FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting for my Apollo... is my build ok?

Post Date: 2015-01-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
engineermarc View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote engineermarc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Waiting for my Apollo... is my build ok?
    Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:23am
Hey guys, I'm new to all of this (gaming pc's, Digital Storm, and forums, haha), so I really appreciate your feedback.

I decided to order my first custom pc from DS because they had the best reviews. I have never built or tampered with a PC, so the most I know about any components is what I read in reviews. I ordered the Apollo, Level 3, and didn't really change any components. I called DS before ordering to ask if they recommended upgrading anything specific and the nice lady said that it was more than enough. After ordering, I have been so excited that I can't stop browsing this forum. What I noticed is that most buyers use 2 graphics cards in SLI instead of the one gtx980 4g that I ordered.

1) Do you think my build is sufficient for high settings on 1080p with decent frame rates?

2) How difficult is it to upgrade to another gtx980 in sli in the future (if i did upgrade, do i need to change anything else below)

This is what I ordered:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Apollo
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z97X-SLI (Intel Z97 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (120GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Seagate)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E ASUS PCE-N53 (Dual Band Performance) (Supports 802.11n/g/b)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Display: Asus 24 inch 248 Series (Widescreen) (Black) (2ms Response Time) (LED Backlight)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 7:52am
Hi engineermarc,

You have a solid build. There are three changes I would make if it was my computer. I would get the PCI AC-68 wireless adapter. Even if you now have a n/g/b router the AC-68 is backward compatible. Then when you finally upgrade to a AC router you will be good to go. The AC router is much faster than a "n" router.

I suggest you go with the 240 CPU cooler instead of the 120. The 120 is OK if you are budget limited but the 240 is a better choice in my mind.

In regards to adding a second 980 GPU. Your GPU is air cooled and it is a simple matter of plugging in the second 980, adding a SLI strap between the unites and setting up the software.

I suggest you get the PRO model Samsung SSD.

Frank

Quote engineermarc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:17am
Thanks FrankW! I really wish that I posted before I purchased; I would have changed those three things. I'm glad that it's not too difficult to add another gpu if needed (but hopefully it won't be).
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 8:48am
Hi engineermarc....   The gtx 980 with a single 1080p monitor will have no trouble giving you some great gaming.  Congrats.  Awesome

Quote engineermarc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2015 at 9:05am
Thanks bprat22! I can't wait to try it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply