core Slade chassis with a fair amount of memory. 32 gigs seems like a good starting point, and I can just upgrade later on when the price of higher capacity modules falls a bit.

As you'll see from the config, I'm putting together a couple SSDs in RAID 1 to run the OS off of, and then a couple standard HDs also in RAID 1 to hold data.

I don't know enough about the motherboard to know if the RAID controllers are decent enough to support all these drives in RAID 1. Also, I don't know if there's any additional boosting I should do for cooling. Lastly, I'm wondering if I should bump the video card down to the 970 instead of the 980 I have in there. Is there a significant boost in performance between the two?

Initially the computer will probably only be hooked to one display (he's pretty stubborn), but I might eventually want to hook it to a second display, for a dual display setup (probably with 24-27" monitors).
forrest74 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote forrest74 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jan 2015 at 9:26pm
BrianK:

Digital Storm has benchmarks for the various video cards right here in this forum.  Go to the Hardware Discussion forum, and one of the first threads is called Graphics Card Performance Benchmarks.  Click on the link in the first post as he keeps it updated. 

Looks to me like the 980 has around a 13% performance increase over the 970. 

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/unlocked/nvidia-and-amd-1080p-benchmarks-october-2014-idnum332/

michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 5:32am
Gaming benchmarks may not be a good guide to professional application performance

I am not knowledgable on autocad, but I have read that the pro cards, .e.g Quadro, have drivers optimized for pro applications. The problem is their cost. Pro cards are very pricey.

There might be some information on using cards like the 970/980 for Autocad

"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 9:41am
Hi BrianK,

Top of the line Workstations usually use a Xeon CPU and a Quadro GPU. I assume that your choices are budget driven. Your build looks good but for 3D modeling you may need a Quadro GPU as stated by michaeljhuman. Looking at your build I see you can add a Quadro K4000 that would put your system cost at $4171. I know that is over your budget but may be a good investment.

You may be able to save a little money by going with a single 512 SSD and buying a 3/4T WD Cloud external HDD. Use the WD Cloud for storage and back up. Not as neat as SSD in RAID but may get you under the $4000 mark with a Quadro K4000. Later on you could add a second 512 SSD in RAID.    

If I was buying a Workstation with specific application like 3D modeling I would be studying AutoCAD, Autodesk sites for their list of certified equipment. It all depends on your exact work application.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 24 Jan 2015 at 9:42am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jan 2015 at 9:53am
Hi BrianK,

I did want to comment on your choice of the EVO 512 SSD. The EVO has a problem with long term memory loss. Samsung came up with a software fix that requires you to keep rewriting the long term memory so it is always fresh. The fix requires time to run the software and with a large 512 SSD it may be a pain. The Samsung PRO series does not have this problem but does cost more. I suggest you research this problem so you don't have any surprises in the future.

You can read about the fix here.

I am not sure how often you have to run the software to fix degraded cells. It is possible all long term memory will forever have to be refreshed?

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 24 Jan 2015 at 9:56am
BrianK View Drop Down

Quote BrianK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:29am
Originally posted by michaeljhuman

Gaming benchmarks may not be a good guide to professional application performance

I am not knowledgable on autocad, but I have read that the pro cards, .e.g Quadro, have drivers optimized for pro applications. The problem is their cost. Pro cards are very pricey.

There might be some information on using cards like the 970/980 for Autocad

Normally you're right about the vid card. It just so happens, though, that the main software being used (Geomagic Design) takes advantage of more mainstream cards that use DirectX, instead of the more expensive Quadro type cards.

We use AutoCAD LT for basic quick drawings, but ultimately everything will be coming out of Geomagic Design. Other than those two programs, the primary use will be Project management, Microsoft Office, and internet browsing.
BrianK View Drop Down

Quote BrianK Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi BrianK,

I did want to comment on your choice of the EVO 512 SSD. The EVO has a problem with long term memory loss. Samsung came up with a software fix that requires you to keep rewriting the long term memory so it is always fresh. The fix requires time to run the software and with a large 512 SSD it may be a pain. The Samsung PRO series does not have this problem but does cost more. I suggest you research this problem so you don't have any surprises in the future.

You can read about the fix here.

I am not sure how often you have to run the software to fix degraded cells. It is possible all long term memory will forever have to be refreshed?

Frank

Thank you, I had no idea about that issue. I don't mind bumping up to the Pro to avoid having to deal with it. Overall I'm trying to use components that are going to make for a reasonably quick, but also stable and reliable system.
 Post Reply Post Reply