Post Date: 2013-10-31

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dharmageek View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dharmageek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Video Editing
    Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 6:30am
I need real feedback please. Logic tells me a gaming machine is overkill for video editing and web design. We do lots of video editing - with Adobe products and Vegas 12.

I am concerned with video rendering speed. And Timeline rendering in real time as well. - Suggestions?

Pro-work means multiple tracks and layers and special fx in transitions, voiceovers, underlayed music tracks - etc.
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 9:33am
Video Editing will use different resources than playing games. The Workstations that DS offers are more in line for those wanting video/3D/workhorse machines and the equipment needed to meet those demands. Video editing requires CPU + GPU + RAM whereas gaming is pretty much GPU oriented. Purchasing a low-end gaming rig with a decent gaming video card with little RAM and a mediocre CPU will not perform very well as a video editing rig. You can still use Gaming GPUs (Radeon or GeForce) but if you're doing high end work, look at workstation GPUs (FirePro or Quadro). Also for CPU power, look at 6-core i7 or Xeon for best performance. And usually the more RAM the merrier when it comes to video editing (also, higher speed RAM benefits those editing video much more than those who are just gaming).

You're pretty much looking for the fastest/best/most of everything when it comes to video editing and that comes with a much higher price tag than what's normally need for gaming. Only you can determine budget and what is going to grind through your workload at fast enough pace.
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Oct 2013 at 10:47am
 A  good place to start your config, following the great advice by fstcvc, is the ODE level 4 for example.  The 6 core chip, its quad channel memory mobo vs dual core for others, higher RAM, and the Titan with 6GB vram might be a consideration.  Of course, your budget, monitor resolution and how many, etc makes a difference.

If you want true water cooling then start with the Hailstorm 2. 

Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Nov 2013 at 12:58am
Gaming machines, depending the level, can make great multimedia machines.

Minus your video card, as most gaming video cards (the 670, 680, 770, 780, titan, and so on) can do video rendering fine, will be your ram and cpu.  That's pretty much it.  Where games can't utilize the hyper threading in an i7, most media editing software can.  Also, more ram/faster ram is much more of a benefit in media work.  When gaming, most gamers want a high OC. With a high OC, means slower ram.  When doing media work, you'll benefit much more from a stock cpu, with high speed ram and more ram.

That's truly you're only difference.  Buying full quadro cards for thousands of dollars is fine and all... if you're planning on rendering images that take months to make.  So yes, you can buy a gaming machine, just simply don't worry about a huge OC (as it's really pointless anyways) so you can get faster ram and you'll be completely fine.  No need to drop a lot more money on a workstation or a quadro/firepro gpu.

dharmageek View Drop Down

Quote dharmageek Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2013 at 12:16am
Wow Thanks everyone that is very helpful.
 Post Reply Post Reply