FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Game to Play?

Post Date: 2012-04-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Comet View Drop Down
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: What Game to Play?
    Posted: 14 Apr 2012 at 10:57pm
I have a new DS computer about 3.5 shipping days from reaching me.  I no longer have to work for a living, but was an art dealer, and am buying this computer for about 50% working with art images and HD video clips. But the other 50% of computer use I figure will be with games. I have never played computer games since Myst.

What games should I consider?  I don't have the reflexes I had when I was younger, and suspect that fast reaction FPS games are not going to work well for me, no matter what the computer system with which I am working.  This may not even be the right forum for me. But if you can make suggestions, fine, and if not, then tell me which forum to go to.

My new rig is as follows:

Case:  Mountain Mods H2Go (wrinkle black clear windows with carrying handle)
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K (Overclocked to 4.5 Ghz)
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme X79 (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance

Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Pro Gold Series

Media Card Reader (internal)

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x Corsair 240GB SSD Force GT SATA 6 Gb/s
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 2x 600GB Western Digital VelociRaptor  Raid 0

Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (12x BD-R) (Lite-On iHBS112)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port

Video Card(s): 2x CrossFire Dual (ATI Radeon HD 7970 3GB)
Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) H20
Chassis Airflow: LED Performance Fans (Blue)

Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Office: Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Student (Full Retail Box Packaging)

Monitor:  Eizo Foris FS 2332

Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K90 (Cherry MX Red Mechanical Switch Keys)
Mouse: Logitech G700 wireless
External Backup:  Seagate Black Armor 1Tb (
USB 2.0 or SATA 3Gb/s)

Thanks for any help,

Comet

FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 5:39am
Hi Comet,

You have a great system that cries out for FPS games. Being more mature than some FPS players is a problem in multi-player games. The solution is to play single player. Start with a lower level of the game and then work up to medium or expert if you can handle it. I can't play expert with out getting aggravated by getting killed every time I turn around. Playing FPS games will help you with your response time, coordination and concentration. Get one of the FPS games and give it a try. Battlefield Bad Company 2 is a good place to start. Being old is not a reason not to play FPS games.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 15 Apr 2012 at 8:55am
HAF 922
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DS Certified
Corsair 750TX
HDD-1TB
Optical Drv
ATI Radeon 5870
Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 7:59am
FrankW,

Thank you for the input.  I'll try the game you suggested.

Comet
Tøxie View Drop Down

Quote Tøxie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 8:13am
I am going to agree with Frank on this. I was in kind of the same boat when I got my new Rig. I had fallen out of PC gaming for a long time. Like you, one of the last games I really remember playing was the myst series, with some Age of Empires in there for a bit as well.

I had fallen into more of a console gaming type player with the occasional MMO-RPG thrown in there for a while. Such as World of Warcraft, Star Wars: TOR, Rift, Aion, and a few betas for Guild Wars 2 and Terra recently.

So back to the topic at hand, as Frank stated, FPS games can easily be learned/relearned and skills honed in single player mode before ever joining a multiplayer map. Start with some older, yet still fairly new titles to work with. BF: Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, which still has a decent online play available, and the players seem to be pretty forgiving of the newer guys, and if you can find deals on them, BattleField 3, and Modern warfare 3 can be fun.

Now, if you're into MMO type games, the upcoming Guild Wars 2, is pretty fun, and requires no monthly subscription fees, unlike WoW, Aion, Rift, and Terra.

Also Ghost Recon Future Soldier looks promising, which is coming out in June for the PC. It's a 3rd person FPS though.

Syndicate was a pretty good game, and I enjoyed the play through on the single player campaign. The multiplayer is alright, can be a bit frustrating at times though, especially if you or one of your party have a slower internet connection.

Skyrim, I hear is a fun game, have not got to that one yet myself.

I am sure there are plenty of other games people will recommend, but that is my 2 cents.     
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 8:17am
To add to Frankw"s and Toxie's games, I have played Crysis series, FarCry series and Fallout 3.  They're more layed back and great fun blowing things up.  BF3 MP I play alot and when I'm tired of getting my head handed to me by the one's younger than my 60's, I play on a larger map like Operation Firestorm where i can jump into a tank or LAV 25 and blast away. 

That is a great rig and cries out for good games .

Have funBig%20SmileBig%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 15 Apr 2012 at 8:18am
Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 8:28am
Thanks, guys!  Now I've got a lot to absorb. I assume that I can find online trailers on these games to look at them and their graphics before I buy them?  Toxie and bprat22, both of you mention multiple games. If each of you had to pick a single favorite for realism and adventure rather than simple fast shooting gallery mayhem, what would it be?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 8:41am
Fallout 3 is a post apocalyptic world with great graphics, and lots of different creatures and bad guys to either go after or sneak around and also quests. 

Skyrim is great for a fantasy setting.  Tons of quests and stats to build up.

Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2012 at 10:04am
Thank you, bprat22!  I'll check out Fallout 3 and Skyrim. I like SF and fantasy -- I once went through a cubic yard of SF paperbacks while procrastinating on writing my Ph D. dissertation.  They were a lot more fun than thinking about the Pre-Raphaelites, although I eventually finished both the huge packing box of paperbacks that had been dropped on me for storage and my dissertation. Later, I became a Tolkien freak (I met him once) and, although I hate to admit it, an avid fan of J.K. Rowling. Anyway, both of these titles sound like good bets for me. I'll look for trailers.
asteldian View Drop Down

Quote asteldian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 1:06am
MMO's are always a good option especially if you fear your reaction speed is slowing down.  Even in raids simply paying attention and learning the mechanics will be enough to get you through.

I run a guild in RIft and actually have a number of players 50+, the oldest being 66.  They attend our raids and do a fine job, some take a bit longer to get the hang of it than others, but they get there.

A lot of MMOs tend to have a free trial available.  I know Rift allows you to play to lvl 20 for free.  I think they advertise it on their home page, or just google 'Rift Lite'
Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2012 at 7:17am
Thank you, asteldian.  I'll look at Rift.
aCi11i3s View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote aCi11i3s Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:16pm
Rift is excellent but the world seems very small after a while.  Playing Tera atm, and looks fantastic on my DS rig, plus I'm loving the action combat system in this mmo.  However, tonight I will be playing Diablo III , and CANT WAIT!!!
Comet View Drop Down

Quote Comet Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:04pm
Thank you.  I am such a novice that Rift still seems new to me.  However, it really does not begin to stretch my new DS system in terms of my graphics capabilities. Everything seems to move in very slow time.  Maybe that is just me.
asteldian View Drop Down

Quote asteldian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 May 2012 at 6:01am
An MMO will never stretch your Graphics capabilities on a decent rig, but they are fun.

To test your PC to the limits, you need to look at modern FPS games really as thats where the real resource intensity comes in.

-------------

Rifts  world is not huge but getting bigger every patch, and with the 3-way PvP area coming in I am very excited despite not being a big time PvPer.  I love the constant updates Rift has, never know what's coming next!
 Post Reply Post Reply