FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Well that didn't take long

Post Date: 2013-10-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DreadRaybo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DreadRaybo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Well that didn't take long
    Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 12:45pm
Got my DS desktop back in June and have been loving it. But with BF4 coming out I have discovered that I am already out of room on my SSD. I have a 120GB Corsair Neutron GTX Series (SATA 6Gbps). I'm in the process of uninstalling BF3 and reinstalling it on my E: drive, then I should have room for BF4 on the C: drive.

I thought I have been very diligent about only installing games and other programs on the E: drive. I even installed Chrome on the E: drive, but I think Explorer is on the C: drive. I thought I would have more available space on that SSD. But it appears I can only have 1 BF game installed at a time. Does anyone else with a 120GB SSD have this problem? I even have all of my windows folders like downloads, my docs, my music and such set up on the E: drive. I thought with that size of SSD I would be able to at least have 2 games installed on it at a time. Have they increased in size that much? With BF3 uninstalled I am currently using 60.2GB of 111GB total, with 51.4GB available.

With all of that said, I'm considering buying a replacement SSD at the 250-256GB size. What specs should I look for in a new SSD? What brands are best? Should I mainly be looking at something that is SATA 6Gbps (like my current one above), from either Corsair or Samsung? I see those are the main two brands DS seems to be using.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2013 at 2:39pm
Windows takes up a truckload of space on the drive. I have all my games installed on a secondary SSD while Windows and other small everyday apps (Flash. Java, Etc.)are all installed on my primary SSD - which I'm currently using up 50+GB! Many games are pretty large as well. BF4 is 25+GB!! Chews through your storage rather quickly!

I'd recommend Samsung - 840PRO for main drives and if you're looking for a large secondary, the EVO is a good choice.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 4:09pm
Download Treesize, and scan your drive (run as administrator) to help find where all of your space is going.  Of course ignore any space that is beating eaten up by your windows folder, especially your winsxs folder.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Oct 2013 at 5:36pm
That's always a good idea. I use such apps to figure out where all of my space has gone.
DreadRaybo View Drop Down

Quote DreadRaybo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 6:09am
I took your advice Meller and ran Treesize. As far as I can tell nothing seems out of sorts, except that since I have 16GB of RAM, pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys are taking up 16GB and 12GB, respectively. I've read through a handful of debates about whether to manually reduce the size those files use and whether to try to move them to the HDD, but no one seems to come to a clear consensus one way or the other. If I do a search for pagefile.sys in the forums I come up with nothing. So what do all of you think? At the moment I have 27GB free, now that the only game I have on it is BF4. This should be enough room for additional BF4 content as it comes out, I would think.

Those two files combined are actually the biggest users of my SSD space at 28GB. Then comes program files at 25.5GB, of which Origin and BF4 take up 24.4GB. Windows uses 18.8GB, Users 6.9GB, Program Data 4.3GB and System Volume Info 3.8GB, with everything else using less from there. Do these numbers seem about right to you guys?
 Post Reply Post Reply