Post Date: 2015-04-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tboy72 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tboy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: upgrade to windows 8.1 pro
    Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 6:15am
I currently run windows 7. I'm thinking about upgrading to 8.1 pro. Will all the hardware on my rig run on windows 8.1 pro? Will I have problems if I upgrade?
Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI
12 GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator
SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD
GeForce GTX 760
Noctua Dual 120mm High Performace Cooler
Creative Sound Blaster Z SBX S card
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 7:30am
Microsoft has a compatibility checker you can use to scan the pc and see the results.    I haven't used it for 7 to 8.1, but might be worth a look-see.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Apr 2015 at 7:30am
Tboy72 View Drop Down

Quote Tboy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:21am
Thanks. Ill check.
Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI
SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD
GeForce GTX 760
Steven View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Steven Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 12:12pm
Windows 10 is also coming very soon™ according to Microsoft.

The last rumor I heard was June-ish.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 2:33pm
Hi Tboy72,

I would not update to 8.1.  Win 10 will be a free update for Win 7, 8 and 8.1.  No need to update to 8.1 and then to 10.  If your copy of Win 7 is up to date, you can get a free update to 10.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 25 Apr 2015 at 8:59am
Tboy72 View Drop Down

Quote Tboy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 5:03pm
Thanks. Maybe Ill just wait for windows 10.
Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI
SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD
GeForce GTX 760
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 9:31am
Yes, at this point I'd say wait for 10 as well, but your hardware should run 8.1 with no issue.  Ever since Windows 7, which actually was better with the same hardware than Vista, I haven't seen any hardware creep that we saw in the past, where each generation of Windows required newer, faster hardware.  At this point, as long as you have 4GB or RAM and at least a dual-core proc, you shouldn't really see much difference in performance between 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (maybe).  There might be a slight difference, but not very noticeable.
Tboy72 View Drop Down

Quote Tboy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:18am
Thanks. I appreciate it. What I was wondering though was why is Microsoft giving free upgraded to those with windows 7 and 8? Won't they be losing a lot of profit?
Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI
SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD
GeForce GTX 760
armyslowrdr View Drop Down

Quote armyslowrdr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 10:57am
I got the 8.1 and have it set up to appear and behave as close to Windows 7 as I can get it. I have not noticed any degradation of performance.

Now a few months ago it was said to just leave automatic updates on and 10 would be pushed out. Yesterday I got an email from MS asking for me to "sign up" for 10.

I think I will be sure to not sign up and also to turn off automatic upgrades. I want to see what 10 will be like 1st even if I have to pay for it if I eventually decide I want it.

My fear is it will not be possible for it to behave like 7 at all. MS is earnestly trying to push for an eventual cloud based and mobile platform to serve all. If that means they give up a few dollars now to capture a captive audience, that's what they will do.

Very suspicious.....
Apollo "Viking"
I7 5930K, ASUS X99-DELUXE
32GB DDR4, Corsair AX1200i
Two Samsung 256 GB 850 Pro SSD
One 4TB HD
AMD Radeon 290X
HydroLux Level 2
Tboy72 View Drop Down

Quote Tboy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Apr 2015 at 11:24am
Originally posted by armyslowrdr

I got the 8.1 and have it set up to appear and behave as close to Windows 7 as I can get it. I have not noticed any degradation of performance.

Now a few months ago it was said to just leave automatic updates on and 10 would be pushed out. Yesterday I got an email from MS asking for me to "sign up" for 10.

I think I will be sure to not sign up and also to turn off automatic upgrades. I want to see what 10 will be like 1st even if I have to pay for it if I eventually decide I want it.

My fear is it will not be possible for it to behave like 7 at all. MS is earnestly trying to push for an eventual cloud based and mobile platform to serve all. If that means they give up a few dollars now to capture a captive audience, that's what they will do.

Very suspicious.....

I signed up for the Windows 10 upgrade too. I guess I was under the impression Microsoft would ask before pushing the upgrade to me.

It makes sense that they would give the upgrade to get the audience now and get their money later.

I have to admit that I don't know much about what Windows 10 is going to look like.
Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI
SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD
GeForce GTX 760
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Tboy72

Thanks. I appreciate it. What I was wondering though was why is Microsoft giving free upgraded to those with windows 7 and 8? Won't they be losing a lot of profit?

I would say there are at least a few reasons:

1) Adoption of Windows 8/8.1, especially in the enterprise, has been far worse than they hoped.  Windows 7 was adopted by enterprise in a much bigger way, and even though Windows 8 was available when XP support fell away, most businesses went to 7 rather than 8.  Now, I am not sure what the cost to enterprise will be on Windows 10 as the "free" upgrade is directed at consumers, but getting that out there to more people more quickly will probably help push adoption by enterprise.

2) Windows 8 (and to a lesser extent, 8.1) has a Vista-like reputation amongst those who aren't so technologically savvy, and even among many of those who are.  By all reports and early word-of-mouth, Microsoft is going to bring us Windows 8 R2 with Windows 10, just like Windows 7 was basically Windows Vista R2.  If we see that kind of jump in quality and reputation that Windows 7 had, then Microsoft will have another carrot—another quality OS like 7—to offer the enterprise, where they make most of their money.

3) Windows as a service.  Offering 10 free is probably their first step to making Windows a service rather than hard upgrade every few years, just like they're doing with Office 365.  It is likely, but not guaranteed, that at some point in future, Windows will be offered on a subscription basis, where you get OS updates and the latest features just like you do with a lot of applications these days.  Sending Windows 10 as a free update to 7 and 8/8.1 gets people used to receiving OS upgrades via this new model, rather than the traditional, boxed, hard upgrade one.

4) Windows 10 for all devices.  Tied in to my previous point, Windows 10 will be closer to Microsoft's vision of a single OS for all devices, thinking which has been spurred by the mobile revolution and which they took a step towards with Windows 8.  The mobile model for OSes is what we see in point 3, with pushes of updates as they become available.  In mobile, you don't buy an upgrade package and then either upgrade or do a clean install yourself: you just take the more incremental OS updates as they come along, with (ideally) little to no interruption of your workflow and how your PC or other device runs.  It just keeps going on, just like your smartphone or tablet does after an update.

I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are ones that strongly come to mind for me.
Tboy72 View Drop Down

Quote Tboy72 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2015 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Roykirk

Originally posted by Tboy72

I would say there are at least a few reasons:1) Adoption of Windows 8/8.1, especially in the enterprise, has been far worse than they hoped.  Windows 7 was adopted by enterprise in a much bigger way, and even though Windows 8 was available when XP support fell away, most businesses went to 7 rather than 8.  Now, I am not sure what the cost to enterprise will be on Windows 10 as the "free" upgrade is directed at consumers, but getting that out there to more people more quickly will probably help push adoption by enterprise.2) Windows 8 (and to a lesser extent, 8.1) has a Vista-like reputation amongst those who aren't so technologically savvy, and even among many of those who are.  By all reports and early word-of-mouth, Microsoft is going to bring us Windows 8 R2 with Windows 10, just like Windows 7 was basically Windows Vista R2.  If we see that kind of jump in quality and reputation that Windows 7 had, then Microsoft will have another carrot—another quality OS like 7—to offer the enterprise, where they make most of their money.3) Windows as a service.  Offering 10 free is probably their first step to making Windows a service rather than hard upgrade every few years, just like they're doing with Office 365.  It is likely, but not guaranteed, that at some point in future, Windows will be offered on a subscription basis, where you get OS updates and the latest features just like you do with a lot of applications these days.  Sending Windows 10 as a free update to 7 and 8/8.1 gets people used to receiving OS upgrades via this new model, rather than the traditional, boxed, hard upgrade one.4) Windows 10 for all devices.  Tied in to my previous point, Windows 10 will be closer to Microsoft's vision of a single OS for all devices, thinking which has been spurred by the mobile revolution and which they took a step towards with Windows 8.  The mobile model for OSes is what we see in point 3, with pushes of updates as they become available.  In mobile, you don't buy an upgrade package and then either upgrade or do a clean install yourself: you just take the more incremental OS updates as they come along, with (ideally) little to no interruption of your workflow and how your PC or other device runs.  It just keeps going on, just like your smartphone or tablet does after an update.I'm sure there are other reasons, but these are ones that strongly come to mind for me.

That make sense. Thanks.
Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI
SanDisk Extreme Pro SSD
GeForce GTX 760
 Post Reply Post Reply