FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

who is going to buy the amd hexa core's?

Post Date: 2010-03-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: who is going to buy the amd hexa core's?
    Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 10:55am
so, we all know that the 6 cores from amd are going to be out very soon, who is going to buy it? for $$300 for the top of the line, it seems that my 300 price (quad is 200, so 50 a core, plus 2 cores = 300 bucks!!) quess worked out, and with this article saying how people cant afford even the core 2 and even some of amds dual core slutions, that the pentium is selling more then the i3/i5/i7 and there core 2 line!!!

source---http://blogs.zdnet.com/computers/?p=1557

now i really dont know if that site is trusted or not, but it seems logical. my friend had his psu blow up, frying a 955BE amd quad, 2 5770, 4 gigs of ram and the mobo, the only thing left was the cd drive and the hdd. he bought a althon and he is the average american worker.  so, back to my point, if your on this form, your looking for a 1500 plus rig, is anyone going to buy the hexa cores from amd??
or the quad 955/965 becasue there going to drop in price??

thanks, and what do you think about this pentium out selling the i5?? looks like untell we got some cash as a nation, 128 core cpus really dont matter
steam friends is kainhall
Scarlatch View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Scarlatch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 2:41pm
The only thing I could say about outselling the i5's is because the i5's are not as good of a deal as some other processors seem to be.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 4:07pm
6 core from AMD will not compete with an 4 core/8 thread Intel... so Intel is cheaper, and more powerful... pretty easy choice.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by justin.kerr

6 core from AMD will not compete with an 4 core/8 thread Intel... so Intel is cheaper, and more powerful... pretty easy choice.

exactly
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 4:45pm
A Core i7 920 beats out a 6 core AMD? Oof, that's harsh considering hardly any applications can even make use of 6 cores to start with.
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 4:58pm
well, if it is running 6 threads, and the Intel 8 threads, and the Intel will clock higher, seems like 2 strikes against the AMD off the batt.
you might be surprised at how many apps will use 8 threads or more, plus if the program only will utilize 4 threads then you need a couple free threads to keep the OS/other apps going.
Also I could care less how they compare at stock speeds, because that could very well be a different story, I only care about how they perform cranked up. plus the RAM is another big difference..

Edited by justin.kerr - 23 Mar 2010 at 5:00pm
kainhall View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:23pm

justen i like the way you think. now, saying that intel is "cheaper" is a lie, intels motherboards are more expensive, for any socket-part of it is amd mobo support sucks but its still cheaper

how long has teh am3 been out? what about sticking your am3 into a am2???

lets say i bought a i7 board, but 2 years later, omg new socket, my old board is a pice of crap and i how have to buy a new mobo......

and, really, 6 cores i a lot, but like justin said, you still need 2 to keep the apps and os running. so lets assume this is a perfect world where every program uses all threads.

yes it does have 2 more threds, and really, it has the same clock speed. the i7 is still more powerfull, with 8 but when you spend 1500 on a mobo and cpu, i spend 500 on a mobo and cpu and 1000 on some watercooling, ssd's, bling then over clock the hell out of it untel that thing is hitting 4.3 ghz and rape your air i7.

amds bulldozer cores that will have hyper threading amd win (finally amd hyperthreading). now thows are some thing like
  • Tentative release date Q1/Q2 2011
  • so they could be here earlyer if the x6 sells well, or amd switches from atcm or what ever chip maker there using now and goes to a different one with better, newer tech and machines.

im hoping, that q1/q2 2011 that amd can finally beat, or atleast tie the thread count, after that its a mater of first releases and mobo support.

and mobo support is something amd is good at, beign the first, well who is getting 6 cores out first??
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 7:28pm

Intel mobo $169, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130227  Intel 920 $179.00 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0302727  doesn't seems that pricey to me.

Intel has had 6 core chips out for years.

Edited by justin.kerr - 23 Mar 2010 at 7:37pm
    Exsidium View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote Exsidium Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2010 at 8:12pm
    Bulldozer is coming out way too late.. Better late than never doesn't apply the pc market.  Probably not going to fit the am3 from what rumors are around either.  Seems like they're really setting themselves up for a headshot from intel.
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 9:15am
    it also depends on the app, most games, AMD does very well, clock for clock, but I can show you other apps where the new AMD at 3.6Ghz will lose to the i7 clocked at 3.0Ghz...The memory is really a weak point for AMD's chipsets, especially with 6 core..
    kainhall View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 10:59am
    hum, the 920 went down that much?

and of cource the dozer is not going to fit in the am3, its not a k10 chip (from what i understand).

and late then never is bad, but amd HAS to get this hyperthreading out of the way so they can go back to more memory etc, intels 2mb per core is great, amd has 6/4 per core, and the hexas are going to have 1 mb per core. but, if you think as a hyper thread as 2 cores (the i7 having 8 physical cores) the i7 would have 1 mb per core.

and amds very late in the hyper threading game, but now we need tons of cores, the code has been used, and most dev's are getting the hang of multi threaded games and apps.

now, new stuff from intel is always $1000 the i7 was, and the 6 core i7 will be. so if you wnat 6 cores-hyperthreading or not) the amd is cheaper, and will work very well for the middle class family. now i have found a deep pit in the computer rig world, and its really hard to get out of.

in 07 ish, i bought a $3000 gateway rig. then, in 6 months it was outated. now, if i built my own, or bought a DS rig i would have slaped new ram, gpu, cpu right in.

but, my ram is 2 gigs at 477mhz (or close) and the max on my board is only 677. so that makes a huge bottlenech for even a 5770 and a quad core. so i have to buy a new cpu, and a new board, new ram, new hdd becaseu its cheap quality and failing (i have like 20 chvhost or some thing like that shcvhost?) and thats bad. so i have to buy, bacily a new computer. and if i buy the 6 cores, the 5970 i could go for 5 years with no upgrade. my dx11 would be unsupported before my cpu slowed it down, or the ram.

anyway, thats why i buy amd, its cheaper, and i like the fact that am3 is a long lasting socket.  and you cant argue who keeps there sockets the same, or has the least amount!!

DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 12:47pm

the 6 core will be? it has been out for a while now. lol and it is not Intel's first 6 core, that came out years ago.

Intel's new chips are not always $1000.00 the 920 was $299.00 at the start.
    Why get a 6 core AMD when a 4 core Intel is faster, cheaper, and overclocks better, and has a lot higher Memory bandwidth?
    The Intel 775 socket has been around a very long time...and still competes with the new AMD's
    Grandpa View Drop Down

Quote Grandpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 1:36pm
    Maybe Intel doesn't care weather they sell it here in the USA or to our "overseas partners" that have money.  Intel is not an "American" company any more, just like all the others.  They are a world company in a world market.  So when you see Intel stocks climb, it's not because they are selling goods here necessarily, it may be more a reflection of how their products are selling overseas.  If you want to gauge how America is doing look in your own wallet, not the stock market.  You can thank your traitor politicians for that. 
    Alex View Drop Down
    Admin Group
    Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 1:32am
    We aren't planning to offer AMD CPUs anytime soon.
    <8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 1:42am
    Originally posted by Alex

racist!
    Embarrassed
    Kyu View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 2:20pm
    Originally posted by <8) slunK parade

Originally posted by Alex

racist!
    Embarrassed

Smile
    kainhall View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:00am
    no amd cpus???? really, thats why there on your site. and intels chip has 12 threads MAY overclock better, may have higher memory bandwith but wehn you consider teh fact that you cna stick this in am2+ mobo's you find the true value.  thats like sticking a i7 in a lga775 slot. plus amd now has turbo core--amds version of turbo boost to help out in single threaded apps. and what is going to use 12 threads, hell ya for servers, where the costermer does not care if its a real or vertiual core, he just cares about page load times. wich is what the i7 is, a server cpu.  the x6 will be all you need for gaming, unless you can play crysis, bad co 2, MW2, and pong at the some time, then you may need 8 threads (or 12).

now i ammit that intels cpu's are more powerfull, but this chip directly compeats with a overlcocked 920. and most people with i7's (mainly from companys like gateway) have the 920.  and becasue i cant see the posts before the last one, the i7 is 300 bucks for the 920 right??? and a cpu that can beat it stock is 300 bucks??? plus it can  run ddr2 and ddr3 and go into a am2+ socket.

and why not offer amd cpus. there creat cpus. in fact the WORLD RECORD for overclocking was set by a amd cpu. it was under helium and n2 cooling.  so the medium (1055t) is a i7 920, so the 1090t will compeat with a mid level i7.

im not saying throw away your i7's, there great and fast as hell, but for people with am3 soockets, you may want a 6 core.

and amd will have the first cpugpu before intel will. hopfully. and with that, they will finally get on the hypertreading band wagon. so in 2011 we will see more fight out of amd, becaseu the next competion is geting the 5970 inside of a quad core chip. and keeping the price low, something intel ahs never been able to do....
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 11:32am
    I don't know why you keep trying to pimp out the AMD 6 cores... the i7 has been out for a long time, and still beats the 6 core AMD, by a large amount.
    Like I have said many times, if you want some power from AMD get the 12 core chips, infact get (4) 12 core chips, and then you will have decent power. like this.

Scarlatch View Drop Down

Quote Scarlatch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 3:31pm
    Allow me to interject a completely ignorant comment:

Intel is, and will be for the next several years, the king of processors.
    DST4ME View Drop Down
    DS ELITE
    DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Apr 2010 at 5:13pm
    on top of that why did you post this thread here, this has nothing to do with configuration, this thread belongs to hardware section or general section.
    kainhall View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:46am
    actually i was just going to sugest it was moved to something else, but i see you moved it, thanks.

on the note of the x6 vs teh i7 because of hyperthreading....

There are alot of disagreements on this subject.
    But i have viewed ALOT of benchmarks. Stock speed clock for clock,
    the amd x6 will be faster. There are a few places that the i7 will topple the amd x6 and thats in memory bandwidth.

The Amd x6 will probably be around 2-6% faster at stock speeds.
    But with all 6 cores under full load in a well threaded application the amd x6 will shine.

People have given me the argument about hyper threading........
    Let me explain hyper threading. Hyper threading gives a small to mid rang performance boost in highly threaded apps. When hyper threading is enabled, it allows each core to process 2 threads. What people fail to understand is that when you are allowing each core to processes 2 threads, It makes each of those threads less efficient. But together you are getting an overall better performance.

For example
    crysis runs better with HT off
    why? because it is threaded for only 4 cores

so, this means that the x6 directly compeats with the i7's.

jsut a noob question, does intel have the "cold bug" where if it gets to cold--N2 cooling-- it stops overclocking???

DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:52am
    Crysis runs way faster with HT on, I have proved this many times
    kainhall View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 11:01am
    dang justin, that was fast

well, as for hyper threading, if 1 at 3 ghz givers you 3ghz of performance,

1 core with HT at the same speed gives you 4.75ghz not 6ghz so more REAL cores will give you better performance then 3 cores with HT in the case of the x6.   

the upper i7 are more powerfull, but for more money....

crap bell rang g2g
    AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 6:35pm
    Originally posted by justin.kerr

Crysis runs way faster with HT on, I have proved this many times

Justin do you agree with this guys assesment? http://www.overclock.net/intel-general/671977-hyperthreading-games.html

That is; hyperthreading benefits Crysis however overclocking further benefits it even more so if you have a 3.6 with HT or a 4.0 without you'll see more gain in crysis and games without.  This is only in reference to games and not heavy multitasking or video encoding.

I guess i am curious about this subject because I feel I get noticable smoother gameplay in COD4 without HT.

Just curious about your or DST4ME's or anyone with a thought on this.
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:54pm
    overclocking, and hyperthreading, neither will help at all if the GPU is the bottleneck.
    My testing was performed with highly overclocked quad SLI. That needs a lot of CPU to deliver all those frames to the GPU's.  The guy you linked to is running one GPU, so a good dual core would prolly do fine.
    There is always a bottleneck, and if you increase the power to an area that is not bottlenecked, you won;t see any performance increase.
    HT on with windows 7 will average out to be the winner by far over no HT with i7's. but there is also some apps that will perform better without it, but only by a few percent.
    Overall performance with windows 7 will be better with HT on, when comparing clock for clock, but somewhere around 15% more overclock with HT off will match HT on with 15% lower clocks.. still some apps will be faster with HT on, even though it is running 15% slower clocks, but in general that is the breaking point in windows 7, so 3.6Ghz HT on would need about 4.15Ghz HT off to see any gains on average..

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 8:01pm
    OK thanks for that!  Thats exactly what i was looking for.  I was actually able to drop my voltage down to 1.1000 with HT on and now my linx load temps are at 58*C instead of 63*C.  Is that good?  Should I keep trying to lower my VCore?

Edited by AndydViking - 09 Apr 2010 at 8:03pm
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 9:11pm
    no, that is very low, make sure it will pass at least 12 hours of prime95 though

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 9:18pm
    Will do after work tonight.  Small, Large or blended fft's best?

EDIT: I'm guessing small but I have seen people recommend blend.

Edited by AndydViking - 09 Apr 2010 at 9:39pm
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 11:22pm
    blend

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 12:06pm
    Hey Justin I gonna move my OCing stuff to a new thread. 
    kainhall View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 10:45am
    might have to offer amd x6 cpus, look at this

now i dont trust anything yet, but that shows teh x6 only 12x points behind the  i7 965.  given this is a early test, and a chance its faked, i think amd has a chip that could possibly beat the i7 965.

here is the link so you can take a look at it all  

DST4ME View Drop Down
    DS ELITE
    DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:22pm
    lol even if that was true, a 6 six core to beat a 4 core? soon intel will put out their lower priced 6 core and its will be all intel again, assuming the 6 core did actually beat the 4 core. But I have to say, I would not brag about needing 6 cores to beat your 4.

Edited by DST4ME - 12 Apr 2010 at 7:23pm
    kainhall View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:46am
    and what you talking about MY 4, i only have 2 cores, or if you count my server computer 1 core, 512mb ram and a 32 gig hdd and a geforce 4mx.

lol, the intel 980x is in stores FOR 1200 bucks LOLOLOL and you siad it would be cheap, i siad atleast 1000 lol

i will be getting my x6 for 300. thats 1/4 of the price. sure, less performance, 45<32 mn but amd still has a lower thermal rating.  you just wait untell the cpugpu bulldozer is out, I WILL GET MY REVENGE....

but, with most gamnes only using 3 cores, and amd being able to clock said 3 cores higher with turbo boost we should see some amd curb stompage soon. and hyperthreading makes teh cores less eficient so its 3 active cores will be slower then amds 3 cores.

but intel will media bliz the hell out of this chip, while amd sits asside and quitly builds a death machine, just biding there time...... waiting......building......
    DS Veteran
    DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:39am
    you 6 core is over $100 more than the intel 920, and has less potential performance Smile
    your mis-understanding of turbo hurts my brain..
    kainhall View Drop Down
    Groupie
    Groupie

Quote kainhall Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:57am
    but, the x6 beats the 920 and the 930......... and its am3, i lost track of all the intle sockets, how many is there, 8 now

turbo boost

6 toatal cores
    only 3 are being used, others are at 0%
    the 3 active cores will overclock but still be in the 125w thermal

the less active cores, the higher the overclock, to a point

and intel may have won this round, but ati beat the FAILmi gtx 480, all they did is tie or slightly beat the 5870, and the 5970 is only 100 bucks more, and blows teh failmi away in every test.     its all price to performance ratio.  amd will always be cheaper for amd users, thats becaseu they have am3 or even am2+ sockets that are still being used. am3 is amd's MAIN socket, what is intels??? you buy a 1366 mobo, then have to buy something different, swap out the one mobo, then put back in hte old mobo. while i will be fine untell q2/q3 2011 when the bulldozer comes out, and then games will be made for 8+ threads and HT will make sence. HT for single and dual cores is perfect, anything 3 and above is not worth it for gaming. as i said before ht makes every core less eficient. so if you cna only use 4 of 12 threads, thows 4 intel threads will give a performance of say 1000, but amd, with 4 of 6 real cores active, will be mroe efficient, and give a score that is higher.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>