FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Will BIOS update help?

Post Date: 2014-03-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
robertden View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote robertden Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Will BIOS update help?
    Posted: 02 Mar 2014 at 4:26pm
I bought my DS computer in October 2013 and there have been 3 BIOS updates since for the Asus Gryphon Z87.I have a Nvidia GTX 660Ti SLI configuration and in games sometimes I have a massive slowdown like a slideshow accompanied by a static tearing sound and sometimes CTD or reboot. I've tried many things and the only thing that seemed to help was raising the Power Target in Precisionx and setting the power option in Windows to Maximum Performance but still get occasional massive slowdowns. The Asus website says the BIOS update fixes "system stability" which is kind of nebulous. Usually that description(system stability) refers to RAM and I can't get a precise answer from Asus non-engineer support as to what they mean. Do you think a BIOS update would fix this slowdown in games caused by temporary low FPS??Any experience with this issue that was fixed by a BIOS update??
*No overheating and PSU is Corsair 750 watt and CPU is I7 4770K.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2014 at 10:16am
I don't mess with Bios, so really can't say it wouldn't help, but i would be surprised.

Have you enabled V-Sync.  It does stop a graphic card setup that gives you above 60 fps from tearing the screen when the card's input doesn't match the monitor's refresh rate, which is usually 60fps. 

V-Sync can be played with in the Nvidia Control Panel or for some games, within the game. 

Some games hate sli, so the performance issue could be sli, and disabling it for a certain game helps.

Not for the tearing but the performance, have you tried a different graphics card driver from GeForce.   CTD and reboot sounds like a driver issue .  

If the reboot and CTD is all the time with any game, i would try using just one 660ti at a time to check the cards out.   Same with ram sticks if that doesn't help.

Hope any of this helps. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 03 Mar 2014 at 10:19am
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2014 at 11:09am
BIOS updates won't really help unless they specifically say in the notes for the update that they increase performance with said hardware. Most bios updates are for stability, IE new hardware, or improvements for current hardware OC. As far as updates that would help fix gaming performance related to gpu's... that is purely driver driven. Fir step is to see if the games you're playing are more gpu dependent or cpu dependent. For example, WoW actually runs better on a faster cpu, than multiple GPU's.

Most issues with FPS drops are related to software though. Such as cleaning things up, ensuring you don't have resource heavy background applications running (Flash video in a browser is a big reason for drops in performance while gaming). While I usually keep my bios completely up to date, I don't recommend it for everyone unless it specifically addresses an issue you're having and is noted in the update notes for said bios update.

Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 9:56am
I agree with Meller. I have always understood that it is better not to mess with the BIOS doing upgrades unless you have a very specific issue which is addressed in a specific BIOS update. I bricked a router once doing a BIOS update even though I followed the instructions to the T.
Theokritos View Drop Down

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jun 2014 at 3:16pm
I too tend to avoid BIOS updates unless the update fixes a specific problem that I am experiencing and it is that last thing I can do before replacing the motherboard.
Velox
Cool and Quiet
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
32GB DDR5 5200MHz
Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 4:56pm
Use some type of overlay monitor also. Like xprecision has one, that let's you view GPU load, memory usage, voltages, temps, etc... Depending the resolution you're at, what all is going on, how many monitors your running... there are several things that could be happening. One of your GPU's isn't on par,perhaps a bad memory module. Maybe you're eating up all of your VRAM.

Does this happen with any game, or just one specific game. You can also just open up your case, and unhook the power from one of the GPU's and remove your sli bridge... then run your games to see if they work without SLI.

Not all games benefit from SLI at all. In fact, most of the time, a lot of games require a driver update to enable the sli profile for that game.

But yea... try that and see how it goes.

Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply