FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Titan X 4-way SLI power usage?

Post Date: 2015-03-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TechNewbie View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TechNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Titan X 4-way SLI power usage?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 7:37am
Hey everyone,

Just curious, noticed the Titan X was released like a week ago? How much would 4 Titan X's use much power? The Superclocked version at stock, or in boost mode? Would the 1500W Corsair AX1500i suffice? Going to put in my order in December. Waiting for the 390X to drop in June, or July right? Hopefully it will alter the Titan X prices like with the Titan Z's.

Best regards,
TechNewbie.
Where there is love there is life. - Mahatma Gandhi - Rest in peace.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 10:56am
With 3x Titan X in SLI running at stock speeds and an Intel 5960X, the test system was pulling about 900W.

Adding a 4th will push it to about 1150W with stock speeds. The AX1500i should be fine.
TechNewbie View Drop Down

Quote TechNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 11:06am
Originally posted by Nav

With 3x Titan X in SLI running at stock speeds and an Intel 5960X, the test system was pulling about 900W.

Adding a 4th will push it to about 1150W with stock speeds. The AX1500i should be fine.

Hey Nav,

So the remaining W should be alright for some overclocking? Also thanks for the answer.

Best regards,
TechNewbie.
Where there is love there is life. - Mahatma Gandhi - Rest in peace.
michaeljhuman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote michaeljhuman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 12:06pm
I wonder if 4 way SLI scaling on the Titan X will be worth the money. 3 way scaling looks reasonable, per a maximum PC test.

They even suspected CPU limiting. I also wondered if their test system had enough PCI lanes for their 3-way SLI. It looked ok for some games, so perhaps so

Edited by michaeljhuman - 26 Mar 2015 at 12:07pm
"The other day, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. What an elephant was doing in my pajamas, I will never know"
 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote  Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2015 at 2:46pm
I'm not sure if the Titan X's prices will drop like the Titan Z's. The Titan X is essentially a 980 Ti with more memory and the 'Titan' branding, which NVIDIA is trying to use to justify the high price. The older Titan's and Titan Black's did not come down from their $1000 price points.
Nav View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Nav Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2015 at 11:43am
Originally posted by TechNewbie

Originally posted by Nav

Hey Nav,

So the remaining W should be alright for some overclocking? Also thanks for the answer.

Best regards,
TechNewbie.

Should be fine as long as you don't give them too much of a power % increase. Monitoring the power being drawn with the Corsair utility while running something like Heaven benchmark will help you see.
 Post Reply Post Reply