FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanquish 4 Overclocking

Post Date: 2013-11-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diamondrock View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Diamondrock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish 4 Overclocking
    Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 7:49am
Greetings, all.

I'm very pleased to say that my Vanquish 4 has passed stage 7 and is on the way. I'm very excited to get it, but since I've never had a real gaming rig (my whole life up to this point has been spent toiling on store bought Dells and the like) I thought I'd try and educate myself a little before the computer arrives in a week or so.

My main question right now has to do with overclocking... I've never had a PC with an overclocked processor, so I'm not 100% clear on exactly how it works or what I should be prepared for. My understanding is that the Vanquish 4 comes pre-overclocked (which I suppose is good as I wouldn't know how to do it myself anyway).

That said, I've heard that overclocking can cause negative performance issues (with Windows, for instance) and overheating. Is this something that I should be worried about? And if it is, will there be a way for me to disable the overclocking? Ideally I suppose it would be best if there was a way to turn it on or off as needed (off when I'm doing work and on when I'm playing something like Skyrim, for instance).

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing (obviously DS wouldn't overclock it if that was going to cause any serious issues), but I just want to be sure I'm fully educated when the time comes so I can hit the ground running.

Thanks,

DR
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 7:59am
Hi Diamondrock...  The oc'ing done by DS is perfectly safe.  Its stable and will not lead to an early cpu failure.  Its only when the oc is pushed to higher limits , where the vcore, voltage on the chip, is too high, will issues come up.

There are times, but not for most, where you might have to have DS tweek the oc after delivery if you get an oc issue, but that's pretty uncommon.

You can go into Bios, DEL key while booting, and select F5, load defaults, and F10, save and exit to get rid of oc.  You can always put it back by going back into Bios and under Tools tab for some motherboards, load where DS does store the oc profile and you're good to go.

The oc'ing is off at idle but kicks on when the rig is under stress.  You can download and use for free, cpu-z to check the oc'ing and HWMonitor, to check your cpu cores and video card gpu temps.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Most of us have had oc'ing for years with zero issues.  It is worth having.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Quote Diamondrock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 8:02am
Thanks for the quick response! That's exactly the kind of information that I need. As I said, I figured it wouldn't be a problem but I do want to make sure I'm educated. I may be the computer expert in my family, but that isn't really saying much... Hahaha
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Nov 2013 at 8:14am
My pleasure.  Big%20Smile The more you get into it the more comfortable you'll feel with the new rig.

To check your oc when it comes in, load and run cpu-z, as I said, and stress the rig, even Windows Experience Index will do it , and check the core speed in lower left.  It will be in MHz, so 4200 MHz would be your 4.2 Ghz overclock.  It will be there, but some like to check it. 

Quote Diamondrock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 1:03pm
I've heard that there are applications that will allow you to check (or at least get some sort of vague idea) of what temperature the rig is running at (to help me keep an eye on potential overheating). Is that true, or will I just have to play it by ear?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 1:14pm
Download and run HWMonitor when you get the rig. It'll show you the temps on the 4 cores of your cpu and the gpu temp of your video card.   It's an excellent program. Temps are typically in the 70s centigrade when under load but even low 80s is good.

Quote Diamondrock Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 2:54pm
Exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thanks again!
fstcvc View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote fstcvc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2013 at 9:20pm
DS usually has these programs in a folder on your desktop when you get your machine. I had to download newer versions as they wouldn't run on Win8 for me but they are free so wasn't a big deal...
HailStorm II
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz
Asus Maximus VI Extreme
16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
3xSLI EVGA SuperClocked GTX TITAN
Samsung 840Pro SSD 256GB+512GB
HydroLux+XSPC CPU/MoBo/GPU Liquid Cooling
 Post Reply Post Reply