Post Date: 2014-04-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Haabster View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Haabster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: VIDEO CARD ISSUE
    Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 5:50pm
hey all. I have the EVGA GEFORCE GTX670 as part of the ODE build. I have been getting into playing The Elder Scrolls Online and it seems like if I play for more than 5 minutes on High setting and even Medium sometimes my computer turns off even though all fans and lights are on. I made sure to update my driver on the video card and am wondering if any of yall might have some guidance or other ideas to correct this issue. thanks.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:22pm
If your computer just turns off while playing, it's either overheating or your power supply is going bad.

Try running "Hardware Monitor" which is a monitoring software on your computer while it's idle on the desktop and post the results here. If the CPU is getting too hot on idle, something is going on with your cooling system.

If temps are fine, and it's shutting off, it's most likely your power supply.

It could also be that if you have it plugged into a low-end power strip or battery backup, the system is not getting enough juice, try plugging it into the wall outlet directly to see if that helps.
Haabster View Drop Down

Quote Haabster Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Apr 2014 at 6:39pm
ok so I cannot figure out the uploading thing so I will breakdown what I received from the Hardware Monitor.

Value/Min/Max (All in degrees C)
motherboard Temp
TZ00           28/28/28
TZ01           30/30/30
SYSTIN        29/29/30
CPUTIN        34/34/39

video card temp
TMPIN0        38/38/61
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 3:02am
Hi Haabster.... Sorry to hear of the issues. What cpu and cooler do you have?

The 4 cpu core temps are the important ones, assuming a 4 core cpu. Also the gpu core temp for your graphics card farther down. The rest of the temp readings don't mean much.

If the temps get into the high 90s then that's probably your issue. If so, make sure the fans for your cpu cooler are spinning.   Also, if you have a sealed liquid cooler like a H series or Vortex 120, put your finger on the pump unit on the cpu and see if you can feel it working.

Have you cleaned the rig of dust build-up?   Use a compressed air can to blow out any dust clogging the cpu coolers fins behind the fans. If it's an air cooler the fins mount over the cpu. If a liquid cooler then the radiators mount either to inside back wall or under the top.

Your video card temps should also be below 90s. Check the cards fan and blow the dust out of it from fan toward the rear exit vents.

If the temps in HWMonitor are below 85c then it could be the psu as Alex said.   Remove the ODE's bottom filter that slides out the back and clean it. If it's clogged your power supply might be overheating with no airflow to it.

Good luck and let us know.

ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 6:37am
Instead of buying compressed air, i recommend you buy this i bought it the other day and it works pretty darn good. It blows some serious air so if you do buy it don't put it to close to your computer:

http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-ED500-500-Watt-Electric/dp/B001J4ZOAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398260214&sr=8-1&keywords=metro+vacuum+ed500+datavac+500-watt+0.75-hp+electric+duster+120+volt

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 23 Apr 2014 at 6:40am
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Online Status: Online
  Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Apr 2014 at 2:31pm
Haabster,

We'll need more data to help you figure this out. Both bprat22 and ArkansasWomen777 have done a great job to help as well. .

If it's easier for you, please contact our team, we can help figure this out for you as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply