FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vanquish 2 lvl 4 vs virtue config

Post Date: 2014-08-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Trevail View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Vanquish 2 lvl 4 vs virtue config
    Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:35am
Budget:
$1300 top without shipping

Expectations:
Decent budget computer for gaming.

Usage:
Gaming and lite video watching

Special Needs:
prefer no overclocking and do not need a ssd. Windows 7 if possible.

Saved Ticket #: 1035608 compared to a vanquish II level 4

Would like to have the nvidia 770 in the vanquish but the specs on the saved ticket seem better. Any changes for the better within budget are welcome. Thanks for any advice.
Chino View Drop Down

Quote Chino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:40am
On your config, why did you select K version if you aren't going to OC? Anyways you can't OC the 4690k with the H81m motherboard so no point in selecting the K version. Stick with the Vanquish level 4 as it has best price/performance like other has said. Btw GTX 770 will last you longer than a 760 based on longevity.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:48am
Yep, great advice.   The only reason to get your Virtue build over the Vanquish lvl 4 is if you absolutely do not want an SSD or windows 8.    

The gtx 770 in Vanquish 4 will give you a good 20% better fps in gaming over the gtx 760.

If you stay with the Virtue build then drop to the 4590 as Chino suggested.   Saves you another $60. 

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Aug 2014 at 8:49am
Trevail View Drop Down

Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 8:56am
Thanks, not sure how I missed changing the k version, that savings of $60 may bring me close to getting a 770 over the 760.

If I do make the changes of dropping the proc and upgrading to the 770 is the vanquish still better?
Trevail View Drop Down

Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:07am
Ok made a few changes by lowering the processor, thanks for pointing out. I also dropped the air stage one cooling which allowed me to get the Nvidia 770.

config# 1035630

I really do not like win 8 and do not need the extra cost of a ssd if I can spend that in another area. A ssd that I could fit all my games on I would buy but way out of my price range right now.

Edited by Trevail - 22 Aug 2014 at 9:08am
Chino View Drop Down

Quote Chino Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:20am
Honestly, I think you should just go with the Vanquish level 4. It's giving you better price/performance. IMO, an SSD is needed for gaming nowadays and it boots windows so fast. I don't recommend you going with stock CPU cooler even though you aren't overclocking. Its just a no-no. I also don't like Windows 8 but hey, gotta try out new things right?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:24am
If you don't want Windows 8 at all, then that's the way to go.  It's the same gaming performance as the Vanquish 4, but you are paying extra Not to have an SSD and Win 8. 
The SSD does give you much faster boot to Windows and makes loading refresh screens in-game smoother, but your choice as always. 

You must really hate Windows 8.  Hahaha     

Looks good and good luck.  Stay in touch and lest us know how it goes.  Big%20Smile

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:32am
I agree with Chino in getting the after market cooler.  You can get by without it with no overclock, the Vanquish 3 does, but you'll see better cpu temps with it.   In the right environment like a heavy cpu game it might help.   Plus ,  the after market cooler sends the heat toward the rear fan and out of the case.  The stock Intel cooler dumps it into the case. 

Just our thoughts. Big%20Smile
Trevail View Drop Down

Quote Trevail Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:34am
Main reason for not liking win 8 is I play a lot of older games dating back to win 98 days even. A friend has win 8 and has found a few games that she has not got to work on win 8. Every game I own works on win 7. Nothing against 8 itself just prefer to stick with what I know works with the games I play.

As to the SSD I see the advantages but with a library on steam of over 150 games with about 40 to 50 on system at a time ( I jump around alot ) I would have to make hard decisions as to which few got to be on the SSD. Unless even with all games on the regular hard drive I would still see improvement with an ssd.

Boot times are no problem, come home, turn on computer, fix a snack, back to computer and its ready. I also saw one reason I had left the k version of processor in, the 4690k has a speed of 3.5 vs 3.2 on the 4590, thought in my CPU heavy games that extra would help. especially in Landmark.

Thanks for all the advice, i was able to make changes to my config enough to add the nvidia 770 which is nice. Will see if I can push up budget to include the better cooling, if it helps cpu that much it will be good for landmark which is very CPU intensive.

Edited by Trevail - 22 Aug 2014 at 9:37am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2014 at 9:40am
Got it.  Big%20Smile

True, the 4670k does have a faster base and Turbo speed. 

You gotta get what makes you happy...and comfortable.   Go for it.  Big%20Smile

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 6:08am
You could buy Windows 7 and install it yourself. It might be more work then you want to do with a system you purchase, but is an option and might be cheaper then the difference between the two systems.

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-System-Builder-Packaging/dp/B00H09BB16/ref=sr_1_1?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1408799090&sr=1-1&keywords=windows+7
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2014 at 6:27am
From a bystander's point of view... an opinion.

I used 95, XP and Vista at home before DS (and Mac OS /shudder)... I am using WIn 7 everyday at the office... and now with my Vanquish II (Ult) I am using Win 8.1.

I was prepared to hate 8.1 with every fiber of my being.  It was mentioned that 8.1 runs directx and games faster so I chose it, again, preparing to despise every moment with it.

Maybe it's just me.  I picked it up very quickly and now it's just the better OS for my little corner of the world.
 Post Reply Post Reply