FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velox

Post Date: 2014-08-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ragevirusqq View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Velox
    Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 9:27am
Budget:

Expectations:
cold gaming low temps - future proof 3-5 years - awesome aesthetics

Usage:
Gaming! - dual 1080p monitors now - 4k in future maybe add a second GPU

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #:
Configuration Code:     1030358
Configuration URL:     https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1030358

Aesthetically this is my dream machine. the second i saw this i started planning how to get the money. bye bye project guns and bikes.
Seriously considering ordering this. looking for thoughts about the build from community. thinking of using my first DS system as media PC in the living room.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:38am
Hi Rage...  That build looks good to me.  Drooling    The Velox is a nice design. 

I would suggest upping the psu to a 850watt minimum if not a 1050watt if you plan on adding another Titan Black later on.    850watt for sure and the larger one for the added draw from overclocking. 

With the cards under water, adding another will be a bit more work to hook the added card into the loop, but certainly doable.  Just a heads up.  You could go sli, 2x gpu up front with the single  R9-295x2 or a sli, 2x 780ti, etc and not worry about the water loop, but that kicks you way above budget. 

The Hailstorm Base plate under Chassis Mod I don't believe will fit in the Velox.

Looks Great and good luck.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Aug 2014 at 11:06am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 10:45am
For a primarily gaming system, drop the Titan and go to a 780 Ti, it is better for gaming. I would go with the "Digital Storm RGB LED Lighting System (Requires Thermal Management Control Board & Software)", you are already going with the control board and this way it can be set to change colors if temps become an issue. It isn't clear to me from the writeup if all the fan ports are filled or not. If they are, you shouldn't need the fan upgrade. If you want to preserve the option for SLI, you should switch to a 1000W or higher power supply.

I am assuming you intend to add hard drives you already have for addition storage. If you aren't I would add a hard drive for additional storage.

One more thought, Nvidia is expected to announce its 800 series desktop graphics cards on the 17th with parts showing up in early October.

Edit: One more thought for 4k Nvidia preforms about 5% under AMD right now for comparable cards. Though Nvidia does offer some features that AMD doesn't (like Twitch streaming). Here is a recent buyers guide for graphics cards: http://www.anandtech.com/show/8225/best-video-cards-june-2014

Here is different build with a closed loop liquid cooler for the CPU and a dual GPU AMD graphics card with an integrated liquid cooler: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=1030398. That would get you significantly under your budget.

Edited by danjw1 - 14 Aug 2014 at 11:00am

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 12:34pm
awesome guys thank you for all your suggestions I certainly have a lot to consider. ill keep u guys updated as to which direction I decide on before I pull the trigger.

I wonder if waiting for the 800 series is a smart idea?

My thought on the Titan Black is the VRAM as for future use i thought that it would perform better for 4k applications.

Ill definetely update the power supply I hadnt thought of that. also good call on the lighting and i d already have plenty of storage drives to add
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 12:43pm
Yeah, the Titan Black and 780ti are about the same gaming performance, but the Titan Black gives you double the vram for 4k. It helps but not sure the added cost is worth it right now, but the future might make stronger use of it.

The 800 series is rumored to have 4gb vram. More than the 780ti but less than Titan.   The rest of the card is bound to be stronger and maybe for less money.   All speculation.

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The 800 series is rumored to have 4gb vram. More than the 780ti but less than Titan.   The rest of the card is bound to be stronger and maybe for less money.   All speculation.

Yes, we will, hopefully, know more about the 800 series cards on Sunday. From what I have read it isn't yet clear that the 880 will be more powerful then the 780 Ti. My thinking is that if I am considering dropping $1000 on a graphics card, I would want to make sure I didn't regret it in a few weeks.

Quote Ragevirusqq Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2014 at 2:06pm
yea i guess im gonna wait a few days/weeks and see what the 800 series info brings.
Caymus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Caymus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2014 at 11:51am
I like the Velox case especially as I would like to stay within a these dimensions. ... interesting when I do a build identical to the same build starting with the Hailstorm build (case) and substitute the Velox the dollar difference is approx $40.
 Post Reply Post Reply