Windows 7 Problems on Laptop

Post Date: 2011-10-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Windows 7 Problems on Laptop
    Posted: 28 Oct 2011 at 10:42am
I hope you don't mind me asking a question about a problem I have encountered with a friend's laptop. I was asked to look at it because of a Windows 7 bootup problem.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron (Model 5010 I believe). The laptop boots up to the point where the Windows 7 background appears and there it just stops. No icons appear, no Start Menu, nothing. The mouse cursor moves but nothing happens by right or left clicking. Hitting Crtl-ESC at the same time does not bring up the Start Menu.

I have tried doing a repair by bringing up the startup menu. That works but once the repair is finished and it reboots the same thing happens. I have examined the BIOS and see nothing unusual there. I got the Win 7 disk provided by Dell and reset the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD. I then tried a repair from the Win 7 disk. Same thing. Finally, I just decided to try to reinstall from the Win 7 CD. It booted from the CD and I told it to install instead of repair. It asked for Language and I selected English and it continued. It then went to "Setup is Starting" on the screen and it has been that way for over an hour now with nothing happening.

At this point I have to conclude its a bad hard drive. Am I missing something? Could it be something else I have not thought of?

Thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 1:50am
set bios to default and see what happens, can you look at the logs?
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2011 at 8:15pm
Ok, I set the BIOS to default and it did not help. Still just booting to background. Impossible to view logs since all I can do is see and move the mouse around the background. No key stokes or clicking brings up anything. I should also mention at this point I did boot from a CD with MemTest 86+ on it and ran it for 3 hours or so and not a sigle error was found. Can't think of anything still but the hard drive or possible motherboard.
Johnvich View Drop Down

Quote Johnvich Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 2:32pm
Many a time, useless files, spyware and junk files find their way into your system even without you being aware of it. Salution is that you need to use Krojam Cleaner for Speed up your pc.
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2014 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Johnvich

Many a time, useless files, spyware and junk files find their way into your system even without you being aware of it. Salution is that you need to use Krojam Cleaner for Speed up your pc.

Such useless information since this topic was posted in 2011 and has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 26 Feb 2014 at 3:29pm
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12