Post Date: 2014-06-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BulletStopper View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BulletStopper Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Updating my Rig
    Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 4:31am
Haven't posted much but have remained a lurker.

I purchased my DS rig almost 5 years ago and even with a couple of video card upgrades, I'm noticing it is getting long in tooth and time for an upgrade.

I mostly play MMO's and other simpler web surfing, minor graphic design (purely hobbyist). 

I'm currently at 1920x1080, single montior but my desk doesn't have room for a dual monitor setup, and I plan to jump to a 27 inch monitor at 2560x1440and want to continue playing with the "eye candy".

Will a single 780 reliably support my desired resolution, or do I need to make the jump to SLI?

Here is what I'm currently working with.  I would love to jump higher, but I also want to  stay married Whoa.

I want to stay under $2500.

Configuration Code: 993520

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Digital Storm Coridium
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i5 4690K 3.50 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (ETA 6/25/14)
Motherboard:  ASUS Z97M-PLUS (Intel Z97 Chipset) (MATX)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair CX750M
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (250GB Samsung 840 EVO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 3GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: Digital Storm Premium T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by BulletStopper - 15 Jun 2014 at 4:44am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jun 2014 at 4:55am
Hi Bulletstopper... I like that rig.   

First off, going sli will possibly blow your budget and stress the marriage.    I can relate.

If High gaming and not Max is good for you with that monitor, and it is great gaming, I'd go with the gtx 780ti. It's more money but will give you 20-25% better gaming over the 780. The 780 will play nice but strain more than the 780ti. Get the best single card the wallet allows.   

You can always drop to 8gb ram. It's all gaming needs as of now.

The rest looks good and hope this helps.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2014 at 3:56pm
I would suggest going with the Z97 Sabertooth mobo over the Z97m Plus board...Sabertooth has a way better 5 yr warranty, and would hold your options open for adding that 2nd 780 or 780 Ti for an upgrade to SLI down the road. The Z97m-Plus board only supports dual v-cards using AMD Crossfire.

If you took BPratts sage advice on using a single 780 Ti and also use the Sabertooth mobo, you are still just under your budget target at $2460.

Hope this is helpful. I have purchased 3 DS rigs with Sabertooth mobo's and I can definitely recommend them as solid dependable gear.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 11:45am
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

I would suggest going with the Z97 Sabertooth mobo over the Z97m Plus board...Sabertooth has a way better 5 yr warranty, and would hold your options open for adding that 2nd 780 or 780 Ti for an upgrade to SLI down the road. The Z97m-Plus board only supports dual v-cards using AMD Crossfire.

If you took BPratts sage advice on using a single 780 Ti and also use the Sabertooth mobo, you are still just under your budget target at $2460.

Hope this is helpful. I have purchased 3 DS rigs with Sabertooth mobo's and I can definitely recommend them as solid dependable gear.

This is a micro-ATX case so the Sabertooth is too big. The Gryphon is the comparable micro-ATX motherboard both are TUF motherboards. Updated your build with the Gryphon and the 780 Ti: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=996434

The only issue I would see with going that route is that if you decided to add a second graphics card, you would want a higher wattage power supply. Something on the ~1000W+ range. That would burst your budget limit.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 12:08pm
The Coridium, the Corsair 450D, can take a full size mobo.  So, both the Sabertooth or Gryphon work well.  
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2014 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by bprat22

The Coridium, the Corsair 450D, can take a full size mobo.  So, both the Sabertooth or Gryphon work well.  

Opps, I looked at it and thought it was the Virtue (350D). ;-)

The Gryphon has one less internal USB 3.0 header, 2 less PCIe 1x slots and a different audio codex. And costs a bit less. It also offers the option to go with the 350D case, which trims a bit off the cost as well. Those edits with a 1000W Strider power supply comes in at $2528. And would get him to an SLI upgradable system: https://www.digitalstormonline.com/configurator.asp?id=996468

Edited by danjw1 - 20 Jun 2014 at 12:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply