FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trying to figure out a build

Post Date: 2014-08-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nekollx View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nekollx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Trying to figure out a build
    Posted: 06 Aug 2014 at 5:58pm
Budget:
Up to $2100

Expectations:
I need a rig that can handle 3d modeling, gaming, and school work.

Usage:
I'm a newly minted Wii U Developer with a game i'm developing for Steam, I'm also perusing my BS in game programming and need a rig that can handle DAZ 3d and eventually Blender/Maya for 3d modeling. And Gaming. Benchmark wise i'm looking at Skyrim on Ultra with mods for 4k textures so i know i'll need a strong video card.

Special Needs:
Considering that my current rig is a Lonovo g510 laptop even the lowest $699 option would open up worlds but and i would go with that but i wont settle for anything less then a Quad core and those are all duel core. I already have a Logitec G19 keyboard, Corsair Gaming Mouse, and 2 HD/HDMI enabled LCD TVs i'm using as monitors so it's really just the box I'm in need off.
From what i do now i know i need at minimum 8 GB of RAM
And since i plane to stream/capture game footage using a second box and a AVerMedia Game Recorder -C985 Live Gamer HD. Game Capture/ Live Stream HD 1080p I'm not too concerned recording lag as that will all be off box and the box itself can focus on gaming/testing/rendering without a hit to it's own performance.
And of course i need a SSD OS drive and a proper storage drive so that's a issue
I'd also ideally prefer a Bluray optical not a DVD
Lastly is upgradability, I've built pcs for years, i know what i'm doing and can swap parts, replace the CPU, do just about everything so a good low or even Mid Range box is fine since i can upgrade it later.
Honestly I'd be quite happy with the Vanquish II since my like work horse was a Dell XPS 15 and matching the performance of that is easy after this much time.
Since i have rock bottom expectations as it is but the lack of Quad core and lack of 2 HDDs are a sticking point and just not sure where to go from here.

On a side note I'd also like to build my capture box through Digital Storm but since most of the work is from the capture card would the non costomizeable Vanquish II be a viable platform?

Saved Ticket #: N/A

Specifications:
N/A
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 3:03am
Hi nekollx... Welcome to the forums.   I don't do streaming or capture so can't answer some of your questions.   

The Vanquish lvl 3 and 4 do have the Quad core 4590 cpu. It's a locked, non-k, chip meaning no overclocking but still a 4 core.

The level 4 does also have your SSD for OS and a secondary HDD.   For a second HDD, you can add another yourself easily since the H81 motherboard has an extra, unused SATA port for the data line. Swapping your optical drive is the other option.

The Vanquish is pre-built so no changes so if you wanted more options you'd need to look at a level 2 Apollo, Virtue, Slade, etc. More money for the same default performance but the options are vast.

Hope this helps and good luck.

danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 10:56am
The Vanquish uses the Corsair 230T case, it is a standard ATX case. It supports has 3x 5.25" drive bays, 4 3.5" drive bays and 4 2.5" drive bays. It has the standard 7 expansion slots. It comes with 2x 120mm fans in front and a 120mm rear fan. It can also take 1-2 120mm or 140mm fans on top and a bottom 120mm or 140mm.

The Vanquish system is the best price for performance you can get from DS. They are pre-built and cannot be reconfigured. Once you get it, you can make any changes you like.

The problems you would have with upgrades goes with the other components. The motherboard is a MicroATX motherboard that only has 2-DIMM slots, and 1 PCIe x16 slot. So, the only way to go to a multi-GPU build is to use a mulit-GPU graphics card. The power supply is 600W so driving a current generation multi-GPU card could be a problem for it. The CPU isn't unlocked, which severely limits its overclocking ability. Please don't take this a criticism of the components, they are all high quality, just that they are on the lower end of the range.

That said Broadwell, the next generation of Intel processors are expected near the end of this year or early next year. I am not sure if the motherboard will support the Broadwell processors, but its BIOS was updated to support the Pentium Anniversary Edition Processors, but it may. Intel has stated that the Z97 and H97 will support the Broadwell processors.

Nvidia is expected to release a new generation of GPUs, based on their Maxwell cores, in early October from the latest rumor. This is expected to be the highend GTX 880 part. We may know more about this next week at the end of Gamecon on the 17th. Here is the source: http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/gigabytes-gtx-880-g1-releasing-early-october/.

There is a lot of question about time frames for product releases because both Intel and TSMC have been have trouble with their die shrinks. The Nvidia parts said to be on the same, 28nm process(?), as the current generation of GPUs.

I hope I didn't confuse things more for you. But, since you are concerned about the upgradability of the system, I thought I should lay this all out there.
nekollx View Drop Down

Quote nekollx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Aug 2014 at 7:13pm
Thanks, that's all very useful. Yeah i was looking at the Vanquish Level 4 (and the other lines), kinda split now after goiving everything a complex once over. Really build would be better then what I have but the Slade really speaks to me. I leave in Sacremeto where our average Temperature is 90-100. I do have central air but since my office is also my bedroom nois reduction and no lights on the interior are really what I'm after but any of the customizables can add noise canceling Even the Virtue so maybe i'll just go with a base Virtue and add as much noise canceling and fans as i can. Another thing i like about the customizables is the LaserMark, honestly i wish i could get that on a Vanquish as i'd like to Brand my Main unit and my capture unit with my two big projects And i just don't see needing more then a Vanqish for what is going to be a giant box to capture footage off the screen of the main box
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 11:25am
Corsair does sell a version of the Virtue (Corsair 350D) without a window. DS would probably add a special order fee. Windows don't work well with quite and then Stage 2 noise reduction would make more sense (or adding noise absorbing foam yourself). Though with no window, you don't you can't get a laser mark. A little more expensive, but the Slade (Corsair 550D) comes with noise reducing material in the side panels.

Links to reviews of both those cases:
Corsair 350D
Corsair 550D

Edited by danjw1 - 08 Aug 2014 at 11:26am
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 1:47pm
Just a point of note - I believe you can do lasermarks on the non-window metal side panels, in case you're thinking of going the Slade route but still want the lasermark.
nekollx View Drop Down

Quote nekollx Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Aug 2014 at 5:15pm
i thought so too Eggy at least that what the options seem to imply, and really id rather avoid windows myself
 Post Reply Post Reply