FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

UPS solution?

Post Date: 2012-06-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Doxiedad View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Doxiedad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: UPS solution?
    Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:48am
I currently have an APC Back-UPS XS 1000 that I bought in 2005. It needs new batteries and that will run me about $85.

With my new marauder on the way I've been wondering if I needed an upgrade? Not really interested in a lot of runtime just want to protect my new investment.

Mine is the old style white tower http://www.flickr.com/photos/29770579@N08/7172784851

So what would you advise? New batteries or a new UPS?
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 9:18am
Check the power requirements of your components then evaluate if your old UPS is up to the task versus an upgrade being necessary. I guess if it's near the end or past it's service warranty that's another thing to consider.
Doxiedad View Drop Down

Quote Doxiedad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:14am
Originally posted by barbitque

Check the power requirements of your components then evaluate if your old UPS is up to the task versus an upgrade being necessary. I guess if it's near the end or past it's service warranty that's another thing to consider.

It's a marauder lvl 2. It comes with a 600W power supply so I guess it uses 600W?

The Ups is just needing new batteries, works fine now but when power goes off the computer loses power instantly.

Not interested in long run times. I just thought a UPS was better protection than a surge protector. The one I have now is rated for 600w
barbitque View Drop Down

Quote barbitque Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Doxiedad

Originally posted by barbitque

It's a marauder lvl 2. It comes with a 600W power supply so I guess it uses 600W?

The Ups is just needing new batteries, works fine now but when power goes off the computer loses power instantly.

Not interested in long run times. I just thought a UPS was better protection than a surge protector. The one I have now is rated for 600w

Well don't dilly dally around you make the call and get er done.Big%20Smile If you need to keep the expenses down just get new batteries. If you want to upgrade go for it.
westom View Drop Down

Quote westom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 6:08am

Not interested in long run times. I just thought a UPS was better protection than a surge protector.
   Why would you assume that?  Did you view manufacturer spec sheets?  A typical UPS claims near zero surge protection.  Only useful function of a typical UPS is temporary and 'dirtiest' power during a blackout.   But again, where is a UPS spec number that says it does more?

A majority believe a UPS does surge protection because advertising says so. And other only assume so.  Manufacturer can also say the moon is made of blue cheese as long as the claim is subjective.  Subjective claims - lying - are legal.  View spec numbers.  Near zero protection?

A typically destructive surge is hundreds of thousands of joules.  How many joules are listed in its 'Surge Protection' chart?  Hundreds?  That means protection inside every computer should be superior.

UPS battery was replaced.  Is the UPS doing anything?  Disconnect the computer.  Only power an incandescent light bulb from the UPS.  Then pull the UPS plug from the wall.  Does the light bulb stay lit?

The phrase is specific and therefore relevant.  It must be an incandescent bulb - not any other type of light.  What does the UPS do?  And again, do not make any assumptions from observations. Only report the results to learn about things you still do not know.

Doxiedad View Drop Down

Quote Doxiedad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 6:49am
Originally posted by westom

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 1.2pt 0.6pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>

Not interested in long run times. I just thought a UPS was better protection than a surge protector.
   Why would you assume that?  Did you view manufacturer spec sheets?  A typical UPS claims near zero surge protection.  Only useful function of a typical UPS is temporary and 'dirtiest' power during a blackout.   But again, where is a UPS spec number that says it does more? <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0.6pt 1.2pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN> <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0.6pt 1.2pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>  A majority believe a UPS does surge protection because advertising says so. And other only assume so.  Manufacturer can also say the moon is made of blue cheese as long as the claim is subjective.  Subjective claims - lying - are legal.  View spec numbers.  Near zero protection?</SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0.6pt 1.2pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN> <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0.6pt 1.2pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>  A typically destructive surge is hundreds of thousands of joules.  How many joules are listed in its 'Surge Protection' chart?  Hundreds?  That means protection inside every computer should be superior.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0.6pt 1.2pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>  UPS battery was replaced.  Is the UPS doing anything?  Disconnect the computer.  Only power an incandescent light bulb from the UPS.  Then pull the UPS plug from the wall.  Does the light bulb stay lit?<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0.6pt 1.2pt 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 11pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>  The phrase is specific and therefore relevant.  It must be an incandescent bulb - not any other type of light.  What does the UPS do?  And again, do not make any assumptions from observations. Only report the results to learn about things you still do not know.<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 11pt"><o:p><FONT face="Times New Roman"> </o:p></SPAN>

On my old APC UPS the batteries are completely shot. They haven't been replaced in the 6.5 years I've owned it. So it needs new batteries, that's about $85 if i get them from batteries plus.

It's only a 1000VA rated unit, and from the research I've done I'd need at least a 1100VA unit for my PC, Monitor, DSL modem and Router.

I'm looking to either get another APC or a Cyberpower. Does anyone know what if any difference there is between the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/CyberPower+-+1500VA+Battery+Back-Up+System/9646228.p?id=1218136407035&skuId=9646228 and the http://www.bestbuy.com/site/APC+-+Back-UPS+XS+1300+VA+Tower+UPS+-+Black/9307797.p?id=1218081367657&skuId=9307797
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 10:57am
Looks like the first one (CyberPower - 1500VA) is a better choice, more value, better rating, and more power).
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 11:41am
I'd choose the Cyberpower between those two options, for sure. 
Doxiedad View Drop Down

Quote Doxiedad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 1:18pm
Well I went to go buy it this morning. No one in my area has the cyberpower in stock. My Marauder will be here Thursday so I went with the APC model. I did find it on sale at officemax for $149.99 though :)

Thanks for the input and advice.
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 1:21pm
Sometimes a sale trumps all Wink
Doxiedad View Drop Down

Quote Doxiedad Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Tidgxor

Sometimes a sale trumps all Wink

A sale and just being able to get my hands on one. I was not going to put my new system on my old UPS, and I was not going to not play it LOL
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:42pm
Oh definitely, that is never an option LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply